PDA

View Full Version : What about an "all-types-of-art-a-thon" on June 19-21??

HHC
05-05-2009, 07:59 PM
There are some of us who are unable to attend the June 19-21 ArtforAll in Indy this year or the UK Artfest June 12-13 :sad:

And since we all seem to enjoy "a-thon" weekends in all their various formats, this crazy idea came forth:
What if we hold an "all-types-of-art-a-thon" play day the weekend of June 19-21. As in draw, paint, collage, zentangles, inchies, chunkies, gothic arches, charms, etc... whatever you want.
Then post what you've done to the thread, share techniques, chat, arrange trades, or just enjoy the eye candy! An internet art party!

This would be intended for those of us who cannot attend the ArtforAll or Artfest, so we can have an art party when the atmosphere will be extra charged with artistic energy.

Is that a crazy idea? Am I just feeling sorry for myself because I can't attend this year? ;) Would anyone else be interested?

Rogue Gal
05-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Me! Me! I will play!

HHC
05-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Yay! There's someone as crazy as me! :D

hayward_cs
05-05-2009, 08:45 PM
I would def be interested. Not sure what I can bring to the table, but I'm game to try ;)

HHC
05-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Well... you just need to make some art and share what you make. After this past weekend's collage-a-thon, I'm thinking you have a few things you can bring to the table. :D

HHC
05-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Anyone else have an opinion?

Linda4atc
05-06-2009, 01:33 AM
I think it sounds great. I never know how much time I'll hav if my husband is home, but he could end up working weekends once fireseason starts.

I am crazier than you Helen, I was thinking we should maybe extend it at least two or three days after the Artforall because they may bring home new ideas or items to trade!

boatbird
05-06-2009, 06:49 AM
This sounds good to me! It's my birthday on the 14th June and my OH will be sailing back from Holland so I will probably be all alone (unless my mum manages to visit for a while) so I definitely need something to keep me occupied!

Chardonnay1965
05-06-2009, 07:14 AM
I'll play..sounds like fun....:D

mrubyjean
05-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh, I'm so glad you suggested this! As it gets closer, I am starting to feel bummed I can't make it to Artfest. Thanks, HHC!

Patti M
05-06-2009, 05:24 PM
and if I buy my laptop before then - I'll check from Artfest and let you know what's happening so you can all join in- if I was home I'd def join you in this. Great idea HHC!

Patti
05-06-2009, 05:31 PM
I'll try to remember to attend -- it sounds like real fun and since we can't go there it'll be fun to get together here.

bastcrystal
05-06-2009, 07:50 PM
I'll join :-) It sounds like fun!

lini
05-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Patti - I'll have my laptop at Artfest! So, we will be able to watch what everyone is doing on line.

KatieV
05-06-2009, 08:50 PM
It will be fun to see what you all are up to -- great idea!!

HHC
05-06-2009, 08:54 PM
I love the idea of connecting with some of you while you're there. Fun, fun! :jiggy:

Patti M
05-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Well, we will try our best to post sober thoughts!!! But no guarantees :goofy:

Just Ducky
05-07-2009, 01:28 AM
ohhhh goodie... the bosses will be away to Indie... and we can have a PAr-tee...
us poor :( stay at homers... will have our own Fest....
count me in... oh... now I gotta start getting ready... I never ready...
thanks Helen... great idea...

Norabear
05-07-2009, 09:45 AM
I think that would be great!

Theresagram
05-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Me too!! I will play!!

jaw
05-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Sounds Great!!! You're a party hound Helen!!!

thepozbabe
05-10-2009, 06:52 AM
I would probably be working that weekend but like the last CAT, i managed to make & trade 10 cards in a short time. So i would love to do this one. There is always time for an inchie or an ATC. It's just gotta be done. So can i join the crazy gang too please?

HHC
05-10-2009, 09:24 AM
thepozebabe... yes indeed! Anyone can play or just poke their head in to see what's happening.

JoyFlower
05-10-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm feeling blessed that I get to go to the Indy gathering, but I love this idea!! And I will look forward to peeking in to see all the yummy art y'all make! ;)

thepozbabe
05-10-2009, 06:42 PM
I will be looking forward to this one. x

themuppet
05-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Me me!!! I was planning on going to Indy, but now I'm going to have a bunch of dental surgery done on the 17th, so I won't be able to go, which totally bums me out! If I'm coherent enough (yay pain pills!), I'll definitely be doing a lot of art, so I'll make sure to pop in!

chaosatlanta
05-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Sounds like a great idea! Count me in.

Linda4atc
05-18-2009, 01:55 AM
My husbands Aunt will be visiting around that time, I hope I still have the free time for this....

Cheery
05-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Sounds fun!!

sometomato
05-31-2009, 09:00 PM
I am definitely IN for this play-a-thon (my first such event, friends!) I am so poor from being out of work for months due to my shoulder injury that I really couldn't figure out how to attend the big event in the Midwest. :unsure: I was feeling really "down" because now that I know how fun it is to get together with other ATC-ers personally (thanks to Nora Bear, Ceedee and others at the Minneapolis gathering last summer), I felt left out. Now I won't!;)

HHC
05-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Sometomato, I'm glad you'll be joining us. :D And Linda4atc, you can pop in to visit even if you don't have time to create anything. It's just one big e-party. :D

Linda4atc
06-05-2009, 06:40 PM
LOL Yes well now that I've ended up haveing surgery, our visit with the Aunt will have to fit into my schedule. At the last minute I did toss some inkpads, rubberstamps, and a couple boxes of paper along with some collage images int the car. I had planned to only have my hand drawing stuff during my recovery. So I think I'll be able to do something that weekend.

tutuglenna
06-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Will there be beer??????

HHC
06-06-2009, 03:01 PM
And wine too... at least in my play room. ;)

Patti
06-06-2009, 10:42 PM
And don't forget the Bailey's. Jean and/or Lisa might show up if we have Bailey's.

HHC
06-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Ah yes, we definitely will lay in a stock of Baileys.

Theresagram
06-07-2009, 12:00 AM
I might just make a big pitcher of margaritas!! Woohoo! :jiggy:

Just Ducky
06-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Par-tee... did someone say PAr-tEE ???? I am so ready...
theresa.. make 2 pitchers... I will grind the ice fer ya....

Baileys' oh boy.. there goes the neighborhood... :swoon:

Ibus
06-07-2009, 07:00 AM
I'll play! A-thons are fun, but never been able to do my fabric cards in one before :laugh:

jonquil
06-07-2009, 09:58 PM
I am so ready to play - after my first CAT this weekend I am going to get things cut out and organised in preparation. I will ensure there is a ready supply of cheese & crackers and some other nibblies to sustain us during our endeavours

Batraplume
06-08-2009, 07:11 AM
That would be great but I'm not sure to be at home that weekend. I'll know it at the last minute, I'll let you know!

Manxie
06-09-2009, 05:12 PM
After my first CAT I would love to play again - but I might be away - so I too might be at the last minute! It sounds great anyways.

Just Ducky
06-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Question.... I would like to do some tags... chunkys.... maybe a cd.... but....
should I only expect to trade for same kinda thing ???? or do you think I could trade for a ATC ....
just wondering is others are doing or wanting "other art" I thought maybe people that haden't done chunkys or tags or what ever might like to see or want something that they
haden't tried yet....
input ??????

tutuglenna
06-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Hey....Ducky. I think you can do any art you want to whether you want to trade or not. This is just the Booby Prize for not being able to attend the other group. I hope to join in for the "social" but may not do a lot of trading since I have a zillon family birthdays coming up in July and I always try to send off that little something "personal". I already have my Baileys. LOL.Hope to see you.

HHC
06-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Ducky, you can create whatever you wish, and can trade it however you wish or not at all. If someone wants your gorgeous Tag, you can determine if an ATC works as the trade...
And maybe you are working on your personal journal pages and have one you want to "show off", you can post that to share knowing it's not for trade.
Whatever floats your boat, basically. ;)

I do have the wine cellar stocked for the occasion, by the way. LOL

Just Ducky
06-12-2009, 01:10 AM
so.... we having a party, with a little art thrown in ..... now this is what I call
a fun... fun... weekend a-comin.... gotta go to store in the morning... get some more hair
dye.... hair is looking sad... and wanna be lookin goooooooood...

Theresagram
06-12-2009, 11:42 PM
My dil's baby shower is that Saturday, but I'll still be around for the rest of it! Woohoo!

grammyquilter2
06-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Dye?? for your hair???? Ducky, I thought you buy dyes for doing background papers...

phinnyart
06-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Hi, T! Hi, grammyQ! Hi, Helen! Hi, everyone!

Sounds like a good time to me. I will play, too, unless a major catastrophe happens. (*knock wood*) :)

HHC
06-13-2009, 12:38 AM
This is shaping up to be a great weekend! Those folks in Indy will be jealous of how much fun we're having. LOL. ;)

Just Ducky
06-13-2009, 12:41 AM
folks ??? where ???? oh them.... as they say... Let them eat cake...
we got a Happening comin' right here...

jonquil
06-13-2009, 12:49 AM
we have indeed got a gathering happening - I am making some backgrounds, cutting some 4x4 card for some chunky pages and punching out some 1 inch blanks - I'm ready!!!!! HHC I have a few bottles of bubbly to add to the cellar

chaosatlanta
06-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm wrapping up my other projects so I'll be ready for whatever artistic whims arise. Too bad we can't put together goodie bags ... but I'll be ready for some interesting or unusual trading.

Linda4atc
06-13-2009, 03:12 PM
I'll be here at least for the Saturday and Sunday since my sweetie will be working. But I have a very limited amount of art supplies here at the apartment. I did toss in a couple of boxes of paper and images so I can do something other than hand drawn. And I almost have all my swap projects completed.

HHC
06-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Goodie bags... goodie bags.... hmmmm........

We could also post and swap goodie bags, couldn't we? There are no "rules", and I just love goodie bags. Whatcha all think?

jonquil
06-14-2009, 12:07 AM
goodie bags - most definitely!!!!! - I am going to start putting some together when I get back from doing the grocery shopping

jonquil
06-14-2009, 12:09 AM
I just worked out we can abbreviate "All-Types-of-Art-a-Thon" to 'A TART' :D

grammyquilter2
06-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Thanks for suggesting goodie bags for those of us whose Muse is still missing to unknown worlds....Will have some 12 yd assorted fibers envies ready if nothing else....

thepozbabe
06-14-2009, 04:55 AM
I just got my work rota & i can play Saturday evening & all day Sunday. WooHoo !!! I can't wait. LOL. I have never done chunkie pages so think i may go read up on them and have a go otherwise it will probably inchies, twinchies & ATC's.

sweetest-sin
06-14-2009, 05:08 AM
I just worked out we can abbreviate "All-Types-of-Art-a-Thon" to 'A TART' :D

haha sooo cute
im in
ill be putting a willing to trade for:..... thing:D:D:D

chaosatlanta
06-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Ooh - "A Tart a-thon"! Mmmm tarts ...

HHC = the Queen of Tarts

How will you be doing goodie bag swaps? 1 on 1?

HHC
06-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Ooh - "A Tart a-thon"! Mmmm tarts ...

HHC = the Queen of Tarts

How will you be doing goodie bag swaps? 1 on 1?

Who's calling me Queen of Tarts??? :eek:

I'd think we'd do the goodie bags 1 on 1... same as trading ATCs. You can work it out between yourselves if you want to do more... same as trading ATCs. :D

chaosatlanta
06-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Who's calling me Queen of Tarts??? :eek:

ha-ha. No offense meant. You did start the ball rolling on this ... so it is only fair for you to be the Queen. Now you must make yourself a lovely embellished crown to wear next weekend.

HHC
06-14-2009, 11:19 AM
LOL, no offense taken. And I have a tiara that I can add a few embellishments to make it just perfect for the a-thon. LOL! :D

Theresagram
06-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Oooh, I have a tiara too. Are we getting ourselves fancied up for this one then? :jiggy:

Linda4atc
06-14-2009, 01:07 PM
I want a tiara!:rolleyes:

jonquil
06-14-2009, 10:40 PM
I have some goodie bags ready to go - 6 of them!!!! I have also made 40 ATC backgrounds that are of the stamped/paper serviette variety - a few might find their way into the goodie bags;) I am also going to cut out some inchie blanks this evening

HHC
06-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Jonquil, you are way too organized! :D I have ideas for some goodie bags, but that's as far as I've gotten. Although I do have some backgrounds ready... and images to clip...

I just found out I work Sunday so will have a bit less time than I planned to play. A bit of a bummer, although I may be able to check in with you from work if it's slow. Except we're having a sale this weekend so slow may not be an option.

HHC
06-14-2009, 11:44 PM
I dare say you all will be more than able to take care of yourselves... it's just whether you can stay out of trouble. LOL!

JoyFlower
06-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Woot! You ARE having a party!...and you don't even have to go through airport security. ;) I will be checking back to see what's happening "here" while I am "away".

Manxie
06-15-2009, 10:43 AM
This sounds like it is going to be a fun weekend - so I do hope to join in - I might even try to make up some small goodie envies too if I get time. :)
what are chunkies & twinchies please? Not something I have come across before as I am quite new to swapping my "makes" and have only done ATCs for swaps or trading - and only trading since I joined this site.

Linda4atc
06-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Chunkies are usually 4"x4" and made on sturdy board like a small childs book, decorated both sides then embelished with chunky items and or fibers. Pages are traded and owner will turn them into a book.

Twinchies are 2"x2", Inchies are 1"x1" and like atc's these are to be made on something sturdy, decorated front only with username and info on the back. Twinchies are often traded as two piece set. and Inchies are usually done as 3, or 6 in a set but it varies.

Ifyou go the the forum and look under Mail are trades and Mail art Swaps you will see lots more than atc's to play with.

Linda4atc
06-15-2009, 10:57 AM
I will most likely being doing inchies and twinchies as well as atc's. I'm not really collecting Chunkies right now so I do not know if I'll work on those or not.

Manxie
06-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Thank you Linda4atc - thats really helpful. :)

Linda4atc
06-15-2009, 05:40 PM
I printed out a bunch of MonaLisa's in different sizes, and have been busy cutting out all the little pieces so I can do altered monas like the inchies in my Gallery. I have them in inchie, Twinchie and a few atc size. So if anyone collects altered Mona's .....

I also carved a simple dragonfly stamp, (I only have an exacto knife to work with) I will play with that this weekend.

Ibus
06-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Got a whole heap of neat fabric and buttons and things this weekend, so I'm ready to play! Will sit and cut out pelmet vilene backings beforehand though.

Patti
06-15-2009, 07:32 PM
I hate buttons. Any kind of buttons. They skieve me.

Ibus
06-15-2009, 07:33 PM
They do what? :eek:

Patti
06-15-2009, 07:47 PM
skieve: give me the shivers and goosebumps.

sueatbwp
06-15-2009, 08:11 PM
O.K. I think I'm in......who knows what the weekend will bring but after the last CAT I have finally gotten my self and my space back to being organized a bit. Love the goodie bag idea. Love the name A-TART! AND I also own a tiara! So I'm good to go.

grammyquilter2
06-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Now I can say I am in also....I got some Hair dye (yeah, Ducky) and found an antique waxed blossom tiara to remake for a Victorian bride doll but I will wear it this weekend instead, have cereal box blanks cut out and fibers already measured for goodie bag, and may even get more stuff done before PARTY TIME! Not to mention being out of a job gives more time for priorities like ATC's. LOVE the A-Tart a-Thon name, and a Peach Bellinni to Queen of Tarts for thinking of this....:jiggy:

Patti
06-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Are we going to start a new thread for the A-TART-a-thon? Or just continue on with this thread? I need to know so I don't miss it. It seems I almost always miss 'em.

nancyjb
06-15-2009, 10:23 PM
I was nearby and heard something about Baileys being around?! I'll be here! I am scrapbooking at a friends on Saturday, but I will check in.

HHC
06-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Are we going to start a new thread for the A-TART-a-thon? Or just continue on with this thread? I need to know so I don't miss it. It seems I almost always miss 'em.

Hey ya'll, we are going to start a new thread, and I'll post it here so you can find it easily. I'll probably do it Wednesday morning...

This is going to be fun! :D

jaw
06-16-2009, 12:57 AM
I have a crown ... I will wear it, make art, then burn it in my Solstice fire ... that will be a healing thing ... This will be fun!!! I am working Fri and Sat, but have Sunday to play ... have some backgrounds ready and just need to get some inspiration ... so START INSPIRING ME ...... PUH-LEEEEEASE!!! :o)

Just Ducky
06-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Pattie.... buttons give you the shivers ???? I get the shivers if my buttons aren't buttoned

TART... hay great name...this will probably work for a bunch of us party gals...:jiggy:

goodie bags.... now this is an added extra great idea.... will start gathering...
I have been having fun making paint bucket and shaving cream background papers so think I will do some for goodie bags...

So Helen... if you working Sunday... who ya gonna name as TART Queen in Waiting. ???
ya know we can't be left along .... we will need a keeper....

Jaw, just hang around here a bit and YOU will be inspireted... no..make that inspried...

Chardonnay1965
06-16-2009, 01:26 AM
well I am home today....well i came home half way through the day..I feel like crap..so I decided to come read this thread......hopefully I will feel better in time for the athon...

Chardonnay1965
06-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Pattie.... buttons give you the shivers ???? I get the shivers if my buttons aren't buttoned

TART... hay great name...this will probably work for a bunch of us party gals...:jiggy:

goodie bags.... now this is an added extra great idea.... will start gathering...
I have been having fun making paint bucket and shaving cream background papers so think I will do some for goodie bags...

So Helen... if you working Sunday... who ya gonna name as TART Queen in Waiting. ???
ya know we can't be left along .... we will need a keeper....

Jaw, just hang around here a bit and YOU will be inspireted... no..make that inspried...

I think that would have to be sniisk..lol

theweavershand
06-16-2009, 01:41 AM
Ok...I've never been part of an a-thon so I dont know all the ins and outs...and we are having out of town guests for the weekend so I dont know if ill even have time but this sounds like so much fun. i was bummed about missing all the fun this weekend at artfest too. im sure i can read somewhere about a-thons but can someone just give me the highlights and explain the goodie bags? do we just post off and on throughout the weekend showing off and trading what we've made?

jonquil
06-16-2009, 02:10 AM
theweaversnahd - that's pretty much it - for this one you cane create whatever you want and let people know if its available for trade. Goodie bags are some things you :Dput together it could be papers, ephemera, images, fibre, fabric, stamped images - pretty much whatever you want. I have taken photos of the contents of mine and people can trade if they like them. Hope this helps

theweavershand
06-16-2009, 02:23 AM
it does! thanks a lot jonquil!

sniisk
06-16-2009, 06:29 AM
I can't play before Sunday evening but hope there are still some players then :).

sueatbwp
06-16-2009, 08:15 AM
sniisk....your Sunday morning is our Saturday evening.....so I think there will be some of us around!

sniisk
06-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Yep, I think so too :). I can make cards on Saturday but because I'm having a holiday and traveling, I don't have an internet access every day.

HHC
06-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Ducky, have I mentioned you make me laugh? You are all a riot. This is going to be fun. So I work at a paper/stationary/art supply store, and Sundays are really slow, so we'll see what I can get done as a "demo" at work, and perhaps we'll have time to check in.

Tamrantula
06-16-2009, 10:13 AM
I hope to play some..but, I have promised myself to get caught up first, before I allow myself to play more! I have 2 4X4's to finish and mail, about a dozen ATCs from the CAT to finish and mail (SORRY everyone! Been a busy, crazy week!) and a few other bits and bobs for my ATC site, that I have sadly neglected this month!
I only have Friday off work to play...that all being said....I SURE HOPE to play in this a-thon!

It looks to be a fun and lively time!

mrubyjean
06-16-2009, 11:38 AM
This is a great idea...and I hope to play! I work both Saturday and Sunday, however...computer access, but I can't bring many art supplies to the library with me! I will try to fit my art around this inconvenience.

Jean
06-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Tarts??? Baileys??? I am IN!

Not sure about goodie bags, but I have made my first twinchies and like that size...and inchies. Not sure what I'll be doing, but prolly some inchies and maybe twinchies and who knows?? *adding Bailey's to shopping list* I'm ready! *looking around for likely tiara materials*

Manxie
06-16-2009, 12:54 PM
This sounds like its going to be one helluva party!! Hope I can keep up - I have got a lot of ATC blanks ready, and hope to make some background papers later this evening. I need to check out twinchies I think so off to have a looksee!

HHC
06-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Twinchies are fun. They are double inchie size, did you know? LOL! I may have to do some this weekend too.

jonquil
06-16-2009, 09:17 PM
twinchies, inchies, chunkies, tags, goodie bags, ATC's - so many choices - keep us off the street;)I am searching for my tiara and will have it ready for the weekend

HHC
06-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Oh yes, tiaras... I have one with feathers that I'm going to alter just a bit. It's almost summer solstice here, so it's getting some silk flowers and ribbons. :D

Linda4atc
06-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Hey anyone want to contact me about a trade ... I'd love to get some nice collaging napkins, I'd like to know what you would like in return, I just can't seem to find napkins I like.

ask me for anything you want, I may have it, but I do have ribbons, sequin trims, dictionary pages, hymn book pages, several tissue papers, some different embelishments. It's hard do be sure since some stuff is here and some is at the property, I think I have some yarns here but not sure what ....

jonquil
06-17-2009, 12:09 AM
I have some lovely napkins - can scan some pics and you can let me know if you'd like them

Linda4atc
06-17-2009, 02:22 AM
Cool, I think I'm going to end up with enough napkins to play with for awhile!

HHC
06-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Okay kids, the Art-a-thon thread is up and running. Note the start time is 12:00 noon on Friday June 21. :D
http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?p=454248#post454248

Manxie
06-19-2009, 01:57 PM
I just got back from work - fed the family - and now can play!! WOOHOO! GOT my tiara on and my glass!