Layering with Beeswax and Napkins Swap:due Feb. 4th

NancyL

plays with color and texture
Friend of AFA
Media
Layering with Beeswax and Napkins Swap:due Febr 4th
Number of cards- 3 or 6
Number of players-unlimited BUT must sign up by Jan 2nd
I used beeswax and napkins to alter playing cards in theweavershand's swap and decided I wanted to do a swap with this one technique.

Directions: * Read ALL of this post.
* Layer beeswax and napkins on the number-suit side of a standard
playing card (of your country).
* Leave at least one corner number & suit visible.
* May also layer colored tissue and/or thin papers.
* Place artist info on back of card.
* Cards must arrive in sleeves.

Mailing: US players-send an SASE with at least 44 cents postage.
International players-send a self-addressed envelope. If you can send me
$1,great. If not, don't worry.

Not required but treasured is an extra card.

Who is ready to melt their wax and cover a card?

1. theweavershand
2. alanabannana
3. bluesybreeze
5. Pauline
7. Laura D
8. me
9. Wil Opio Oguta
10. catzquiltz
11. Elena
12. jaw
14. bitsysal49
15. Donnacr
16. Pikkis
17. HHC
18. Sharazoid
19. minnkel
20. lafaver55
21. JeanetteBlac
22. Marla412
23. catscradle
24. Marnie
25. notinKansas
26. addicted2shoppn
27. PAMI
28. mrubyjean
29. goatgirl

SIGN-UPS ARE CLOSED!

Last edited:
If you lurking and curious on how to do this technique, a most informative thread can be found in the Art Discussions forum. Under the How to section look for Beeswax and Napkin Images Collage ATCs by mrubyjean. This is where/how I learned to do this technique.

lurking... I am gonna try one to see if I can work it out. I bought all the stuff to try it a couple of weeks ago but can't get up the courage to "take the plunge". I may be back to sign up....

Lurking although I know how to do this technique and would love to use some of my napkins up. I just need to finish up some other commitments before I sign up for another swap.

I thought I wouldn't post this until I got returns from Mix and Match. So, I'm involved in hosting 4 swaps as well as participating in several.
I did some of this kind for the Altered playing card swap and then got excited and made 3 for the November RAK and then I'm making a birthday card from beeswax and napkins for my daughter in law. There will be several cards strung together with ribbon for that.

Also I found that a mini iron, made by Clover and supposedly used for stain glass quilting, Celtic, applique work, doll making etc (as stated on package) has worked best for me. This one is tiny. I used a craft iron and the cord kept pulling out.

Also I found that a mini iron, made by Clover and supposedly used for stain glass quilting, Celtic, applique work, doll making etc (as stated on package) has worked best for me. This one is tiny. I used a craft iron and the cord kept pulling out.

I used the little craft iron and the cord kept pulling out too. I told the owner of the shop where I bought it. She told me a few carefully placed drops of 'Super Glue' would hold it in.

Since then, I've bought the little 'Clover' iron too, but haven't tried it yet.

Only observing for the moment...but very interested. Do you need to prep the playing card in any way first or will the beeswax adhere easily?

Beeswax needs to have a glossy surface so playing cards are perfect. No prep needed.

Adding you paula.

The small Clover iron is perfect for this technique and also for the melted crayon one (just in case you don't want to feel like you're just getting it for this swap or technique :yes:).

I have never heard of soy wax. But if that is more readily available and/or cheaper, sure, why not?

Almost all the art materials I buy in Hawaii cost more than anything I get on the Mainland. My wonderful Clover iron was $37! And because I made a mistake I had to get a second one.

I've always wanted to try this technique....so I'm going to lurk for a bit until I finish some other swaps. Will keep my eyes on this thread though.

Back
Top Bottom