Colour adds life.
Media
Due Date ~ August 15th, 2011
Sign-up Date ~ August 1st
Withdraw Date ~ Aust 5th
Number of Cards ~ 3:3
Number of Participants ~ 14
Medium ~ Hand drawn/Hand Painted only

This is a swap celebrating the animals you've never heard of - tenrecs, vontsira, fossa, coluga, etc (and that's just the mammals). No lions, tigers, giraffes or bears permitted!

Animals must be real species - but they can be (recently) extinct ones. And it's not just mammals - birds, reptiles, fish, frogs and invertebrates are all perfectly acceptable. No dinosaurs or domestic animals, please.

Each card must be different, but they can all feature the same or related animals.
Please write a little about the animal on the back - species, country it lives in and one interesting fact about it.

Now for the nitty gritty:
- Please sign up by posting on this thread. This allows me to better keep a track of who is doing what and also allows others to leave REP points later.
- I WILL NOT send you my address until you ask for it - this way I can monitor who has posted and who has not and don't get any surprises!
- I live in New Zealand. It can take anything up to two weeks - or longer, for mail to get to me (average is 7-10 days). Therefore, if your cards are not in the post by August 1st, they may not make it on time! I will wait a week for any cards in the mail prior to the 15th that have not yet arrived, but DO NOT post them on the 13th and expect them to make it in time. Any late arrivals will be returned, untraded.
- Please do your best work. Nothing rushed or messy and make sure all regular ATC guidelines are adhered to.
- Cards should be enclosed in a plastic sleeve. But if you can't get them, I do have spares.
- Please make sure your username and real name are on the back of your cards, and if you add them to your postal envelope, that makes things easier too.
- Please send a NEATLY PRINTED address label. No envelopes required - I just purchased a box of 500, so I'm set for a while. If I deem your handwriting is too messy, I'll copy it myself, but I'd prefer not to - I'd rather be drawing than writing out addresses!
- Loose stamps, $1 US or International Reply Coupons will be greatly appreciated. They are not necessary, but will help ease my burden of postage. The reason numbers are limited is because posting from NZ to anywhere else in the world is rather expensive.
- Hostess ATCs are greatly appreciated. Other bribes accepted too. Please no ephemera or craft scraps however, as I personally illustrate more than other crafts.

So, who are our zoologists?

1. LemurKat
2. Maineatc (received)
3. Shewolf (received)
4. Kavka (received)
5. Louisezee (received)
6. Jennie (received)
7. Art101 (posting 8/8)
8. Suntrade (received)
9. Sheala draws (received)
10. Noisy Brain (Received)
11. Larkawolf (postd)
12. Baybird (received)
13. MelanieS (postd 8/8)

Those in blue have had their returns arrive back at their destination,

PS: If you are unsure whether your animal is obscure enough, ask several random strangers or friends "what's an X?" And if 2/3 say "what?" then it's likely obscure enough for this swap. Basically, unless it's something that you see in pretty much every zoo in the world and that every 5 year old child can name, I'll likely let you away with it. If you're unsure, send me a PM.

Last edited:
Well, I've not heard of the first two. So that would be a "yes". Kudos for finding animals I had not previously known about (but am about to google).

edit: okay after googling, I did know them but under different names - bettong and chevrotain. Still quite obscsure! I love mouse-deer. Are they the ones with teeny fangs?

I think mine will be:
Vontsira (it's an aquatic mongoose)
Tenrec (the Malagasy hedgehog)
Long-tailed ground-roller (a bird that lives in burrows)
Vasa parrot (a parrot that looks almost prehistoric)

All from Madagascar. But I might make some more of the lemurs, by way of illustrating my novel.

Last edited:
I'm up for this one, I haven't drawn much of animals recently

(let's hope this gets more interest than the last swap of your I was in, lemurkat!)

Editz:
Here are some of the critters that I'm thinking about...
Four-horned Antelope
Baiji
Kutchicetus (Too long ago extinct? Died off around 40mya, which is long after the dinosaurs but still a loooong time ago. I really want to make one though!)
Falkland Islands Wolf
Short-eared Dog
Numbat
Lesser Billy

Last edited:
Ok I've come by 4 obscure and almost extinct hedgehogs. There are 5 branches in species of hedgehogs. 3 lines of species are growing in numbers 2 are not so I picked the 4 that are almost gone except for zoo reproduction. So I chose to do babies of the baby The Lesser Hedgehog Tenrec, Madagascar, Long eared hedgehog, from India, African pygmy hedgehog, and Desert hedgehog, Isreal. They all look similar but there is something in each that is undeniably a different species. Can you tell I love hegehogs?

I"m thinking of a tenrec too, then again, I"ve draw several of the "punk" tenrec, so maybe not for this swap.

All your animals are obscure - that prehistoric whale is pretty amazing.

Oh I'm so glad I can do my baby hedgehogs. They are so cut. The tenrac is fun because he is a totally different color. Did you know that most just have pricky keratin spikes but some have hollow spikes that shoot out a toxin. None of the hedgehogs I picked ar toxic. That's probably why they are almost extinct

MelanieS, I'll add you in! I majored in zoology and psychology. Which is why I'm such a zoologist geek ^^

Don't forget to include an interesting fact (or two) on the back of your card (or the front, if you prefer).

I started off as a major in biology but I moved away from it when I found out the program focus much more on micro than macro :c

Added you Suntrade.

Do a google search for "obscure animals" and you might be surprised at what you will find! I found the page with the woylie, kanchill and hoatzin, so I wonder if that's the one Shewolf drew inspiration from?
http://www.uglorable.com/2008/03/30/obscure-animal-alphabet-axolotl-to-zebu/

If you're after mammals, target the small carnivores (mongoose, civets and the racoon family all contain little known animals), marsupials and insectivores. Other animals, it's easier to find obscure ones.

Okay...I'm in! Sorry I missed the no domestic animals line (note to self: READ instructions...whaps self on head).

I've found some interesting critters to play with :)

deb

Back
Top Bottom