Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: APC's - Altered Playing Cards

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

APC's - Altered Playing Cards

APC's - Altered Playing/Poker Cards

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ

APC's are becoming very popular on the site, but it seems that some people are a little confused over what size an APC should be.

APC's should be the same size as an ATC (2.5 x 3.5) inches. For the correct size playing card you need to use poker cards. A lot of people are using bridge cards and this is an incorrect size, being 1/4 inch short on the width.

Any swap that a host starts for APC's should be of poker card size (2.5 x 3.5 inches)
    , unless otherwise stated in the thread. Remembering this will avoid your cards being returned unswapped. Hosts: please state clearly the size in your first post.

If trading 1 on 1 with a member you should be using poker cards (2.5 x 3.5 inches).
    If your APC's are of a different size, you must state the size in your gallery description and/or thread description. Also when you agree to trade with someone you should clearly state in your PM that your APC's are of a non standard ATC size. Remembering this will avoid traders being disappointed.

If using any of the other sized playing cards available you must also be clear in your description as to what size they are.

From AFA Staff

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I keep wondering about the backs of APCs. When using them as a deck of cards on display, I don't really like having the backs of the cards covered with artist information. I don't know how others feel about that and I'm never sure what to do......leave the back blank and include my info separately, or go ahead and put a piece of paper with my info on back> Any tips?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ask the person what they want you to do when trading. If someone is making one specifically for you, then you can ask that they leave the back blank and just insert a piece of paper with their details on into the trading card sleeve. Mostly I think people put their info on the backs.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use a return address label on the backs of mine. Then, if the recipient chooses, he or she can easily remove it from the back of the card. Personally, I don't mind the info on the back, nor do I mind receiving smaller cards in trade. For swaps, though, I post the ATC dimensions and the name of the card size (i.e. Poker).

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I make two-sided ATCs. I find that, if I want every available bit of the back seen, I use several techniques:

Print really small along the edges of the card or in the blank spaces. You be surprised at how little space your info takes up if you just include your real name, your username, the title, and the date you made it. Use small slivers of paper and write as small as you can, or print a font while still being legible to the naked eye.

Make moveable parts, like hinged doors, for the back of your card. Attach the hinge to the edge of your ATC. The trick here is that your card has to be thin enough to be able to include a door and a hinge and still be able to fit into a plastic sleeve. Write all your info on the back and front of the hinged door instead; since the door is attached to the back, it's still technically part of the card.

Who says you have to write in a straight line? It can still be legible if you write serpentine or write around the image on the back, in a staircase style. Just make sure the words connect from left to right like you want them to; if they're spaced out too much, it's hard to read.

Feel free to study my gallery for inspiration. I don't post the backs of every card. I also don't make APCs, but it's the same concept.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to get into this but I can not find a swap to do it?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are 2: postagestamps and location,location.
    I host now the swap:Chique LadyRED/PURPLE card-Other swaps I have host:Butterfly--CAR(s)--SILHOUETTE -WORD(S)Embossing powderCIRCLES. Washi-Tape.GESSO.SEW-Sewing. Technic-Faux Cloisonne Bandana-technic swap PIG-PIGGY.easter egg á la Fabergé.Aluminium-foil swap

trini70 is offline Wanted: cactus/desert cards
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's also a thread in the "trades" forum for APCs.
    current swaps: Mid-Feb. PAT, April PAT

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaineyDay View Post
    I keep wondering about the backs of APCs. When using them as a deck of cards on display, I don't really like having the backs of the cards covered with artist information. I don't know how others feel about that and I'm never sure what to do......leave the back blank and include my info separately, or go ahead and put a piece of paper with my info on back> Any tips?
    I've been trading for years now and I have yet to receive a card with a plain back. At a minimum the artist name address and usually email. This is in part to make sure people know who made what and will insure people won't be getting their own cards back. Some people have special backs they use and some people really go all out and decorate them. I guess if you want a plain back you need to specify that somehow or even better host your own swap?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rohan99, this thread is a sticky note to make members aware of the size that should be used for APCs.
    It is not for posting available cards that you want to trade.
    There are threads in the ATC Trades forum where you can trade them.
    Or you can put them in ATCs: Available for Trade gallery.

Art Adventurer is offline Suspended User Suspended Member
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't aware that playing cards were of different sizes. Thanks for this info, I'll be sure to check the measurements whenever I use a playing card to make into an ATC.

As for backing info, I have learned first off that some kind of artist info should go on the back, even if it's just the artist's name and the date created. Others will add more information as they see fit. Some even decorate the backs as well, but I don't do that. I put whatever information (usually on a backing sheet) that I deem necessary for an ATC and glue it on the back of each one.

Some backing ideas:
    -use pre-made backing sheets to write your information on
    -design your own ATC backs
    -just use an address label and stick on the back
    -type up your information in any word processor and cut to size then paste on
    -ATC backs are best printed/made on cardstock, although you could use regular copy paper

Art Adventurer is offline Suspended User Suspended Member
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to mention you could also simply just write your info on the back, provided it is a good surface for writing on and can be seen clearly

kiwicsi is offline Mrs Artemus Gordon of The Wild Wild West
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a word to the wise: If you are going to write your details etc directly on the back of a playing card, then be careful what type of marker you use, because some inks will bleed through to the face of the card after a time. Vivid markers are notorious for this, but Sharpies seem to be fine in my experience. (Actually, my husband's experience as a professional magician who has a great number of decks of cards!)

APCs should be done on Poker sized playing cards. The slightly smaller ones are Bridge sized.

Bishopsmate is offline Casting aside self doubt and negative self talk.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Playing Cards - England

I have just bought a pack of playing cards for a swap but on measuring them I find they are 3.5 x 2.25. These are standard playing cards in England, can they be used?
    God Bless
    Christine

Blog - atcwannabee.blogspot.com

Spirit Soul is offline She who dies with the most art supplies wins...
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I use those smaller cards I mount the finished card on a proper size cardstock background that coordinates. That is how the smaller cards have been sent to me also. I prefer having the card the right size for my binder pockets.

PS. Amazon.com sells Bicycle Distressed Playing Cards which are the regular poker size and already distressed looking: http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Distre...+playing+cards
    I got some and the fronts are deliciously distressed!
    Last edited by Spirit Soul; 01-09-2014 at 02:46 PM.
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

My APC Wish List: http://atcsforall.com/forum/showpost...27&postcount=7

Bishopsmate is offline Casting aside self doubt and negative self talk.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks SpiritSoul - I did think of that but wondered if it was 'cheating' lol
    I will do that with my cards - thanks again
    C
    God Bless
    Christine

Blog - atcwannabee.blogspot.com

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by professorvolo View Post
    So can APC's be used in trades for ATC's? I ask because I do a lot of mine on playing cards, old magic cards, pokemon cards, and some used lottery tickets.
    I would always ask fist since one time a host returned one of my cards because it was an APC, not a ATC

Kynara is offline Heavily caffeinated for the safety of others
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by professorvolo View Post
    So can APC's be used in trades for ATC's? I ask because I do a lot of mine on playing cards, old magic cards, pokemon cards, and some used lottery tickets.
    an APC is only an APC if you leave the number showing in the corner.

Otherwise you can use those cards as backing if the card is all covered up, then it's a regular ATC with rounded corners.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Non Standard Sized Cards

This makes me want to hold a swap for all the NON standard sized cards!
    I was in the Italian deli yesterday and saw some really odd sized cards, thin and long.

: ) BC7
    Toni Kay

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does regular white tacky glue work on the smooth surface of playing cards? Any glues that don't hold over time?