Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: #18 Magical Mischief and Mayhem Moley Group...First Mail Out 2/1/2013(FULL)

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    i believe it needs to be a "real" person like a spouse or family member, etc....something like that. someone that can be contacted on the off chance that you simply disappear which i cant imagine happening with this group but its still something i have to ask for.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    i agree...i have no doubt youll have something fun and fanciful for us, Kelly!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    im still working on a theme too. was thinking of just going with "artist's choice" since i admire all of your work so much and want you to be free to create as the muse leads you but if i suddenly have a brilliant idea like the ones already posted...i may go with that. decisions, decisions, decisions...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just asked for a moleskine journal for Christmas! Yay! Can't wait!
    Meanwhile, can anyone who's done this before tell me how to track shipments to foreign countries? Is there a certain shipping rate that tracks or is there something similar to delivery confirmation in the states? Just wondered for future reference.
    He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming
    soon."
    Amen. Come, Lord Jesus. The grace of the Lord Jesus be
    with God's people. Amen.-Revelation 22:20-21
    Crows and Ravens
    Profile PAT

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    that is a very good question. i would assume that the post office can help with that. anyone dealt with that before?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can only answer that for my country. I have to go to the post office and fill in a form
    for sending packages outside the country with or without tracking. You just pay more if you ask for tracking.
    "Creativity is intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
    My APC list

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    i assume it is similar here. i know for anything larger than a regular envelope they will require you to fill out a customs form. i would imagine that you will then have to ask for delivery confirmation just as you would for mailing in this country and pay the extra amount for it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am still thinking on my theme.

CONCERNING TRACKING BETWIXT COUNTRIES:
    with country to country public mail (USPS, Royal Mail, etc. the government run type) there is NO tracking beyond your own customs office! If you want tracking door to door it requires using a private mail company like UPS, Fed Ex etc. Which makes it significantly more costly. Usually the added cost is waived and we pray and cross our fingers with our regular pubic mail system.
    I have met and heard of ignorant USPS employees who will sell you the tracking for packages leaving our country- it's a waste of 85 cents because it only works to the customs office, it does NOT track once it leaves USPS hands.

EDITORIAL OPINION:
    I would not sign up if I couldn't afford it, but at the same time I trust the public mail systems of the various countries we have represented in this specific group and would rather not have to pay $15-20 each to ship a couple of these books over the course of this swap. I would not be saying this if we had anyone in Africa or the far east, both have areas with bad reputations of mail theft as well as my own personal experience of having mail disappear, both coming and going.

That's my two cents, I leave the final judgement to our hostess.
    "Everything is better with diamond glaze, it's like bacon that way." grrrdjules

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    MONEY
    I have participated in 3 moley groups and a dozen or so chunky swaps. On average, a moley runs between $2-4 with tracking within the USA. The smallest flat rate box is $5.15, not including tracking, making boxes only economical for the very end of a books run when it's gotten fat and heavy.

On average, US to Canada is about half again more, $3.50-6 bucks for an envelope with a moley in it.

On average US to western Europe (UK, France, Belguim, Sweden, Spain are places I've mailed) it's right about double the cost for an enveloped book $5-10 bucks.

Remember, USPS flat rate boxes are a higher rate when used internationally, and have a weight limit, unlike within the US.

We Americans are spoiled! Most countries postal systems are double the rates we pay, some even triple.
    Last edited by Penlowe; 12-19-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I nailed it down:

My theme is inspiring words

I would like you to choose a phrase or sentence that inspires you, include at least part of them within the art you do, and illustrate it. Full text can be on the back side with who/ where it came from and your info.

ELABORATION:
    I know the passage I will use in my spread comes from first Corinthians in the bible, it's about love.
    I don't want 'oh that's a nice sentiment' type words, I want words that really mean something to you. That phrase, quote, verse or song lyric you come back to over and over throughout the years. Sometimes the words that have great meaning to us don't conjure great pictures, so I leave it to your discretion exactly how you choose to illustrate them.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hurrah I figured out my theme:

Animal Illustrations

-Please do create a background.
    - 1 page Realistic Representation
    - 1 page Your favorite Style
    - 1 page in wearing a party Hat

Please make art and not just a cut out if you are not hand drawing or painting.
    Please don't use stickers
    Please don't use heavy embellishments as I'd like the book to close neatly.

Examples of Animal Illustrations I love:
    http://pinterest.com/robinpanzerart/...illustrations/
    http://pinterest.com/robinpanzerart/art-bovine/
    http://pinterest.com/robinpanzerart/art-rabbits/
    http://pinterest.com/robinpanzerart/art-owls/

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyGirl View Post
    Hurrah I figured out my theme:

Animal Illustrations

-Please do create a background.
    - 1 page Realistic Representation
    - 1 page Your favorite Style
    - 1 page in wearing a party Hat

Please make art and not just a cut out if you are not hand drawing or painting.
    Please don't use stickers
    Please don't use heavy embellishments as I'd like the book to close neatly.

Examples of Animal Illustrations I love:
    http://pinterest.com/robinpanzerart/...illustrations/
    http://pinterest.com/robinpanzerart/art-bovine/
    http://pinterest.com/robinpanzerart/art-rabbits/
    http://pinterest.com/robinpanzerart/art-owls/
    I really liked the stipulations in Robby's instructions that I changed to bold above. Light embellishments are ok but the top two are especially appropriate for my pages also!

Thanks Robby!
    If arting most of the night is wrong, I don't want to be right!
    ----Me
    My Flickr photostream https://www.flickr.com/photos/127432040@N06/

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe those two would be a good idea for all the books. I assume we all want the artists to show their own art, not make sticker or magazine cut out pictures.

Though if I'm wrong, someone speak up.
    He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming
    soon."
    Amen. Come, Lord Jesus. The grace of the Lord Jesus be
    with God's people. Amen.-Revelation 22:20-21
    Crows and Ravens
    Profile PAT

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love your theme!
    Quote Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
    Ok, I nailed it down:

My theme is inspiring words

I would like you to choose a phrase or sentence that inspires you, include at least part of them within the art you do, and illustrate it. Full text can be on the back side with who/ where it came from and your info.

ELABORATION:
    I know the passage I will use in my spread comes from first Corinthians in the bible, it's about love.
    I don't want 'oh that's a nice sentiment' type words, I want words that really mean something to you. That phrase, quote, verse or song lyric you come back to over and over throughout the years. Sometimes the words that have great meaning to us don't conjure great pictures, so I leave it to your discretion exactly how you choose to illustrate them.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can I add to the shipping discussion as well that people PLEASE don't send your moley in a pouch and/or with heavy embellishments to keep cost of sendning down.

Robby I love your theme, my concern is that many people - myself included - can't do "realistic". It actually makes me break out in a sweat just thinking about it lol.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay sweet Ames I'm going to be a bit of a pain in the butt and ask a bunch of questions to make sure/confirm I'm doing this right because it's my first moley.

I decorate:

The front cover (before or after)

The inside of the front cover (Travel Plan)

The information page (where I include my name/address/phone and stuff)

Do I do the back of the information page?

Where does the "Sign In" Page go? Is this just a place for a signature or is it more creative than that?

I then create the first 3 accordion pages in my own theme.

Do I do anything on the back page/pocket?

Does anyone have photos of a finished Moley to share?
    Last edited by RobbyGirl; 12-19-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    goodness gracious! so much to address...*big breath*...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sarah...thank so much for the shipping info. everyone does have to keep in mind the added cost of sending internationally and our 2 internationals (who will have to send every book international) esp need to be sure they are ready for the financial impact. i hope that it wont be an issue for anyone but i want everyone to know what they are committing to.

your theme is wonderful! something to definitely be pondering so that i can make something truly inspirational.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    i also agree that we need to keep the embellishments to a minimum. anything that severely interferes with the books ability to close securely or that will add significantly to the shipping cost should be avoided as should anything that could possibly flake or rub off and end up on someone elses pages. making sure to let your pages dry very well and placing wax paper between the pages before sending will really go a long way toward protecting the art and getting our books home in the best possible condition.

i think every artist in this group is well aware that collage is so much more than simply slapping on a sticker or a picture from a magazine and calling it good. i dont believe that will be an issue for anyone but its always a good reminder.
    Last edited by theweavershand; 12-19-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Robin...great theme! i have to agree with Jules that realistic is not something that some of us are comfortable with so i hope you will be happy with our own personal interpretations of realism.