Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: #16 Moleskine Dream Team - First mail out 1/25/12 (Full)

HolleyRae is offline Suspended User Suspended Member
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the opening of my moley. I'm trying out a different style from my "usual"

One of my favorite quotes is...
    "Slight not what's near, while aiming at what's far." -Euripides

This is the imagery the quote makes me think of. I constantly need to remember to just BE and appreciate what is right here, right now and quit living for tomorrows. *Sigh* You only get one chance to live This day.

I hope this kinda helps explain my theme. Yours does not have to have the same mood, style, or media though. I just want your visual representation of a text...any text.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holy mackeroli! That is BEAUTIFUL HolleyRae! And love what you have written on the first page! So poetic!
    And I totally get how the text supports the artwork!

Such great themes you all are choosing!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    HOLEY MOLEY !! HA! I bet that gets said often here.

HolleyRae--- Jaw dropping! Just gives me tingles all over.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    HollyRae and other groupies!! (tee hee, that sounds too funny tonight!)
    For my theme of movies from the 30's, 40's, and 50's can be any film/movie from these time periods.
    You might want to hop on over to Turner Classic Movies at: http://www.TCM.com

I have too many favorites to list, but here are just a few of some of my favorite:

To Kill A Mockingbird, Major and the Minor, Tale of Two Cities, CasaBlanca
    Maltese Falcon, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Showboat, Fiddler on the Roof
    DungaDin, Any Hitchcock movies (like North by NorthWest), Singing in the Rain
    The court jester, The Girl with Green Eyes, Pillow Talk, Wizard of OZ, Susan Slept Here

Sorry if that's not much help, but if you still have questions send me a pm and I can send you more info.

Hugs!
    *CreATe* DrAw* ImAGinE* LoVE * sMiLe* lAUgH* hUG*

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is my first attempt at moleys. Got a LOT of reading up to do. I'm SUPER excited about this. Muse, don't fail me now!! Thanks for letting me play with the big girls!("big" meant in a nice way!!LOL!)
    old lady on the outside

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great to see you onboard here Jane. Welcome!... I am a newbie at this too and we are not alone.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Wild. I'm very jazzed!
    I've decided on a rather easy theme:"Bees, Butterflies and Blossoms". Actually I'd like anything in a floral or vegetable garden. Think: bees, butterflies, birds, bird houses, mushrooms, all kinds of plants, people, structures. It doesn't matter if the artist wants to do a consecutive layout or 3 different ones. Mostly hd/hp but simple collage elements are OK too. I love jewel tones and muted colors. Any season, though spring, summer and fall would be best. Writing is fine when it adds to the art. If I haven't made myself clear, please ask. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as we go along.
    Can't wait to get started!
    old lady on the outside

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great theme choice Jane! So many different ways you could go with it! And I love making bees and butterflies!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HotMamaRama View Post
    This is what ShayNOLA had in the other thread for a theme:

I'm still thinking to go with a "Gardens Around the World' theme. Some ideas are a Japanese garden with gieshas, koi fish and cherry blossom trees; an Indian garden with bright colors and architectural design elements (lots of intricate details), Buddha statues, etc; New Orleans style gardens with ferns, palms, live oaks with spanish moss and black wrought iron fences or sitting area; A tropical/Mexican garden with elements of Mexican tile/pottery, salamanders, palms, etc; a Dutch garden with windmill and tulips; a roman garden among ruins; a lush, wild english garden with cottage; a Moroccan garden, a french colonial Vietnamese garden... LOL, the ideas are endless!
    I would like it to be mostly HP/HD but I wouldn't mind seeing some simple collage elements mixed throughout.... nothing chunky. I'm not into the fibers and I know this goes with out saying, but no stickers.
    I envision bold, lively, vivid colors... no pastels. I love intricate patterns, so a bit of zentangling and/or zetti would be nice. I will try to incorporate all these elements in my first three pages.

Is this what you still plan to go with Shay?
    So nice of you to get this for me! I was thinking I was going to have to search for it. Yep... I'm still very interested in this theme. I'll be working on my spread at ARTzona. See ya then!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    My TITLE IS: It's whats inside that counts

I'd like the pages to flow from one to the other if possible. On your pages add all things that you love. It does not have to be a chain or charms...but it would be great if somehow you could extend a ribbon or something at the top to join each page to look connected in some creative way..please also feel free to fill in with written words, positive affirmations, verse, poetry, short story ..OH (I love it all)
    Pen and inks, pencil etc-I'd love to see more sepia tones...but I love color too, of course....I am crazy for fine line and detailing.
    I love the artwork of Andrea Joseph and love her style of written words mingling in and around the artwork. Sort of on that idea but in your own original and wonderful style.
    COLORS: just not to fond of pepto pink.
    Color choices of Sepia tones, burnt sienna, mossy greens. Old gem tones, wood, metals coppers and verdigris....follow your muse
    I also love steampunk style alot too.(Like gadgets, gears, air ships etc)
    Oddbits of paper collage: Sure but limited, like ONLY on the wording part. I don't mind a small bit of paper word collage well blended into the pen and ink words but drawings should be all original illustration, drawn by your own hand.
    I know they will all be awesome.
    once I get my first pages completed it will be easy to get the idea and run with it.
    Last edited by wildholly; 01-26-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow, Holly. That sounds awesome. I love the charms idea. Actually, I love the whole thing. You DO come up with some really great ideas. I'll look forward to getting your book.
    old lady on the outside

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HotMamaRama View Post
    Oh I loved your idea with the tinga tinga paintings!!!! That is such a cool style and was looking forward to the challenge. So if I can pull it off, would you still be okay with my attempt at that style???
    Of course! I would love to see what you come up with.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still lurking... You all are coming up with some Grrreat stuff!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi 1 Art Lady! It's nice to see you here and chatting with us. I love it! cheers!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    All the excitement of finally being able to start our group and I forgot to mention the details for my theme.

My Theme is: "What Dreams May Come" Inspired by the Movie. I highly recommend (But not required) watching it if you've never seen it. Lots of great imagery and ideas could be generated from it. Colorful gardens, cities in the sky, dark scary hellish abyss, heavenly relm, etc.

The dream theme is not limited to what was in the movie either. Maybe it would look like something out of Land of the Lost. Or Ancient Egypt. Or Planet of the Apes. Or a combination of them all! Ancient Egyptian ape people in a battle with the Sleestak! (Okay so that's a stretch)
    Some of my favorite dreams are when I'm flying, skiing, or deep sea swimming without any gear. Just free styling it!

Just like in real dreams, the imagery overlaps and changes as it goes, so please slightly overlap the entries so they seem to blend together into a single panoramic landscape. The scale can be altered by moving objects into the foreground if you prefer to include a close-up. For example, a One-eyed Creature may decide to look out at the artist from the page while the landscape recedes to the background.

I love vivid color but am fine with muted tones and monochromatic layouts too, if used sparingly. As long as it fits the theme. Maybe it's a good dream, maybe a nightmare - either way, the colors should enhance the mood of the "dreamscape". I dream in color, but my husband usually dreams in B&W, with an occational object or two the only thing in color.

I would like only hand-drawn/hand-painted entries in the medium of your choice that best suits your style. (As long as it is archival quality) I'm fine with realistic, whimsical, dark (as in foreboding not satanic or cultish) light and happy whatever floats your boat.

What do you dream about???
    Last edited by HotMamaRama; 01-06-2012 at 01:44 AM. Reason: brain nibbled on by sleestak

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am SO looking forward to this. I do believe I can make something worthwhile for everyone. Thank you all for not asking me to draw fairies in the anime style doing something at Hogwarts!!!! I would be a horrible disappointment.
    I am sticking with my theme, that is "Cities and things that happen in them." I don't want anything really horrible or dark (even though.....) but weird, strange, magical and wonderful are just fine!
    Also, anyone who wants to do a layout-type panorama - I'd love that! You know, like a scrapbook or collaged page.....
    I like Trina's idea of overlapping the pages panorama hotmamarama style, so I'd like that, too.
    One burning question from this newbie and I hope I describe this right - when you open your moley from the front (not the pocket side which is the back) there is an inside front cover and then the "In case of loss" page," and the back of that page. Are these the pages that we draw our own first images on? After that page, the moley opens up into three-segment panorama-type pages.
    I want to start drawing!
    Last edited by Juanita Rojas; 01-06-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: add more
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Check out the
    Chunky 'See It First' PIF http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32021

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanita Rojas View Post
    Thank you all for not asking me to draw fairies in the anime style doing something at Hogwarts!!!! I would be a horrible disappointment. I second this statement!!!

...One burning question from this newbie and I hope I describe this right - when you open your moley from the front (not the pocket side which is the back) there is an inside front cover and then the "In case of loss" page," and the back of that page. Are these the pages that we draw our own first images on? After that page, the moley opens up into three-segment panorama-type pages.
    I want to start drawing!
    Excellent question darling!! RE: The inside cover and first single/loose page that reads "In case of loss" -- These pages are an excellent place for posting your travel plan, (ie, list the order of who gets your book in what order). Also a good idea to include your name & mailing address somewhere here. (If you read #2 on under Artist Instructions on the first page it's explained there too)

A sign-in area is fine on these first pages -OR- you could also put your sign-in area on the back pocket. I've also seen people make up a little sign-in booklet that was placed inside the back pocket. It's your book so you can put these things in whatever order you prefer.

THEN - when you open to those first 3-4 pages of the accordian style portion of the book, this is where you design the layout to set the tone for the book.

Does this help?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    here is what I did on my first opening pages of my last moley. I used the whole two pages for just the travel plan.

This was my cover. It was supposed to look like a ships porthole.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I used for my artist sign-in. Since my theme was all about a divers day in search of atlantis, I had the artists sign-in as if they were the diver.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trina,
    Thank you for the further explanations and info...It sure helped me a big bunch.

Can we see your completed moley..please please?????