View Poll Results: Should we move a little faster?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay with once a month mailing on the first Monday of each month.

3 100.00%
  • Shorten our time to having the books for only two weeks.

0 0%
  • Other: any different suggestions? Submit ideas in the Thread and title as Poll suggestion.

0 0%
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: #11 ...Moley 2011

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our first mail date is coming up! Even though I have lots to do on my moley I'm still very EXCITED!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, I just realized that too! I haven't even a clue what to do for mine. Guess that's my own fault for being so open-ended with mine. Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to be stupid, but if I don't ask, I'll just stay that way...this is my first time using the accordian-fold Japanese moleskine, and I'm having trouble working on it without bending pages, or having to keep turning it around...maybe it's just me, but I don't know why everyone likes these things! I have to keep putting something under it to keep it level, ect.
    What am I doing wrong?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're not being stupid Terry, I have the same problem. In fact, I was even thinking of detaching the whole folding part so it would be easier to decorate, but thought that might make the pages get separated and lost.

It does take manuvering to get the thing folded out enough so that you can work it, plus you also have to be careful not to get smudges/paints/glues on the pages after yours.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had lots of problems too (including a tiny tear on one of the pages that the next person in my rotation gets). I also found that working around the creases in the accordian folded paper presented problems. I think/hope it's just a matter of getting used to the format.

I did my own pages right in the journal, but I am thinking about doing my layouts for other journals on an accordian-folded sheet of 14"X5 1/2" watercolor paper, which I will then just paste into the journal over my assigned pages. Partially this is because I use inktense pencils and watercolor pencils a lot, and am not sure how well the moley paper will hold up. Is that ok?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey you guys this is my first one too. I imagine we will all learn through the whole process. For my first two intro pages i actually drew and painted on newsprint and pasted in. I had done my 3 pages and colored with copic markers and they bleed through a lot and there was no way I could create anything on that one page.

From reading other post, I think a lot of people have done the work and pasted in. Any of you that have done one before we need your insight through our process.....

After doing the 3 sheet spread I found I didn't like it so I will redo those pages....and use the other one for something else.....this one has to work I only had two.....

Something I did forget and am improvising somewhat, I forgot to allow for a sign in page for my artist......so I will make little individual cards for you to sign and attach when my book gets home. I saw that on one of the other swaps.

George emailed me the other day and said he will be out of the country and his mail date will be around the 6th of Jan so Joe don't panic....if you get concerned you might send him a note so he can contact you when to look for it. If at anytime anyone is going to be late, please let your next in line to know.....

annette
    It isn't if you win or lose, it's how you played the game......YEAH RIGHT!!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't used gesso or pasted any pages of the books I've worked on before, I used mostly prisma markers and they do show on the opposite side of the page but no one sees or uses that side so it doesn't matter. And if corners bend a bit or art material gets on the next blank page I've just worked over it. I think all those little dings and things add to the finished book - it shows the book has been around!

I don't plan on pasting any pages in, but I think this kind of thing is pretty much whatever you want to do. Sometimes books can take a long time in the mail, and you can save time by creating your pages on different paper then pasting them in when the journal finally arrives.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the feedback, moley friends! I feel better [less stupid] now...and that's a good thing. I work mostly in watercolor, and I would really be happy to work on my arches paper,and then paste it in the journal if no one has a problem with that. I am still trying to maneuver the folded pages, but it is making me nuts! I'm glad I'm working on my book and not someone else's...I am going to check the forums for more specific help...does the travel page go in the back on the pocket or up front?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here some of the first pages...travel order and theme page...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great pages terry! I'm sure I've done mine wrong, my travel plan is on the second page.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    No worries! My travel page IS the second page...I have no idea if this is right or wrong, but I suspect we should quit worrying about the right/wrong thing or we are going to lose the fun of the project...hey, we can always get it "right" on the next exchange!
    I am almost finished with my pages [I truly hope that is supposed to be the next 3 pages]...let me know about that because I am now at the point that I could go to the 4th page if needed...oh yes...Merry Day After Christmas to all fellow Moley People!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Merry Christmas everyone! I agree with Terry. We should stop worrying about the rights and wrongs and just create! I still haven't even started mine, but I'll probably mail on next Mon or Tues
    Last edited by Genxster; 12-27-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Bob Florence is offline Green aliens rule...orange elves drool!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. One nice thing about my job is my boss is never there, he trusts me to get my work done the way I do it.
    Same here, cut paste, markers, paint...doesn't matter to me. You guys are great artists do what you do best. That's one reason I joined.
    I agree with you guys, there shouldn't be a right or a wrong. Some of the stuff I did that I screwed up on everyone seems to like. It is like accidentally experimenting.
    I am just starting mine today as well.
    Have a safe New Year guys! I love all of the pages I have seen so far.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a great group - I will hopefully get mine done tonight or tomorrow. Not what I intented to do, but then that is par for the course, it never ends up the way I start anything out....worry is part of it....stress is what we don't want...LOL
    I know these books will be awesome, no other way they could turn out. and Yes the first two and the next 3 fold out we do. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I doubt I get mine out one the first since it falls on a Sat, postoffice closes to early for me, I don't get around until after lunch. So it will go out Monday the 3rd. I think I already said that George's will go out around the 6th, lucky guy is out of the country......must be nice.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL.

Bob Florence is offline Green aliens rule...orange elves drool!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am thru. I posted the pages in my gallery. I am not sure how to get them here.
    Did I miss out on the addresses or how do I get gkovats?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    wowza Bob! What a fun start to your book!

I don't have the addresses either, could you please resend that PM DADAology?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey gang,

George here. I will mail my thing before I disappear beyond the blue yonder so there is no need to panic, as Annette said. Time to panic will be in May. We will be out there with my better half fighting mediocrity in Europe, visiting our mothers in Prague, drinking the real Budweiser from Budweis, and taking a Greek cruise (hopefully). All of this will take more than a month, almost two if we go with my wife's schedule. I will also be away for couple (2 or 3) of weeks in July and/or maybe the beginning of August depending on when my son's new baby decides to come and see the world. So that will be the other time to panic. I will not scare you guys by telling you that I will also be away for a week in February because that may not happen. Other than that we are good!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    George, if the suitcase to Europe feels heavy, never mind it...that's just me stowing away!

Fabulous pages so far, peeps. I have been working on mine, painfully aware of how FAST these monthly deadlines will be creeping up on us!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    And now the serious stuff. We have a mystery on our hands. Since I did not get a satisfactory answer to my earlier private query, I'm going public: There ain't enough pages for 8 people to do 4 pages each!!! Panic now! Either I'm totally out of it, which may be possible, or the last person will only have 2 pages. Tell me where I went wrong: There are 30 pages in the notebook. This is an incontrovertible fact as evidenced by the description of the notebook wrapper and in sales materials and confirmed by my personal count of the pages. Since I'm an engineer by profession I believe I'm qualified to count to 30 and also do simple addition, subtraction, and multiplication. Here is the simple multiplication: 7 participants other than yourself times 4 pages each equals 28. Are you with me? So far so good. Next: 30 pages minus 28 equals 2 pages left for the owner of the notepad (or is it a sketchbook?). We are supposed to put our name and travel plan on page 1 and create on 3 pages. Therefore 1 + 3 = 4!! But only 2 pages are available. OK, people who can solve this mystery? I know I screwed up somewhere but I'll be if I know where.

Could be that we are supposed to use the first leaf where is says "If lost this is the reward........." in addition to the 30 pages.

Any thoughts on this out there? Do I have to scrape that egg off my face?

I've done my thing so it's too late for thoughts contrary to mine.....just wanna let you know.

George

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, I feel naked having defined my theme with 2 words while everyone else wrote a dissertation work on their themes. So here is more details so nobody can complain about my theme.

Nostalgia to me means anything older than 50 years. It can be anything at all older than 50 years.

Steampunk to me means Victorian science-fiction such as that authored by Jules Verne. In my mind I also include turn of the century stuff such as the first cars, airplanes etc. up to WW I.

Bleed or overlay or whatchumacallit is OK and is encouraged.

Any fine art technique and media are acceptable including collage and limited stamping.

That's it folks.