Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: #8 the ferocious gigglers moley exchange!

katilady is offline Suspended User Suspended Member
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

#8 the ferocious gigglers moley exchange!

First mail-by date: September 1, 2010
    Subsequent mail-by dates: October 1, 2010, November 1, 2010, December 1, 2010,*,February 1, 2011,March 1, 2011, April 1, 2011, May1,2011,June 1, 2011,July 1 ,2011 Mark your calendar NOW!
    Due back in hand: August 2011
    *Please note the December/January extended mailing time
    # of Participants: 10
    Withdraw by: WITHDRAWALS NOT ALLOWED after August 1, 2010
    Materials required: One blank Moleskine JAPANESE pocket album. Size is roughly 3.5" x 5.5". Find on Amazon here. http://www.amazon.com/Moleskine-Japa...974&sr=8-1Find at MoleskineUS here. http://www.moleskineus.com/japanesebook.html

You're responsible for:

•Choosing and explaining your theme.
    •Creating a four (4) page spread (3+ pages in some cases) in each journal you receive.
    •Shipping to the next artist participant.
    •Paying for First Class mail and MANDATORY tracking/Delivery Confirmation.
    •Theme: Artist's choice. You may choose "No theme" if you want participants to "follow their muse."

PARTICIPANTS & THEMES

1. AnnD- non sensical nudes
    2. AmyFaerie dark art with found poetry
    3. BigKay- reject mania
    4. CatPratt my secret garden
    5. Cindyjob dark fairy stories
    6. Grrrdjules circus!
    7. Katilady outsider art dreamscapes
    8. themuppet Mistress Mayhem's Orbacular Tentacular Spectacular...with Zombies!
    9. Siena Whimsy-Funky: In Search of Adventure
    10. Skyjules vintage halloween OR mystical magical halloween

TRAVEL PLANS

Please note that the order of mailing will differ for each journal. Yes, this is absolutely more confusing than mailing to the same artist after each round of creating. The reasons behind jostling the order of mailing are (1) To keep the swap lively and challenging, by changing the person you're "working toward" in each round; and (2) To balance shipping costs across all participants, so no one player ships ONLY internationally to the next player in each round

RED = ACTIVE. Actively working on pages.
    GREEN = TRAVELING. Journal en route to next player.
    TURQUOISE = Completed.

AnnD - Amyfaerie- BigKay - CatPratt- CIndyjob - GrrrdJules- Katilady- Siena- Skyjules - themuppet

GrrrdJules - CIndyjob - themuppet - Big Kay -Amyfaerie- AnnD- CatPratt-KatiLady- Siena- Skyjules

CIndyJob - GrrrdJules-AnnD- Katilady- Siena - themuppet - Skyjules - Big Kay - Amyfaerie -CatPratt

Amyfaerie - Siena- Skyjules - themuppet - Big Kay - CatPratt- grrrdJules - Cindyjob- AnnD- KatiLady

Skyjules- Big Kay - KatiLady- Siena- CatPratt- Amyfaerie- themuppet -AnnD- Grrrdjules - Cindyjob

Siena- KatiLady- Cindyjob- Grrrdjules - themuppet- Skyjules- AnnD- Amyfaerie- CatPratt-Big Kay

themuppet- AnnD - CatPratt - Amyfaerie- Skyjules- Big Kay- CindyJob - GrrrdJules- KatiLady - Siena

CatPratt- themuppet- GrrrdJules - CindyJob- KatiLady - Siena - Amyfaerie - Skyjules - Big Kay - AnnD

BigKay - CatPratt - Amyfaerie - Skyjules - AnnD - KatiLady - Siena - themuppet - CindyJob - GrrrdJules

KatiLady - Skyjules - Siena - AnnD -GrrrdJules - CindyJob - Big Kay - CatPratt - themuppet - Amyfaerie

REQUIREMENTS
    Because this swap requires a huge, very long-term commitment of time and resources, and because it is absolute heartbreak when a journal goes missing (unfortunately, it happens), there are special requirements for participation in a swap of this type.

You must:

•Be an actively trading AFA member (defined as: positive iTrader across 2 swaps in the last 3 months)
    •Have 3+ months in good standing (no neutrals or negative iTraders)
    •Have an iTrader rating of 25+
    •Be willing and able to do your very best work on a strict, inflexible time line, over a long period
    •Be willing and able to complete three (3) 3x5 journal pages in the themes chosen by your fellow participants
    •Have the cash resources necessary to ship eight journals around the world using First Class mail with mandatory tracking

NEED TO KNOW

When finished, each journal will be full!
    All page elements must be flat (or mostly flat.) Nothing hanging off the edges either, please.
    A Round Robin of this type is time consuming and not inexpensive, and requires your very best work. So please be absolutely certain you have both the resource of time, and the resource of cash, to participate through August 2011, before signing up.
    Once you've committed, withdrawals are not allowed after August 1, 2010

HOW TO JOIN
    •Please indicate your chosen theme. Please post at length about your theme when you sign up. Discuss color palettes and subject matter. Include photos or links if you'd like to direct participants with even more specificity. I'll create a link to your theme description in the Participant list, for easy future reference.
    •Please send me your address and telephone numbers ( even if you think I may already have it)I'll be creating a mailing list of swap participants which I'll distribute via PM. I will also keep it on file for when you lose it

waiting list
    themuppet
    kiddio
    goodmorningstarshine
    marla412
    Last edited by katilady; 03-07-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    ARTIST INSTRUCTIONS
    •Purchase a blank Moleskine JAPANESE pocket album. Size is roughly 3.5" x 5.5". Find on Amazon here.
    http://www.amazon.com/Moleskine-Japa...974&sr=8-1Find at MoleskineUS here. http://www.moleskineus.com/japanesebook.html
    •Decorate the covers, if you choose. This may be completed either before or after the journal travels through the rotation. Some prefer to decorate before, to establish theme, palette, and mood. Some prefer to decorate after, to prevent damage to cover art. You decide!
    •Please include: (1) Your real name and address; (2) your username; (3) your assigned "travel-plan" (see below); (4) a sign-in area for artists; and (5) any special instructions; in the opening pages of your book -- which you should also decorate. These first pages are a great place to establish tone, mood, theme, and/or color scheme for your journal. If you want players to decorate their three pages consecutively, be sure to specify that. If you prefer they break their three pages up across the accordion pages of your Moleskine, let them know that, too. You get to set the guidelines for your own journal. So use your first pages to do just that!
    •In addition to decorating your opening, informational pages, please create at least one, 2-page spread in your own Moleskine journal. Yet another opportunity to establish theme.
    •Be sure to "fix" your art well, to prevent smudging. Allow plenty of time for drying before shipping. Waxed paper between pages is a great idea.
    •Please communicate regularly via email, PM, or preferably, in this thread, whenever you have (1) received or (2) shipped a book. Include tracking numbers. We're all investing a huge amount of time, talent, and care in this project, and we want to see everyone's Moleskine journal home safely.
    •Most important: Be creative, do your very best work, stretch yourself, and have a blast!

SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS
    From the date a journal is received, each artist will have about three weeks before the journal is due in the hands of the next artist on the "travel plan." The mail-by date, every month, is the 1st. Please watch your timeframe carefully and think in terms of "mail by" dates in your planning; I'm going to be a stickler on timing. (If the 1st is a weekend or holiday, the next business day will be fine.)
    Please be extra considerate when mailing to international participants; it will take longer for them to receive the journal you sent, cutting into their creating time. If you can ship sooner than the 1st and the artist is ready to receive from you, or if you can expedite delivery by using Priority or Express mail options, please do so, as a courtesy.
    If, on the 1st of the month, the person you are about to mail to is behind schedule and still has an unfinished journal in hand -- naughty, naughty! -- skip that person, and send your in-hand Moleskine to the next person in your "travel plan" instead, so no backlog with any one participant is created. Then, PM the swap host to determine next steps.
    When the "travel plan" for each journal is complete, the journal will return to its original owner. I'd like to wrap this swap up on time, by late August, 2011.
    Please do not use Media Mail instead of First Class mail. It typically takes longer in transit, and might mess up our timeline. First Class mail is mandatory. Delivery Confirmation/tracking is mandatory. Priority (expedited) Mail is recommended, but optional.
    Remember to pack your journal carefully (use a box or bubble mailer,) but also, to keep your parcel as small and light as possible, to minimize shipping charges. Please reuse/recycle packaging whenever possible. This means opening those boxes and envelopes carefully. Thanks!
    For US residents, an FYI: The USPS Priority Mail "Small Flat Rate Box" ships for $4.95 to anywhere in the US, at any weight up to 70 lbs., and is plenty large enough to accommodate our Japanese Moleskine journal. Bonus: These boxes are FREE at any Postal Service location. And Priority Mail shipping takes just 2-3 days, domestically.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......
    JUST FOR FUN
    Here, some examples of what Japanese Moleskine journals look like with art inside. Fantastic!

http://moleskinex12.blogspot.com/
    http://moleskinex46.blogspot.com/
    http://moleskinex70.blogspot.com/
    http://moleskinex61.blogspot.com/
    http://lilymuse-collage.com/gorgeous...rcoal-art.html
    http://armandfrasco.typepad.com/.a/6...a51c970b-800wi

here we are gang! i am excited to see everyone's themes! there may be a slight change to the schedule, but everything else is good to go!
    Last edited by katilady; 07-11-2010 at 06:29 PM.

AnnD is offline "A puddin'-filled noodle of love" - EQ
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wahoo!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    :sits in the corner watching the cool kids play:

no, really, I will definitely be lurking this group!
    "Everything is better with diamond glaze, it's like bacon that way." grrrdjules

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hoorah! Wow, I don't know how you guys figure out that whole shipping table - amazing!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    cindyjob did it!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which is no doubt why there will be glitches but if everyone gets everyone else's eventually it'll all be good, right ?
    I'm so glad we are doing this...who has a theme yet? It is so HARD to decide!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    BUMMER! I'm too late! I've wanted to join a Moley group for awhile and this is a fun group!!
    ~* “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” *~Picasso

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow. lots of information. thank you for organizing this project. I am working on ideas for my theme and have ordered my moleskin. so we are to decorate the cover of our own moleskin, then
    -how many pages total do we do in the start of the book..inside cover, and then how many pages?
    -do you typically gesso the pages?
    thank you!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    ferocious gigglers?
    I use Google a lot and thought just for fun to see if maybe I didn't know what ferocious gigglers might refer to...I did a google search. Know what I found? Katiladys blog!
    (still don't know what it is though)

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    cindyjob said she didn't care what we called the group and i told her if she let me pick i would choose something silly. she said go ahead, and now we're the ferocious gigglers. i like to think of it as a term for people who live passionately!

catpratt, let me double check the number of pages but i think we do the opening pages (2) and then the three following that are the actual accordian spread. i'll let you know for sure!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    UH...
    'member how i said I was sure there would be issues....in the rotation that Amyfaerie starts I put Skyjules twice and no GrrdJules . DUH. I cannot edit it . Sorry Kati that you have to keep cleaning my my mistakes.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    done! and no worries, this is a team effort!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm mildly confused but I'll figure it out! Now how to choose a theme, hmmmmmm. I'm thinking circus.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    ooooohhhh. circus is a fun one !!!

It is HARD to pick though isn't it???

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for putting up the thread! This will be my first moelskine group ever and I'm wacko excited about it.

I need to think over my theme for a day or two though. I'm having a hard time coming up with one that's not filthy.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    i heart you katie!

i want a theme that is fun, as my other moleys have been kinda 'deep'. this time something lighthearted. i think.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    so my theme will be: outsider art dreamscapes.

see wikipedias definition of outsider art.

i am going to borrow eraserqueens description of dreamscapes: "Dreamscapes have emotive color, elements of surrealism and a sense of space. Look for altered images of people, a suggestion of a horizon, buildings or suggestions of architecture, mist and maybe creatures that live there."

here are some examples:

(dragonfly on iatc's)

(dadreemer)

(me)

(dragonfly on iatc's)

(ashazart)

(surrealism on iatc's)

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool theme Kati. That will be a fun one to do and be good for mixed media or hand drawn!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    question . . . these little moleys come with 60 accordion pages, but that's really only 30, 'cause we're only using the fronts, right? then if 9 people are putting art into the moley, we should be doing 3 page spreads in each moley . . . 3 x 9 = 27. that leaves two pages for the owner of the moley to begin with.

i'm just sayin', as i don't want people running outta room in their moleys!
    I updated my available ATCs on January 9th . . . if I'm slow to respond, it's nothing personal. I'm always willing to trade!