Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Swap Due Date - April 9th
Signup/withdraw date - Feb 29th
Number of Cards - 5 for 5
Number of participants - 25 Max

Bamboo Cutter Daughter's 5 Impossible Tasks

In the ancient Japanese folk story "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter," he finds a daughter 3 inches tall in a stalk of bamboo. She grows into an incomparable beauty, and all the men of the realm wish to catch a glimpse of her, and the bold among them want her hand in marriage. Unfortunately for them, Kaguya-hime (the daughter) has no interest in marriage. And yet, 5 suitors continue to express their ardor for months, even years and beseech the bamboo cutter to speak with his daughter. In response, she assigns each suitor a task. If any of them accomplish this task then she will marry the one that succeeds. These are the tasks she assigns (each suitor is assigned a different task):

1. To obtain from India the stone begging-bowl of the Buddha
2. To fetch a branch of a tree that grows on the mountain in the eastern sea. It's roots are silver, the trunk is gold and the fruits are pearls.
3. To bring a robe made from the fur of Chinese fire-rats
4. To fetch the jewel that shines five colors found in a dragon's neck
5. to present to me a swallow's easy-delivery charm.

When informed of these tasks the nobles and princes exclaimed, "Why doesn't she simply say, 'Stay away from my house!'?" They then left in disgust. Yet each prince attempted (and failed) to achieve their task.

The swap? To create 5 cards- each card to represent the items to be obtained by the suitors. (So your first card would be the Buddha's bowl, the 2nd would be the tree branch, etc...) And what, pray tell, is the swallow's easy-delivery charm? Well, that remains unknown, though it has to do with laying eggs. All Middle Counsellor Isonokami got for his troubles was a handful of bird droppings and a broken back. This should make for some creative cards...

Here are the players
Red = received
Dark Orchid (purple) = complete
* - I know you made it to the new site

*1 jklee - withdrew
*2scampersue
*3 Corrie04
*Gretchen/ Egod
*5 dhawktx
*6 stormarela
*7 mynameisjenn
*8 fingers
*9 coffeelatte
*codesmom
*11 cmarois
*12 pumpkincoach
*13 sallyann
*14 marla412
*15 tiaragoth - withdrew
*16 fuzzynoodle - withdrew
*17 LavenderLizard
*18 yatsu
*19 syanne Bleu/jenniferm - withdrew
20 kaypendragon - received
*21 jitterbug/ jlb
*22 insanebrainpain
23 krzykitty
*24 dragonflygal987
*25 SweetOne

Last edited:
Glad to see folks coming in. Yes - pancake machine. In truth, I probably should have stuck with my usual name until the transition period was over, but my kids suggested pancake machine and I thought it too much fun to pass up.

Great new username! By the way, my cards have not gone out yet. I hope to get them mailed in the next few days.

No worries pumpkincoach - the deadline still feels far off, so you can even take 3 or 4 days if you want ;)

Thanks to those that have checked in so far. I'm going to do a little searching by the old screennames - so if you don't see an asterisk by your name could you PM me or post to the swap? Thanks

Allen - I just pointed Tiaragoth over here, so she should show up in the next few days.

Hello again, everyone...can't wait to see pics of what you've created for this one.

Allen,
As you marked me (Gretchen) received, you probably also know that I have a new name: egod (not a comment, just a shortening of my maiden name). As you already had my cards, everything having to do with them is still marked Gretchen.

Hi Allen!
It took me a while, but I am here!
Stacey
a.k.a. dragonflygal987

Thanks for everyone that has let me know so far. I hope that ScamperSue's surgery went well and that she came through with flying colors. I have 10 people left that I am not sure about. 2 of them have already submitted cards so they are part of the swap, but you may not be able to leave feedback.

Otherwise - all is good. Except that Gretchen changed her name when she came to the new site. Geez - now who would do something like that! (oh, hey, wait a sec...)

I'm here at the new site too as Jitterbug. Still want to be a part of this. Was thinking of tying to carve stamps for these - still in the planning stages! :twitcy:
Hi to all! JLB

I'm here now, too :) Yay!!
I'll have mine to you (hopefully) in the next few days as well.

Back
Top Bottom