Addicted to ATCs
Media
Magical Herbs and Mystical Plants - Due July 4, 2011
Swap Due Date: July 4
Signup/Withdraw Date: July 4
Number of Cards: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited

RETURNS HAVE BEEN MAILED OUT

Older people have heard of the Mandrake Plant and Ginsing Root.
The younger generation is familiar with the Whomping Willow.
Some people know about the odd, Fanged Geranium; or the carnivorous Venus Flytrap, or the Pitcher Plant, that drowns its victims.

With the advent of the Harry Potter phenomenon, more people are familiar with magical, mystical, plants.
Are you one of the knowledgeable, or merely curious?

This swap is about Mandrakes that SCREAM when transplanted, and Mimbulus mimbletonia that shoot out stink sap.
This swap is about belladonna, bubotubers and bubotuber pus.

This includes plants known in the Harry Potter wizarding world, or plants discovered growing in the Mists of Avalon.
This includes plants from books, such as Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea series, or the books of Earth Children, a series that starts with the Clan of the Cave Bear and whose most recent edition, Land of Painted Caves, was just published last month. This includes plants described in games such as Dragons & Dungeons, and movies such as Avatar, which has strong references to, and descriptions of, magical plants and their uses.

This includes wild herbs and foraged food, plus recipes, if you are so inclined.
This includes magical and mystical plants, real or imagined.
This includes the magical thoughts and mystical imaginations of Nancy Drew, and you!

One potential participant says she remembers growing Tansy and making tansy tea in high school for her uncle because her colonial herb book said it would be good for what was ailing him at the time. It also was supposed to make you see fairies. She said they had a good laugh over that one for years, and this strikes me as a potential FUN card.

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive 3 or 6 cards back.

* All mediums, styles, and interpretations are welcome. All I ask is that you send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

*Please make sure to package your cards securely and confirm there is enough postage on the envelope.
If you are new to swapping or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping here is a great link.

http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches,
plus 44 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards,
OR 64 cents postage or two "Forever" stamps if trading 6 cards, or if your cards are extra heavy.
Please put the Swap name and your Username on your mailing envelope, return envelope, and on all cards.
And please write clearly on everything!

* International participants, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed BUSINESS SIZE envelope 4 by 9 1/2, or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address. Please put your username and Swap Name on your mailing envelope, return envelope if sent, and on all cards. And please write clearly on everything!

* Cards are due to me by July 4, 2011. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. itrader ratings will be given when I receive your cards. Returns will be mailed promptly. Late cards will be returned as it is unfair to those participants who always have their cards in early or on time.

* Remember: We all want to be able to know who to give rep points back to. So, do not forget to put your username, swap name, and title on the back of each card! Please leave URock points for the artists you received cards from when you receive your swapped cards.

* An extra ATC in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thanks for considering this swap! I’ll PM you with my address when you sign up!

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Let’s make some cards!
Here are a few links to help you get started:

Magical and Mundane Plants - Harry Potter Lexicon
http://www.hp-lexicon.org/magic/herbology.html

Nancy Drew - Bubotuber
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6691979/1/Nancy_Drew_And_The_Case_Of_The_Bubotuber_Pus

Magical Plants - Lists and Description
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictional_plants

Magical Plant Images
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...3F7BAE35CC95C14C31615D6DD&first=1&FORM=IDFRIR

Mandrake
http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/mandrake.aspx

Stinging Nettle Pudding and other Plant Recipe Oddities
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-481709/Traditional-English-cooking-nettle-pudding-ancient-recipes.html#

Magical Herbs and Mystical Plants - Due July 4, 2011
Current Participants:

*1. Gerry - it - Cards Received 5/09 *UNITED KINGDOM
*2. JenCreates - it - Cards Received 6/23
*3. Maineatc - it - Cards Received 6/06
*4. papersaga - it - Cards Received 5/07
*5. Blanche - it - Cards Received 7/01
*/. Catey - WITHDREW
*6. Tambilina - it - Cards Received 6/30
*/. nanette653 - WITHDREW
7. oddbreed - it - Cards Received 5/26
*8. bastcrystal - a
9. Mopheads - it - Cards Received 5/23
*10. Nightvamp - it - Cards Received 5/21 * THE NETHERLANDS
*//. Phoenix - WITHDREW
*11. HiddenTreasure2010 - it - Cards Received 6/14
*//. MelanieS - WITHDREW
*//. LeonardaDaArtsi - WITHDREW
*//. Baitu - WITHDREW *TAIWAN
12. Artemischo - aa - Cards Received 6/23
*13. Vicki Z - Cards Received 6/13
*14. nadiabekker - it - Cards Received 6/25 * THE NETHERLANDS

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
Its really hot here in the UK, too hot to go outside...but I am not complaining, had enough of the cold so welcome this nice weather.

Here are 2 of the cards. I used belladonna and rattlesnake root, which is from the Earth's Childrens books Clan of the Cave Bear.
Their description/use is listed on the back of the card.

I remember growing Tansy and making tansy tea in high school for my uncle because my colonial herb book said it would be good for what was ailing him at the time. It also was suppose to make you see fairies. We had a good laugh over that one for years. Will lurk on this and see what comes to me

Here are 2 of the cards. I used belladonna and rattlesnake root, which is from the Earth's Childrens books Clan of the Cave Bear.
Their description/use is listed on the back of the card.

I love Clan of the Cave Bear.
I didn't think of that one - I will have to add that to the intro.
GREAT choice! And thanks!

Last edited:
I remember growing Tansy and making tansy tea in high school for my uncle because my colonial herb book said it would be good for what was ailing him at the time. It also was suppose to make you see fairies. We had a good laugh over that one for years. Will lurk on this and see what comes to me

I made Tansy wine in high school, but it tasted like swill, so I drank more, thinking it was good for me. You know, all things good for one taste bad (wisdom straight from my mother's lips). OMG, but was I SICK, and I think the fairies (things) I saw were from being on the pills the doctor gave me.

I really think you NEED to sign up.

A warm welcome to Newbie Blanche, both to my swap and to this site.
I have signed you up to participate with this crazy bunch.
We are also very friendly and helpful, so if you have any questions, please ask.

love your cards jencreates especially the rattlesnake root. I cant wait to see all the interesting plants everyone comes up with, what a fun swap this is going to be.

Welcome Tambilina.
I have signed you up.
Be careful what you ask for!
I host a lot of swaps. :0)

Back
Top Bottom