Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: #13 Japanese Moleskine exchange - party time - 2011

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone! I needed that... I still have the 3 page spread to do... I know that I won't at this time have time to do my cover... Will do it and post when it makes it's way back to me. I am so tired.... Parent teacher conferences the last 2 weeks have taken it out of me... I will get the spread done this weekend... I am going to make it come hell or high water!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaZarf View Post
    that's pretty cool, sfa, is that painted on?
    yes, it is painted with acrylics and I also used gel pens to make it look like beads...

dewtee is offline Tipping on the tightrope . . .
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, here are my travel pages . . . Let me know what you think!

Last edited by dewtee; 02-25-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    I always leave rep points, please leave me rep points if you recieve a piece of my art . . . thanks!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    that is beautiful
    i love the look and it goes great with the cover
    i was going to ask the how, but i read in your gallery that it is inktense pencils
    they sure give a cool look
    Shirley ~ A View Askew
    My new swaps: Special Trash Challenge with a Twist
    http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/show...vember-22-2019
    I'm in the Mood for Moos - a Trash-Stash Swap http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/show...vember-22-2019

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you!!! I just got my order of Inktense pencils yesterday so did the poppy red section with those pencils. I used gamsol instead of water because I didn't want to mess the pages up. All the other pencil work is with Prismacolor colored pencils and gamsol.
    I always leave rep points, please leave me rep points if you recieve a piece of my art . . . thanks!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    i am going to have to get me some of that gamsol stuff. it gives a great look.
    Shirley ~ A View Askew
    I'm in the Mood for Moos - a Trash-Stash Swap http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/show...vember-22-2019

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    ditto what JavaZarf said!
    Goodbye 70lbs... 15 more to goal

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    My moley is all packaged up and ready to fly... if we weren't having yet another snow storm. I'll get it to the post office on Monday or Tuesday.
    Goodbye 70lbs... 15 more to goal

goatgoddess is offline every artist was first an amateur - ralph waldo emerson
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow beautiful work everyone!!!

I need to get busy and finish mine up this weekend. still not sure how to do my travel plan either got a loose idea but that is all it is at this point.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks JavaZarf and Corrie04 . . . You can get the gamsol at an art supply store. I got my Inktense pencils from Dick Blick, they have the best price I've seen for them. I got a 12 pack set then ordered other individuals colors that I liked. Make sure you pay attention to the lightfastness rating. You can get that information off of the Derwent website. I went this route as I knew I was going to have to do art on the back of the non-accordian page. The Prismacolor illustration markers and the colored pencils work well for this technique. I also order my colored pencils from Dick Blick. You can move the colored pencil around using the gamsol with a paper stump just like watercolor, but it will not soak through the back. With the Inktense, I was surprised that they worked the same when using the gamsol. When you use the Inktense with water, they turn into ink and when they dry, turn permanent. You can put more layers on top without the worry of bleeding or changing the colors.

Corrie04, you know when you get hit, more than likely I'm getting hit! I'm so sick of this snow . . . UGH!!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dewtee, Love the travel page! Very pretty! I haven't ever heard of gamsol! I think that I am going to need some! Ha! I have the Inktense pencils and I like the look of this so much on your travel page that I am going to have to try it out! Plus with the paper in the mollies not working so well with watercolors, this would be a good end run around it! Thanks for the info! Can't wait to see your 3 page spread! Yours is one that I already have ideas for too!

Just googled gamsol! DUH! Odorless mineral spirits.... already have some, just a different brand! Now I have to try out that technique!
    Last edited by 1 Art Lady; 02-25-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Addition because of a duh moment!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! LOL! I'm glad you have some, give it a try. I have several moleys . . . I have a sketch one that I do testing in that is the same paper as the accordian moley and use it to try out different techniques. I've tested just about every medium there is in it to see if it soaks through the back of the pages, etc . . .

That picture is poo poo . . . it looks better in person. You can lay down your Inktense or colored pencils with a good light layer, you don't have to be neat and you don't have to press hard, just fill in the color . . . then dip your paper stump (the hard one, not the tortillion) in the OMS and just start moving the color around. I have a thin stump and a thick stump dedicated to each color family. I ordered those really cheap from Dick Blick too, and they carry 4 or 5 different sized stumps. The OMS will soak clear to the back side but will dry up and you will not see anything on the back side of the paper. You can also continue to layer on top of what you have already worked with the OMS. If you overwork the pencil, that is okay, just color in a little more color in that area and smooth it out.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh! Awesome thanks for the tips! I was so excited about this technique that I told a High school student that I have sort of been coaching about this technique. I have not even tried it yet, but she is someone who also works with colored pencils, and I turned her on to the prismacolor blending pencils and she was thrilled. I told her about the gamsol this evening and she is going to experiment as am I! It is so cool to learn about new stuff! As I googled it, I ran across info that that this technique started with the stamping folks. I would have never thought about using mineral spirits with colored pencils... guess you have to think outside the box sometimes! So Thank You!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL! You are quite welcome! Those blending pencils ROCK! Many years ago, I started out doing beadwork, then rubberstamping and mixed media work, then scrapbooking . . . so I have been using this technique for a long time! I'm glad you were able to pass on the information to another artist. Let me know how your experiments go. If you get a practice Moleskine, make sure you get one with the heavy paper. I have a medium sized sketchbook 5x8 1/4 inches that I do my doodling and practice stuff in. Don't get the cahiers or other thin paper journals . . .

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    i am so glad you shared your technique and the products
    i hope to learn a lot from this moley just by looking at what other people can do
    Shirley ~ A View Askew

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    No problem, love to share ideas with others!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaZarf View Post
    i am so glad you shared your technique and the products
    i hope to learn a lot from this moley just by looking at what other people can do
    agreed. Having someone else's art in your hands to look at is a fantastic tool!
    "Everything is better with diamond glaze, it's like bacon that way." grrrdjules

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    My travel page

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    your book is going to be fantastic
    great travel page
    Shirley ~ A View Askew

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Shirley... I'm working on my spread... last minute.... I loving working under pressure! LOL!