Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

The Doll Caravan A Moley-esque Art Doll Swap due August 15 2013

The Doll Caravan A Moley-esque Art Doll Swap
    Swap Start Feb 15 2013 Swap Due Date –August 15 2013

Signup/withdraw date – Jan 15 2013
    First Mail Date February 15 2013
    Number of participants – six *FULL*

This swap is for a 3-D art doll collaboration, similar to the dolls that appear in the book The Doll Chronicals.
    The concept: circulate dolls among six artists, each artist contributing something to the work in progress. In the end each artist will receive back her doll with the art work and imagination of the other 5 artists.

Rules, Rules, Rules:

There are no withdrawals.

You will need a starter doll. It can be a torso, a complete body, a store bought doll to be altered.

Postage & Mailing:

You will need some sort of mailing box that is sturdy enough to survive opening and remailing to subsequent artists. Sorry it is unlikely that a padded envelope will be sufficient.

Dolls need to be mailed by the 15th of the month to the next artist in the travel plan.

Participants

Pochadiva
    Helene
    Oddbreed
    Nanner
    Jewels
    Art_Junkie

Travel Plan

Pochadiva: Helene, Nanner, Oddbreed, Jewels, Art_Junkie
    Helene: Nanner, Oddbreed, Jewels, Art_Junkie, Pochadiva
    Nanner: Oddbreed, Jewels, Art_Junkie, Pochadiva, Helene
    Oddbreed: Jewels, Art_Junkie, Pochadiva, Helene, Nanner
    Jewels: Art_Junkie, Pochadiva, Helene, Nanner, Oddbreed
    Art-Junkie: Pochadiva: Helene, Nanner, Oddbreed, Jewels

I've put together some aspects of each doll that has been posted in the thread so far. If any of you have anything to add, please let me know and I'll include it in the description/theme guidelines of your doll on this page so you don't have to search the thread for the details.

Art_junkie: “Keeper of the Garden Gate” She's about 14" tall. Her body is gesso painted fabric. The fabric can be painted on or sewn, but you may need pliers to push the needle through the fabric. Better to sew or embroider piece fabric then hot glue it onto the body.
    Her face rhinestones and wooden clock weight calves are trophies from my brother's dumpster diving.

Pochadiva: “Some Tomato…Garden Queen” She measures 20" long....she has legs! She is made of fabric as you can see with an old tomato pin cushion for the head. She is ripe for lots of sewing and things can be wrapped, snapped, glued and/or tied to her as well.

Helene: “ECLECTICA!!!” Porcelain doll head …obviously in need of some kind of brain bucket since I ripped off her wig...Torso and arms: remnants of this art project of Angels dressed in gowns made out of vintage christening dresses, with wooden wings... Legs: plastic lab tubes...attached to the bodies by putting them on the corks...removable for shipping! DON'T BE AFRAID TO LOAD HER UP! AND as Ruth noticed: she's BALD!!!! Someone hopefully will help her, down the congo line....it doesn't have to be hair either!!!!! hint hint….

Oddbreed: She is sewn outta heavy cotton cloth fabric, her hair is made of funky yarn and my doll measures 16 inches long, wow, but she bends in all directions, you can’t see her hair well in the pic but it’s pink, and I love red so maybe I will make her an evil twin with red hair…..

Jewels: “Miss Kitty Fish Sticks” She’s my silly cat doll. She's made from a Campbell's soup can which has a little door with hinges on her tummy. You can put whatever you like inside.
    The head and feet are ceramic.

Nanner: “Pinocchio Revisited” He's cut loose of his puppet strings…. off to raise some heck.

If you would like to make notes of your construction process along the way for each doll, that is optional. I am going to include a page for each participant with my doll for some brief notes...nothing elaborate. Several of you have expressed an interest but please don't feel any pressure along these lines.

Feedback is always welcome!

Feel free to post pictures to show off your efforts.
    Last edited by Pochadiva; 04-05-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    If arting most of the night is wrong, I don't want to be right!
    ----Me
    My Flickr photostream https://www.flickr.com/photos/127432040@N06/

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ladies....here we go!
    If arting most of the night is wrong, I don't want to be right!
    ----Me
    My Flickr photostream https://www.flickr.com/photos/127432040@N06/

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there. Just checking in.
    Etsy shop Gems by Jewels!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    you are awesome Bonnie, and thanks to Jewels for suggestion the thread

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

SO EXCITING! you 2 rock!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's an image of my doll, Keeper of the Garden Gate. She's about 14" tall. Her body is gesso painted fabric. The fabric can be painted on or sewn, but you may need pliers to push the needle through the fabric. Better to sew or embroider piece fabric then hot glue it onto the body.

Her face rhinestones and wooden clock weight calves are trophies from my brother's dumpster diving.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    and shes wonderful ! i cant believe you can still dumpster dive...i remeber those days

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually it's my brother who dumper dives, I just get to sort through his trophies.

It makes for interesting plane travel when I fly home.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ohhhhh...subscribing so I'll remember to come back and see photos. This will be some doll!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok...after two attempts, here is my doll....she is "Some Tomatoe". She measures 20" long....she has legs! I was out of my mind on the first doll and put so much on it that it is already almost finished. I'll post it later.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah-ha-ha! I love the pin cushion head. Lost your mind on the other? I can only imagine

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    So HERE you ladies are! Woo Hoo! Let's doll this...er....let's DO THIS! Sorry you didn't get clearance-Clarence to technically host us Junkster (and art doll Chronicle mama!) Thanks to the Bonster Monster for stepping in.

LOVING the doll starters we have going. I am digging through my treasure trove to see what speaks to me as we speak!
    My Website: lifeofnanner.com My Instagram: #lifeofnanner

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh...forgot to mention...but you can probably figure it out, my doll form is totally fabric right now so easy to sew stuff onto. Thanks art_junkie for creating the specifics of the swap...it was perfect so super easy to post. My other doll has a larger unripe tomatoe pin cushion head as well. I showed it to Helene at our club meeting on Thursday and she liked the head also. I've had this stuff laying around here for years!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Art Dolls are great for sucking up odd art materials...problem is then you run out.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope I can get to that point sometime. Can you spell craft/art clutter?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the term is Art Hoarder, Bonster. Ahem.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh the excitement is just intense!

great start to the dolls ladies! i had made a cloth doll some years ago and tossed er in the "to finish someday" box, when we all decided to take this journey, i realized she would be the perfect fit for this type of thing!

she is sewn outta heavy cotton cloth fabric, her hair is made of funky yarn and i will do the face before she goes on her caravan~
    Last edited by oddbreed; 07-12-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nanner View Post
    I believe the term is Art Hoarder, Bonster. Ahem.
    sounds like AA, i my name is Odd and im an art hoarder, it all started when...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice bod, Odd!

I can just see the prob with our AA Art Hoarding meetings. Everyone presents their hoarding stories while sharing photos of the piles and boxes of supplies. But we all just look at each other and say "I don't see the problem here!" and "Hey, is that a box full of porcelain doll heads...score!!!"

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oddbreed View Post
    oh the excitement is just intense!

great start to the dolls ladies! i had made a cloth doll some years ago and tossed er in the "to finish someday" box, when we all decided to take this journey, i realized she would be the perfect fit for this type of thing!

she is sewn outta heavy cotton cloth fabric, her hair is made of funky yarn and i will do the face before she goes on her caravan~
    Ha Ha.....my doll bod is of the same scenario...I was filled with glee that I still had the darn thing in a drawer!

Art hoarder sisterhood....yay!