Thread: ATC 103 : How to Trade ATCs at AFA

Jean is offline Artist in the Lucy Ricardo tradition
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

ATC 103 : How to Trade ATCs at AFA

New to trading ATCs? Here are some tips to help you jump into the fray.

1. Create a stash of tradable cards. What is a tradable card? It is:
    --the right size: 2.5x3.5 inches
    --cut straight and neatly
    --with elements attached securely, if applicable
    --signed on reverse with your username and real name (some folks add their contact info, website, media used, etc.)

2. Scan or photograph the cards and upload them to your gallery. This is not strictly necessary, but it is far easier to trade when you have a gallery of cards from which your trading partners may chose. However, many members will agree to blind trades, especially with new members. I see blind trades as an act of faith in me, so I really work hard to do my best work on these.

3. Invite a member to trade with you. Do this via PM. If you just leave a comment in the gallery, it may be days or weeks before the artist sees it. Do not be hurt if the member says no; many members are overcommitted, have nothing in their availables gallery, or collect very specific themes.

4. When the trade agreement is made, pack your cards securely. This can be as simple as a plastic sleeve and a piece of cereal box for protection. Including a note of thanks is a courtesy - some members are disorganized or forgetful, as I am.

5. Mail the card as agreed upon, usually as soon as possible. Some members, like myself, prefer to have the mailings synchronized; this prevents a trader from being 'out' a card or left waiting while I labour to create a custom card to trade.

6. Be clear about what you are offering. If your work is an altered photo, digital work, rubber-stamped, or a print, you must present it fairly. Many artists do not trade for prints, and others may not trade for altered photos, photography, or digital work.

7. NO SUBSTITUTIONS! If you have agreed to trade a sunset over the Pacific card, then trade that card, not a similar card in your stash or a copy of that card. While it may be a fair trade in your estimation, your partner may feel cheated and justifiably so.

8. When you receive your card, it is a courtesy to leave iTrader to rate the trade. Trades are rated not on the art but on things like quickness, friendliness, packaging, etc. See the FAQ for info on how to use iTrader.

You'll find that cards pile up quickly. Store your cards in a sturdy box or get trading card pages (sometimes called 9-pocket pages) which fit into 3 ring binders for easy viewing -- and showing off to your friends.

Have fun trading! Remember to check sticky notes at the top of each forum for additional info to help you enjoy being part of our trading community.

(ATC 101 and 102 can be found in the Welcome Forum)
    Last edited by Jean; 10-30-2009 at 01:14 PM.
    One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised - Chinua Achebe
    Etsy Watercolor PIF thread My Website

2. Thanks Blueangel thanked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well written as usual...and will be very helpful to all.
    FLORIDA MEMBERS...SIGN IN PLEASE
    www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16337

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now we just have to make sure everyone reads this great tutorial!
    Thanks HHC for co-hosting VALENTINE-A-TART 2012

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was mentioned to me that I have to submit an atc to be approved for trading. How do I go abouts doing that?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, I think there's a misunderstanding there. You can set up a trade with someone any way you like. Some people are open to "blind trades", where you don't see the other's card before trading. Some people might wish to see. It is entirely up to the traders themselves.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    AAAhhhh ok. TY

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello
    I was wondering - I see Galleries for ATCs to Trade and ATCs to Swap. Would you mind letting me know what the difference is between trade and swap?
    thanks
    Ruby

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Opaltones View Post
    Hello
    I was wondering - I see Galleries for ATCs to Trade and ATCs to Swap. Would you mind letting me know what the difference is between trade and swap?
    thanks
    Ruby
    Trades are set up between two people. Can be 1 ATC for 1 ATC, 2:2, 3:3, etc. Whatever is decided between the two people, i.e. traders.

Swaps are done in groups of people. Hosted by one person to whom the participants mail their cards. The host then does the trading part--swapping the cards sent in and mailing them out to different people.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since this appears to be the appropriate thread to ask this question...
    How does one initiate a trade? Do you look through the gallery of cards available for trade, spot one you like and then contact the artist with the request for that specific card, offering them a specific card in return? Or is it more along the lines of "I'd like to have Card A, is there something in my gallery you would like in exchange?"
    Denise
    It's OK to be remembered, just not to be reminded.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Partially right...you can select a card and request it. Then if you have a card they want, they will let you know. Please don't be offended if you're ever turned down with a polite refusal. Sometimes you may not have a card in the style or subject they like.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely would not be offended. Heck I'm thrilled to know someone actually looked in the first place! Obviously the larger the gallery the greater the opportunity. Dang, I gotta get busy!
    Thanks - Denise
    Denise
    It's OK to be remembered, just not to be reminded.

Jean is offline Artist in the Lucy Ricardo tradition
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can also offer to create a card similar to those in your traded gallery, if you are willing to make a special card for your trader...
    One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised - Chinua Achebe
    Etsy Watercolor PIF thread My Website

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    this was very helpful to me, thank you!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    It has been a month since someone requested a trade and I haven't received mine in return. I was told she had been under the weather, but her itrader shows that she has been pretty busy. I'm hesitant to leave a negative itrader review but, if I do, can I retract it or reverse it if she finally comes through? How long should one wait before leaving a negative itrader rating? I don't want to jump the gun. It probably wouldn't be so bad had it not been an ATC I was torn about putting up for trade anyway! Is it appropriate to simply say 'let's forget it and just send my ATC back? Thanks!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi salome000,
    The best first step would be to contact the trader to see if she has sent the trade yet. If she did and it has been lost in the mail, you can ask for a replacement card. If she has not sent it yet, politely remind her that cards must be sent out within 30 days, as per AFA site FAQs (http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/faq....rading_faq_one)
    If she still does not follow through, I think a negative iTrader would be appropriate. If she eventually follows through after getting the negative, it can be changed to a neutral by the mods, which won't affect her overall iTrader percentage.

Kynara is offline Heavily caffinated for the safety of others
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    what smallgirl says

also, If you contact her and she has not sent it back you could ask for your card back instead if you want. If you did, the trade would be cancelled and you wouldn't leave an iTrader.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    How does iTrader work in a MMH thread? Should you give iTrader+ to the person who sent you a card, and then the next person gives it to you? Do you mark "trader" for everyone?

Kynara is offline Heavily caffinated for the safety of others
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    you only send an itrader to the person who sent you a card and you mark it as "trader"

the person who you send a card to will leave you an itrader.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wish I'd've seen this when I was really new, I had a bit of confusion over how to actually ask someone to trade, I didn't realise it was through private messages, until someone asked me to trade
    The 'earth' without 'art' is just 'eh'.