Tonalism Nocturnes - Due March 8th

Mine too OldsLady1992! The trick for me is lots of semi-translucent layers. I particularly like Golden's "Open" matte medium to mix with the paint.

Photos?

Does any medium include photos? I have some wonderful sunset/evening pictures from the beach and the Great Plains. Everything else I've tried has been a total disaster. These would be just as they were taken, un manipulated, except for size. Let me know, please, if that would be ok. I will understand if you would prefer not to get photographs.

Mine are done! But they are still wet. Since is so cold, it will probably be a week until I can post!

Betsyg - In the background swap, the backgrounds were 99% hand painted. But I did say any medium, so I'm going to let you make that call. If you think you have something that has a real 'wow' factor, send them in! One thing I will say is that I got a little discouraged with some of mine and just painted a wash over the whole thing and was inspired by the result. You might be just a few more moments away from a breakthrough experience.

SunTrade... I too have done a lot of water miscible oil on paper and I know the feeling. Grumbacher has a stellar 'quick dry' medium that I swear by (I had to order it from Dick Blick). I also had one of those halogen desk lamps that got really hot, and used that to speed drying. That being said, you have time. No worries.

and done! :P

edit: for some reason I thought we had the option for 6:6...oops! No worries..I will pick out my favorites to send for swap and list the rest in the available to trade gallery!

Last edited:
Very excited to see your work cairnlae, and thank you for showing it in progress. Hopefully that will inspire others to tinker around. :)

Lindley I use traditional paint. I do not like the water based oils at all! Hope is ok. If you can make the water based ones work, I am in total awe! :notworthy:

My cards are done and just two have dried. Please let me know if they fit the theme of what you are looking for!

Last edited:
These look wonderful SunTrade! I'm always amazed at people who can work so easily with regular oils. Mine get all muddy.

I've been playing around. Here is one of mine. It's the view toward Mull from Iona island in the Hebrides. Or what I remember it looking like anyhoo. :D

1_2014_MAR_Tonalism_Noc_Iona03.jpg

Got OldsLady1992's cards in the mail. :jiggy: I love the use of fabric over cardstock to create more texture Connie. Great idea!

Back
Top Bottom