Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: #16 Moleskine Dream Team - First mail out 1/25/12 (Full)

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

#16 Moleskine Dream Team - First mail out 1/25/12 (Full)

First Mail Date: January 25, 2012
    Subsequent Mail-by dates: 2/25/12, 3/25/12, 4/25/12, 5/25/12, 6/25/12, 7/25/12, 8/25/12, 9/25/12, 10/25/12
    Due Back in Hand by: November 25, 2012
    Withdraw By: NOT ALLOWED
    THIS GROUP IS FULL

Materials required: One blank Japanese Moleskine accordion style pocket album. Approximate size is 3.5" x 5.5". Available at Amazon.com and at MoleskineUS here. http://www.moleskineus.com/japanesebook.html

AFA says you Must:
    •Be an actively trading AFA member (defined as: positive itrader across 2 swaps in the last 3 months)
    •Have 3+ months in good standing (no neutrals or negative iTraders)
    •Have an iTrader rating of 25+
    •Be willing and able to do your very best work on a strict, inflexible time line, over a long period
    •Be willing and able to complete three (3) 3x5 journal pages in the themes chosen by your fellow participants
    •Have the cash resources necessary to ship eight (10) journals around the world using First Class mail with mandatory tracking

It is also mandatory that you share your mailing address, a phone number, and a contact person to the host. This is to be sure no journals go MIA - info will only be shared with your fellow Moley members.

You're responsible for:
    •Choosing and explaining your theme. Each artist will choose their own theme, color scheme/do and don’ts, and special instructions for their own moley’s. You may choose "No theme" if you want participants to "follow their muse."
    •Creating a three (3) page spread in each journal you receive.
    • Include at least your name, username, and date completed on the back of your spread.
    •Shipping to the next artist participant. Use a well padded bubble envelope, sturdy box or a small Flat Rate Box.
    •Paying for First Class mail and MANDATORY tracking/Delivery Confirmation.

Artist Instructions:
    1. Decorate the covers, if you choose. This may be completed either before or after the journal travels through the rotation. Some prefer to decorate before, to establish theme, palette, and mood. Some prefer to decorate after, to prevent damage to cover art. You decide!

2. Please include: (1) Your real name and address; (2) your username; (3) your assigned "travel-plan"; (4) a sign-in area for artists; and (5) any special instructions; in the opening pages of your book -- which you should also decorate.

3. In addition to decorating your opening, informational pages, please create one, 3-4 page spread in your own Moleskine journal. Yet another opportunity to establish theme.

4. Be sure to "fix" your art well, to prevent smudging. Allow plenty of time for drying before shipping. Wax paper or tissue paper between pages is a great idea.

5. Please communicate regularly via email, PM, or preferably, in this thread, whenever you have (1) received or (2) shipped a book. Include tracking numbers. We're all investing a huge amount of time, talent, and care in this project, and we want to see everyone's Moleskine journal home safely.

6. Most important: Be creative, do your very best work, stretch yourself, and have a blast!

Participants & Themes:
    1. HotMamaRama - “What Dreams May Come”
    2. ShayNOLA - "Gardens Around the World"
    3. Juanita Rojas - "Cities and people doing things in them.....anything goes!"
    4. DebbaPeot - "Your favorite movie from the 30's, 40's, and 1950's"
    5. Wildholly - "It's What's inside that counts"
    6. Pixiepoo - "A Scene within a Scene"
    7. Genxster - "Artist's Choice"
    8. HolleyRae - "Words and Art Ingnite" (for more clarification)
    9. Fluffy Cat - "Artist choice of animal(s) in its natural environment" (But This is still an option)
    10. JSilver- "Bees, Butterflies and Blossoms"

Travel Plans:
    Please note that the order of mailing will differ for each journal. Yes, this is absolutely more confusing than mailing to the same artist after each round of creating. The reasons behind jostling the order of mailing are (1) To keep the swap lively and challenging, by changing the person you're "working toward" in each round; and (2) To balance shipping costs across all participants.

RED = ACTIVE (Actively working on pages.)
    PURPLE = TRAVELING (Journal en route to next player.)
    GREEN = COMPLETED
    PINK = Needs to do a tip in for completion
    GREY- Gone MIA - everyone can send tip-ins to replace.

HotMamaRamaShayNOLAGenxsterDebbaPeotPixiepooJSilverJuanita Rojas FluffycatHolleyRae Wildholly - HotMamaRama

GenxsterHotMamaRamaPixiepoo ShayNOLAJuanita RojasDebbaPeotHolleyRaeJSilverWildhollyFluffycat - Genxster

PixiepooGenxsterJuanita RojasHotMamaRamaHollyRaeShayNOLAWildhollyDebbaPeotFluffycatJSilver - Pixiepoo

Juanita RojasPixiepooHolleyRaeGenxsterWildhollyHotMamaRamaFluffycatShayNOLAJSilverDebbaPeotJuanita Rojas

HolleyRae – Juanita Rojas – Wildholly - Pixiepoo - Fluffycat - Genxster - JSilver - HotMamaRama - DebbaPeot - ShayNOLA - HolleyRae

WildhollyHolleyRaeFluffycatJuanita RojasJSilver PixiepooDebbaPeot GenxsterShayNOLAHotMamaRama - Wildholly

FluffycatWildholly JSilverHolleyRaeDebbaPeotJuanita Rojas ShayNOLA - PixiepooHotMamaRamaGenxsterFluffycat

JSilverFluffycatDebbaPeotWildhollyShayNOLA HolleyRae HotMamaRamaJuanita RojasGenxsterPixiepoo - JSilver

DebbaPeotJSilver ShayNOLAFluffycatHotMamaRamaWildhollyGenxsterHolleyRaePixiepooJuanita Rojas - DebbaPeot

ShayNOLADebbaPeotHotMamaRamaJSilverGenxsterFluffycatPixiepooWildhollyJuanita RojasHolleyRae - ShayNOLA

To another beautiful journey...
    May your moleys always be undamaged,
    May your paper never buckle, and
    May the post always be early!
    May you never spill ink on the previous masterpiece,
    May the wind never blow crap onto your wet paint,
    May your kid never mash your moley into his oatmeal,
    And may your mailman not be named Newman.

-Creative Blessing By:
    Artful Disarray & Juanita Rojas
    Last edited by HotMamaRama; 12-30-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: restore

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will be lurking on this one just to see what you all come up with! Looks like a fun and lively group! Have fun!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yay! We are up and official! Woot Woot!
    And we even have our first lurker! Welcome Artlady!
    Last edited by HotMamaRama; 12-31-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    woo hoo! I'm excited

HolleyRae is offline Suspended User Suspended Member
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oooo I'm excited too! So a few questions...and you may have already answered these...
    Can we mail out earlier than the 25th?
    How do I exchange addresses (PM or will their be a list somewhere)?
    I'm missing ShayNOLA on my exchange list...IDK?

Yay! I'm so excited and I just can't hide it... whoa sorry I'll try to keep the sporadic bouts of my-lifes-a-musical-ism to a minimum

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can I put ShayNola as the last person in my rotation before it comes back to me? It looks like she isn't in the last swap group.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for pointing that out HolleyRae. I'll go back and check my master list and make the correction so Shay is in the right order for your mailing. When I went back and changed names, it probably just got accidentally deleted.

With regards to mailing out early, I'm fine with it IF you first check with the person you are mailing to, & let us know in the thread that it is going postal. That way I can mark it correctly on the first page where the book is in the rotation.

What we don't want to have happen, is for someone to get behind or overwhelmed with 2 or 3 books at one time. It can happen and then other artists are stuck with no book for long periods of time.

Re: exchanging addresses, once I have everyones contact information, I will PM everyone with a master address list for easier mailing.

Great questions BTW!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had this interesting idea posted in the original thread for my theme, but think I'm going to change it and make it simpler.

Artist choice of animal(s) in its natural environment. What ever medium you're most comfortable with.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is what ShayNOLA had in the other thread for a theme:

I'm still thinking to go with a "Gardens Around the World' theme. Some ideas are a Japanese garden with gieshas, koi fish and cherry blossom trees; an Indian garden with bright colors and architectural design elements (lots of intricate details), Buddha statues, etc; New Orleans style gardens with ferns, palms, live oaks with spanish moss and black wrought iron fences or sitting area; A tropical/Mexican garden with elements of Mexican tile/pottery, salamanders, palms, etc; a Dutch garden with windmill and tulips; a roman garden among ruins; a lush, wild english garden with cottage; a Moroccan garden, a french colonial Vietnamese garden... LOL, the ideas are endless!
    I would like it to be mostly HP/HD but I wouldn't mind seeing some simple collage elements mixed throughout.... nothing chunky. I'm not into the fibers and I know this goes with out saying, but no stickers.
    I envision bold, lively, vivid colors... no pastels. I love intricate patterns, so a bit of zentangling and/or zetti would be nice. I will try to incorporate all these elements in my first three pages.
    Last edited by HotMamaRama; 01-06-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is HolleyRaes Theme:

Moley Theme:
    Words and Art Ingnite - Create a three page consecutive spread inspired by your favorite collection of words (lyrics, poem, quote, proverb, etc). Include your word inspiration somewhere within the art of your spread and clearly write them again on the back of your pages. To keep the fire burning, create “lead-ins” from your spread to the next one… helping to ignite the creative endeavor.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffycat View Post
    I had this interesting idea posted in the original thread for my theme, but think I'm going to change it and make it simpler.

Artist choice of animal(s) in its natural environment. What ever medium you're most comfortable with.
    Oh I loved your idea with the tinga tinga paintings!!!! That is such a cool style and was looking forward to the challenge. So if I can pull it off, would you still be okay with my attempt at that style???

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    for those that didn't get to see what Fluffycat's first theme idea was, here's what she had posted in the other thread....

I've got my theme. Animals in a garden in the style of tinga tinga paintings.

Here's the background on tinga tinga paintings
    http://www.tingatingastudio.com/menu_paintings1.html

if you google tinga tinga paintings and view results through 'images' you'll get many more examples of what I'm looking for. I love all the bright colors and the patterning. Pick what ever animal(s) you like best and give them a colorful garden. You can do a different scene for each of your three pages or combine all of your pages together to make one longer scene. hand drawn hand painted with what ever materials you enjoy working with. My only concern with collage (and I like collage) would be the pages sticking together and all collage sticks. NC is so dang humid it makes all of that stuff even worse.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    My theme is artist's choice. Whatever anyone wants to do for the three-pages is fine. I'd prefer hd/hp, but some collage is fine.

BTW, I don't understand Hollyrae's theme. Can she elaborate or post some sort of example? Not sure what kind of art she wants with text.

Looking at these themes I'm starting to feel a bit limited here, but I'll do my best.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    MEL!!!!! I was just thinking about you!!!!

You will do wonderful with these themes, no need to be so hard on yourself!!!! You are an amazing artist and I know you can handle this!!! And keep in mind, that everyone's book will have the first few pages already done according to the style and theme that they chose. Thus setting the tone and giving us all a jumping off point.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    And just a reminder for everyone :
    The beauty & challenge of these themes and diffference in styles is what makes these moley exchanges so exciting and fun. The object isn't to have all the pages look the same, but rather exemplify each artists style while maintaining continuity through the theme.
    We all have our own style (or if you are like me, you're still trying to figure it out - ha ha) These book swaps are meant to be fun and creative. We get to spend a year together creating art and hanging out together! Think of it as a big "Show & Tell" like we used to do in Elementary School.

We will have good days, bad days, great days, and life happens during this whole time. The key to making this swaps successful is keeping the lines of communication open in the thread and in messages. Do that, and we will all have a grand time!!!!
    (This concludes this public service annoucement. Creative programming will continue at this time.)
    Last edited by HotMamaRama; 01-03-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Moley Theme for #16 is.... "Your favorite movie from the 30's, 40's, and 1950's.
    This will be a layout of Your Movie Retrospect with one or more memorable Quote(s) from the movie you've choosen to draw.

Example: 1936's Little Women with Joan Bennett, Katherine Hepburn.

Artists would draw a scene or, your interruptation of a particular frame in the movie that effects you. Then write (on your layout) your favorite quote or quotes from the movie you have drawn.

So I could draw Katherine Hepburn walking into her next-door neighbors study room and she is overwhelmed at the site of hundreds of books upon the surrounding shelves.

And then on my layout I would write : "Christopher Columbus!"

It was Katharine Hepburn, playing Jo in George Cukor's 1933 film, who was first forced to cry ''Christopher Columbus!'' over and over.

I would prefer hd/hp. Your layout can be done in black and white or color. If you have any questions let me know. I will try and post my Moley layout ASAP.
    *CreATe* DrAw* ImAGinE* LoVE * sMiLe* lAUgH* hUG*

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!! Deb that is going to be one amazing book come next year!! I'm terrible with old movies - I know old TV shows better than the old movies. LOL Fortunately, my sister is an avid fan of that genre of film so I'll be sure to pick her brain for ideas!!!! Guess I better start practice drawing Cary Grant.
    Last edited by HotMamaRama; 01-03-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Genxster,
    To help clarify...
    I really enjoy seeing what people envision when they hear their favorite favorite quote, song lyric, or a good ol' saying. Basically, you can choose any set of text and then illustrate what it makes you think of or feel. I don't have any expectations of a specific style or color scheme for this book so ever spread can be wildly different. And as for the text, it can play a minor or major role in your overall image; it doesn't matter to me as long as I can read it! The only aesthetic request that I have is that each artist allows their image to leak over the 3rd pages border... creating an irregular flow between the sections and challenging the next artist to "work with" the lead-ins. I think it will spice up the transitions a bit!

I'll post an image of my 1st three pages so you can see what I've dreamed up.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ooooo DebbaPoet,

Can you suggest some of your favorite movies from those eras? I have some super favorites from that time frame in cinema ranging from Gone with the Wind and Casablanca to Frankenstein and The Searcher. Is there a specific type of film that you are looking for... romance, horror, drama, comedy?

Hmmmmm...Oh, I'd love to have a "Movie Theme Night" with my gal pals centered around your favs! We really go all out with themed food, clothes, and anything else we can think of! I think THIS has the makings of an awesome night

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holley - your movie them night sounds like so much fun! And the idea of matching food and clothes, etc. I bet sure makes the night fun!

My in-laws gave us a novelty old movie theatre style popcorn popper for Christmas. It's like a mini version of what you see at the theatre. perfect for making family movie night even more fun!