Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Before you copy another artists work off the internet to use in your art...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stealing one's artwork is a bad thing....getting sued for it can be very painful and expensive.
    Art On!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about the swaps that are: "in the style of". I normally sketched from the original artwork, but as I understood is what the host is asking for.

As I understood making you own drawing imitating work is under fair use. In college, our art teacher had us doing that all the time, so we could follow certain line and form.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    In answer to your question, SunTrade, here's AN answer to your question presented by Stephen McCranie. Stephen has some interesting ideas about sustainable creativity.

http://doodlealley.com/2012/11/21/pr...-make-perfect/

Hopefully you'll find it useful

McCranie quotes Picasso - something about great artists stealing. I guess that's spoilers!
    Last edited by torqueNUT; 05-08-2014 at 01:55 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SunTrade View Post
    What about the swaps that are: "in the style of". I normally sketched from the original artwork, but as I understood is what the host is asking for.

As I understood making you own drawing imitating work is under fair use. In college, our art teacher had us doing that all the time, so we could follow certain line and form.
    I take "in the style of" to mean you draw your own image/your own idea following the style of the artist not copying one of their pieces of work.

For your own use (something not to be published, displayed and/or sold), of course you can copy/imitate an artist's work. That has been done for centuries and, yes, that's how art it taught. Once you display/sell the work you step on the toes of the Copyright Laws (as difficult as they are to understand completely).
    FLORIDA MEMBERS...SIGN IN PLEASE
    www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16337

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by debs913 View Post
    This is one of the difficulties I have as a host when working with collage cards. I do digital collage, but am always careful to use out of copyright images (most of which I've gleaned myself so I know where they come from.)

I'm interested in what collagers do when they are creating their cards? Do you avoid other's art uniformly? Or maybe limit the use of an image to a small piece of it in a greater construction?
    I use images that are copyright free (like from Project Gutenberg), or with permission of the creator (like an ebay listing with a stated use policy).

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by torqueNUT View Post
    In answer to your question, SunTrade, here's AN answer to your question presented by Stephen McCranie. Stephen has some interesting ideas about sustainable creativity.

http://doodlealley.com/2012/11/21/pr...-make-perfect/

Hopefully you'll find it useful

McCranie quotes Picasso - something about great artists stealing. I guess that's spoilers!
    That is an awesome link!, thank you! I skimmed through the thread and missed it!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Check Out Paintmyphoto.com

This site is where copyright-free photos and artwork are uploaded by the artist/photographer to allow other artists to make derivative paintings/drawings without any concern about copyright. There is a wealth of images, and the rules are simple and clear.

Lindsay Weirich, The Frugal Crafter on You-Tube, uses this site in many of her tutorials, and recommends it highly. I recently joined, and am very happy with ti.
    Beauty and creativity are breath to my soul.

Amaranth is offline Have to crawl before you walk!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    So.. I use a lot of reference images found through pinterest for my drawings. My drawings never look like a copy of the original because, let's face it, I'm just not that good, and my style isn't realistic. And most times I use two to three images to create a composition. Is this still problematic?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I know everyone has an opinion on this. But I asked a lawyer in the past Amaranth, and I will state again what he said to me: that can you draw from any reference, as long as you are not photocopying the work, making prints of yours and distribute them, or enriching in any way. If you are using a reference from anything for personal use, and you are not making money from it. Is ok.

At least that is how I understand it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that this thread needs to be bumped up again. Lately, I have noticed several images in the AFA gallery that use print offs of other non-AFA artist's work (that I have seen posted on Pinterest and Etsy) as the main focal image.

Other artists put their work on Etsy to sell. In my mind, printing their images off and using them as a main focal image in your own work, even for trade only, doesn't seem "fair." I guess what I am saying is that clipping images from old magazines or fliers to use in collage or buying stickers from an artist and using them to make a card is one thing, but actually printing off someone else's art that they sell to make a living seems worse (even if the law doesn't make that differentiation).

I guess that this is a grey area...I personally use postage stamps, bits of wrapping paper, and magazine clippings in my collages often, which probably is also a violation of copyright. In fact, I have a Star Wars collage in my gallery right now that is probably not okay. I am not trying to be the copyright police, and am probably being the pot calling the kettle black here, I know. My main concern I guess is that practicing and small business artists put their images online so they can hopefully make some sales, and it doesn't seem right that some people on this site are printing off those artists' work, slightly altering them, and then trading them away for free. JMHO.
    Last edited by smallgirl; 02-15-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would postage stamps be a violation of copyright laws?

Art101 is offline You can get anything you want at Alice's Resturant
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    For non-commercial use, why would using a computer-printed image that was originally by created by someone else be any different than using an image from a magazine clipping?
    Last edited by Art101; 02-16-2016 at 04:19 AM.
    I saw you in my dreams ~ We were walking hand in hand

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SunTrade View Post
    Why would postage stamps be a violation of copyright laws?
    I don't know if it is or not...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Art101 View Post
    For non-commercial use, why would using a computer-printed image that was originally by created by someone else be any different than using an image from a magazine clipping?
    Because presumably someone at some point bought the magazine, whereas what I have seen in our gallery are images printed from other artists' etsy sites, where they are trying to sell their work. I am not saying this is legal or illegal, just that it seems less fair to the small business artist who is trying to sell their work, versus the publishing company that at least made money off of selling their magazine.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Art101 View Post
    In my initial comment, I was trying to differentiate between images taken from a place where the original artist is trying to sell them and images just placed somewhere, like the internet or a magazine.

Like, if someone where to print an image they found on the AFA site in another person's gallery to make a new ATC (which has happened), I would imagine the original artist would be unhappy unless they gave permission. And most people on this site wouldn't probably do that. So, I don't see why we should treat artists who post their work on other sites, like Etsy and Pinterest, differently. The examples I have seen in the AFA gallery that have done this gave no credit to the original Etsy artist, even though I recognize her work.
    Last edited by smallgirl; 02-16-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    How to tell what is original? So many images show up over and over. To my mind if it is copyright free then go ahead and use it. If it is a drawing, photograph, magazine illustration etc that carries copyright, just leave it alone. There are plenty of images available to use.
    I know some of mine were copied, easy to recognise and not altered in any way. I also wish that people would not repost onto other sites. If I want my stuff on other sites I am quite capable of doing that.
    I doubt we will ever stop it and the golden rule is not to post anything on the internet because someone will always feel they can 'help themselves'.

Art101 is offline You can get anything you want at Alice's Resturant
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smallgirl View Post
    Because presumably someone at some point bought the magazine, whereas what I have seen in our gallery are images printed from other artists' etsy sites, where they are trying to sell their work. I am not saying this is legal or illegal, just that it seems less fair to the small business artist who is trying to sell their work, versus the publishing company that at least made money off of selling their magazine.
    There is a good possibility that the originator of the image that is printed in a magazine has been paid for it, such as the photographer that has been paid for his photo, or the photo journalist that is on a payroll, or the artist that created the image for the advertisement. Images that appear in a magazine don't just magically appear at the doorstep of the magazine publisher..... some has to create that image. How is that different than an etsy artist who is in the process of selling their image?

I'm wondering if it is breaking copy write protection to use another person's artwork (AKA image) for non-authorized commercial purposes ... No matter if the original artwork has already been sold (think magazine) or not (think etsy). If it is wrong for one, isn't it wrong for other too?
    I saw you in my dreams ~ We were walking hand in hand

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Beak View Post
    In reality, there is no way it can be enforced unless it is an especially egregious violation - and then we're talking major artwork, not some glued up ATC. The law is subjective and can only be proven in a court of law.
    Just because you won't get caught does not make it ok to use someone else's creations as your own. However big or small, famous or not famous, taking without asking, or taking without being given permission by the original creator is stealing. If your criteria is that you are not benefiting from it, you actually are benefiting if you trade. The traded item you receive is your payment. The recognition you receive for a pretty piece of art is also a psychological benefit. Where as the person having their art stolen is hurt psycologically. Right and wrong is not always defined by money and whether there is a law written well enough to get caught.
    Now hosting NOVEMBER Canvas Board Mail Art Trade, and OCTOBER Canvas Board Mail Art Trade.
    Coming mid November (soon, real soon): postage stamp extending the scene III

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    A photo in a magazine is still a copyrighted image and using it without permission, even as a reference image, is technically copyright violation. That is one of the reasons that sites like Paint My Photo are such a great resource.
    Now hosting NOVEMBER Canvas Board Mail Art Trade, and OCTOBER Canvas Board Mail Art Trade.
    Coming mid November (soon, real soon): postage stamp extending the scene III

Kynara is offline Heavily caffinated for the safety of others
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nightowl_too View Post
    That is one of the reasons that sites like Paint My Photo are such a great resource.
    Love that site! I've been uploading some of my pictures there as well as finding some great photos!