Handdrawn/painted: Original Species Swap, Due Dec 5th

I love the teeny tiny, she's so cute. I love her mode of transportation. I actually think she is sitting on an entire who colony

Received your lovely critters, Jennie. Very cute.

Tried to start mine yesterday, but not too happy with the results. All the other times I've hosted this I've been writing fantasy stories and already had the beasties created, just needed to illustrate them. This time I don't have any fantasy critters in mind. So, I might need to either a, think of ways to evolve one species (maybe rabbits) into other niches, or b, create chimeras.

Lemeurkat you aren't writing or illustrating anything right now? Your book looks interesting. Really must order that. I read constantly.

Oh, I'm writing Jennie, but my current novel is about a lemur-centered society living in an alternate-world Madagascar (called Madigaska). All the animals and birds are real. As is true of the published one - "Aroha's Grand Adventure" - although my other novel "Midsummer Knight's Quest" which I am currently editting, is filled with goblins, I've already drawn them so much already! (They were the focus of my last Original Species swap).

Maybe I'll just chose an animal I like and play the evolution game - like you did, Jennie with your hedgehogs and tenrecs (your descriptions are so cute and whimsical = love them!). Or maybe hybridise plants and animals. That's always fun.

Last edited:
Right, I'm going with mutant bunnies.

Essentially - in the far distant future the landscape has been largely decimated, and turned to dry savannah and pastureland. One of the only animals that survived this change was the rabbit. Because it is a fast, prolificate breeder, it evolved into a number of very different forms and beahviour.

Including predators.

And so far, they look almost like real animals. Although I might make an armour plated rabbit at some point.

Too Cool! I watched a cake show last night and the had to make something scary with a bunny. They were also to use a pumpkin in the finished project. It was a zombie rabbit chewing on the neck of the pumpkin face which was carved so incredibly. That rabbit looked like he was the king of the beasts

Right, here's my first 7 - I might continue on with the mutant bunnies or come up with something different for the remaining players - which reminds me - how many of you have almost got your cards finished?

The theme I went with in this picture, is what would happen if rabbits evolved to adapt to completely different habitats. What modifications would they require?

Predator Bunny
This vicious lapine has muscular shoulders and powerful jaws, making him capable of bring down large and heavy prey. His fur is patterned in an array of stripes and spots, allowing him camouflage against his savannah habitat.

River Bunny
Sleek and long, this water lapine has short legs with powerful webbed feet. His ears are greatly reduced in size, creating less resistance when he skims through the water. His tail has developed long and flat to provide a paddle. His eyes are positioned high on his head, allowing him to emerge only a short distance to see over the water.

Arboreal Bunny
This fuzzy little critter has longer and more flexible fingers than his terrestrial counterparts. His tail is also longer and fuzzier, providing him with balance as he scrambles through the tree tops. Probably his most interesting adaptation is the symbiotic relationship he has formed with a type of mistletoe. The sees of this plant bury themselves in his fur, and grow, providing him with camouflage.

Insectivore Bunny
Note the prehensile nose on this wee fellow. He uses it to sniff for ants and other insects, which he then unearths with his strong front paws. His fur has developed into spines, which protect him from Hunter Bunny below.

Browser Bunny
His toes have fused into something that is almost a hoof, making him even faster across the ground than his ancestors. His colouring provides him with some camouflage, breaking up his body so that it is harder for the Predator Bunny above to track him down and make him dinner. He also prefers to browse leaves, rather than graze.

Sea Bunny
This lapine has increased his body mass, the extra fat providing insulation against the chill bite of the water. His whiskers are highly developed, allowing him to navigate through deep water. His toes have fused together, forming efficient paddles when combined with his powerful hindlegs. As in the River Bunny above, his ears are greatly reduced in size to decrease resistance. He grazes on kelp and often lies on his back, exposing his pale belly to the sky.

Hunter Bunny
This fellow actually looks a bit like Furret, a Pokemon. He is long and sleek. His tail has developed into a fine plume which helps him balance as he pursues Arboreal Bunnies along tree branches. Although he also hunts Insectivore Bunnies in the long grass and his long, low form makes him an efficient hunter of ancestral bunnies as well. He is a generalist omnivore, and will eat fruit or even grass, but his preferred diet is meat.

Now - I need you fine folks to give me a hand - I'm not very original thinking of names! so to all my fellow players, if you name one of my bunnies, I will send it to you. The exception for this is the Insectivore Bunny which I made especially for Jennie - cos she was my first player to send in her cards and she likes hedgehogs.

Last edited:
Bunnies are brilliant! :D I love the descriptions you came up with. I'm really bad with names. I used wiki and latin names to help me with mine. :) Ok, the river rabbit could be Otterbun(n) cause when I look at his tail I think of an otter's tail. ;) I was thinking something foxy for the hunter bunny but nothing useful came up. Only Foxy bunny. i said I was bad at it. Sorry. :)

Awesome!! i came up with Phoralepus., ralep for short (pronounced ralph)^U^ its a combination of the scientific name for mistletoe (phoradendron flavescens) and the scientific name for the brown hare (Lepus Capensis )

Well LemurKat you know I think the insectivore Bunny is really better than, Well Ralph.
She has spines so she'd be in the species- Erinaceomorpha
She is a bunny so she would also be in the species- Lagomorpha
She has a snout like an ateaterso she'd be in the species- Pilosa
So I don't know what that would end up being- We'll name her Erin Lagopil-

I seriously thought at first that she might have Daschund dog in her because of the paws that dig, but alas, there was no resemblense

Back
Top Bottom