APC's - Altered Playing Cards

Media
APC's - Altered Playing/Poker Cards​

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ

APC's are becoming very popular on the site, but it seems that some people are a little confused over what size an APC should be.

APC's should be the same size as an ATC (2.5 x 3.5) inches. For the correct size playing card you need to use poker cards. A lot of people are using bridge cards and this is an incorrect size, being 1/4 inch short on the width.

Any swap that a host starts for APC's should be of poker card size (2.5 x 3.5 inches)
, unless otherwise stated in the thread. Remembering this will avoid your cards being returned unswapped. Hosts: please state clearly the size in your first post.

If trading 1 on 1 with a member you should be using poker cards (2.5 x 3.5 inches).
If your APC's are of a different size, you must state the size in your gallery description and/or thread description. Also when you agree to trade with someone you should clearly state in your PM that your APC's are of a non standard ATC size. Remembering this will avoid traders being disappointed.

If using any of the other sized playing cards available you must also be clear in your description as to what size they are.

From AFA Staff

I keep wondering about the backs of APCs. When using them as a deck of cards on display, I don't really like having the backs of the cards covered with artist information. I don't know how others feel about that and I'm never sure what to do......leave the back blank and include my info separately, or go ahead and put a piece of paper with my info on back> Any tips?

Ask the person what they want you to do when trading. If someone is making one specifically for you, then you can ask that they leave the back blank and just insert a piece of paper with their details on into the trading card sleeve. Mostly I think people put their info on the backs.

I use a return address label on the backs of mine. Then, if the recipient chooses, he or she can easily remove it from the back of the card. Personally, I don't mind the info on the back, nor do I mind receiving smaller cards in trade. For swaps, though, I post the ATC dimensions and the name of the card size (i.e. Poker).

I keep wondering about the backs of APCs. When using them as a deck of cards on display, I don't really like having the backs of the cards covered with artist information. I don't know how others feel about that and I'm never sure what to do......leave the back blank and include my info separately, or go ahead and put a piece of paper with my info on back> Any tips?
I've been trading for years now and I have yet to receive a card with a plain back. At a minimum the artist name address and usually email. This is in part to make sure people know who made what and will insure people won't be getting their own cards back. Some people have special backs they use and some people really go all out and decorate them. I guess if you want a plain back you need to specify that somehow or even better host your own swap?

I wasn't aware that playing cards were of different sizes. Thanks for this info, I'll be sure to check the measurements whenever I use a playing card to make into an ATC.

As for backing info, I have learned first off that some kind of artist info should go on the back, even if it's just the artist's name and the date created. Others will add more information as they see fit. Some even decorate the backs as well, but I don't do that. I put whatever information (usually on a backing sheet) that I deem necessary for an ATC and glue it on the back of each one.

Some backing ideas:
-use pre-made backing sheets to write your information on
-design your own ATC backs
-just use an address label and stick on the back
-type up your information in any word processor and cut to size then paste on
-ATC backs are best printed/made on cardstock, although you could use regular copy paper

Forgot to mention you could also simply just write your info on the back, provided it is a good surface for writing on and can be seen clearly

Just a word to the wise: If you are going to write your details etc directly on the back of a playing card, then be careful what type of marker you use, because some inks will bleed through to the face of the card after a time. Vivid markers are notorious for this, but Sharpies seem to be fine in my experience. (Actually, my husband's experience as a professional magician who has a great number of decks of cards!)

APCs should be done on Poker sized playing cards. The slightly smaller ones are Bridge sized. :)

Playing Cards - England

I have just bought a pack of playing cards for a swap but on measuring them I find they are 3.5 x 2.25. These are standard playing cards in England, can they be used?

When I use those smaller cards I mount the finished card on a proper size cardstock background that coordinates. That is how the smaller cards have been sent to me also. I prefer having the card the right size for my binder pockets.

PS. Amazon.com sells Bicycle Distressed Playing Cards which are the regular poker size and already distressed looking: http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Distr...3108&sr=8-1&keywords=distressed+playing+cards
I got some and the fronts are deliciously distressed!

Last edited:
thanks SpiritSoul - I did think of that but wondered if it was 'cheating' lol
I will do that with my cards - thanks again
C

So can APC's be used in trades for ATC's? I ask because I do a lot of mine on playing cards, old magic cards, pokemon cards, and some used lottery tickets.

I would always ask fist since one time a host returned one of my cards because it was an APC, not a ATC :unsure:

So can APC's be used in trades for ATC's? I ask because I do a lot of mine on playing cards, old magic cards, pokemon cards, and some used lottery tickets.

an APC is only an APC if you leave the number showing in the corner.

Otherwise you can use those cards as backing if the card is all covered up, then it's a regular ATC with rounded corners.

Non Standard Sized Cards

This makes me want to hold a swap for all the NON standard sized cards!
I was in the Italian deli yesterday and saw some really odd sized cards, thin and long.

: ) BC7

I'm not sure about white glue, but regardless of what glue you use I would sand it a bit first to rough it up. That's what I usually do.

I either use mod podge or gel medium for my backgrounds on the play cards and it seems to hold fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom