Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL Backwards to Groundhog Day ATART athon (Jan31-Feb2,2014)

Miss M is offline Stay Safe, Stay Healthy and May You Have Abundant TP!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

OFFICIAL Backwards to Groundhog Day ATART athon (Jan31-Feb2,2014)

Welcome to the Official Backwards to Groundhog Day ATART athon!
    Hosted by your very own Imperial Velcrodog and Her Mighty and Exalted Highness, Empress, Goddess of Dune, MariaP!
    (What? We like playing dress up! Feel free to give yourselves titles too....or if you are brave, you can always ask the Imperial Velcrodoggie for one! Where do you think I got mine?! )

Make sure you read the first three posts! I couldn't fit all the details into one post!

Weíre going to do something wild and wacky, and maybe a little crazy! We want everyone to start and finish the athon AT THE SAME TIME! Yes, so we are running the athon on GMT!

Everyone will start on January 31, 2014 12:00AM GMT, and weíll all finish on February 2, 2014 11:59PM GMT!

So hereís a list of some major cities around the world, and what the equivalent to Jan 31 12:00 AM GMT is!

Wellington (New Zealand) Friday, January 31, 2014 at 1 PM
    Hobart (Australia - Tasmania) Friday, January 31, 2014 at 11 AM
    Sydney (Australia - New South Wales) Friday, January 31, 2014 at 11AM
    Balikpapan (Indonesia - East Kalimantan) Friday, January 31, 2014 at 8AM
    Singapore (Singapore) Friday, January 31, 2014 at 8AM
    Helsinki (Finland) Friday, January 31, 2014 at 2AM
    Amsterdam (Netherlands) Friday, January 31, 2014 at 1AM
    Berlin (Germany - Berlin) Friday, January 31, 2014 at 1AM
    Brussels (Belgium) Friday, January 31, 2014 at 1AM
    London (United Kingdom - England) Friday, January 31, 2014 at 12AM
    Toronto (Canada - Ontario) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 7 PM
    Vancouver (Canada - British Columbia) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 4 PM
    Seattle (U.S.A. - Washington) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 4 PM
    Phoenix (U.S.A. - Arizona) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 5 PM
    Denver (U.S.A. - Colorado) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 5 PM
    Chicago (U.S.A. - Illinois) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 6 PM
    Minneapolis (U.S.A. - Minnesota) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 6 PM
    Milwaukee (U.S.A. - Wisconsin) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 6 PM
    Chicago (U.S.A. - Illinois) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 6 PM
    Newark (U.S.A. - New Jersey) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 7 PM
    Indianapolis (U.S.A. - Indiana) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 7 PM
    Kansas City (U.S.A. - Missouri) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 6 PM
    Nashville (U.S.A. - Tennessee) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 6 PM
    Bismarck (U.S.A. - North Dakota) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 6 PM
    Raleigh (U.S.A. - North Carolina) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 7 PM
    Philadelphia (U.S.A. - Pennsylvania) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 7 PM
    Detroit (U.S.A. - Michigan) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 7 PM
    Richmond (U.S.A. - Virginia) Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 7 PM

If Iíve missed your city, you can always use this website to convert GMT time to your own!
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Official Backwards to Groundhog Day ATART Athon Program
    During this athon we will make and trade ATCs, APCs, chunky pages, 4x6ís, inchies, twinchies, charms, jewelry, art dolls, skinny pages, journal pages, tags, rolos, arches, post cards... or whatever your heart desires! All mediums and styles are welcome!

Day 1 Program: Backwards Day! Inspire your Heart with Art Day! Chinese New Year!

We will do the unheard of, the unthinkable, and the improbable! We WILL celebrate all three, in one day, on this thread!

Inspire your Heart ...well art is the point, ainít it?...check!

Backwards....well, here are some suggestions...check!
    - Wake up on the right side of the bed
    - Make upside down art
    - Post your art upside down (then it may actually be right side up...or not!)
    - Have breakfast for dinner, and dinner for breakfast!
    - Address people by their last names
    And there are many more helpful suggestions if you just search google for ďHow to Celebrate Backwards DayĒ

Chinese New Year ...Fortune-Cookie Bar!...check!
    What is a Fortune-Cookie Bar, you ask? Well, let me tell you! Offer up a card in trade to our cookie-maker (aka Imperial Velcrodog...a doggie of many talents!) for you very own Fortune-Cookie ATC! Please make sure you can "pay" for your fortune-cookie when you order, as we don't want the triads coming after you to collect!

Day 2 Program: Arting Naked Day!
    That's right, art naked! (Technically Feb 1 is "Working Naked Day" but we are taking artistic license!)

Velcrodog
    will be visiting local nudist colonies and reporting back to us! She will visit
    Lake Como, Paradise Lakes, Riverboat, Calliente and educate us all on the art of nude bowling!

Remember, you can still produce whatever art you like, you donít have to always stick with the daily theme!

However, if you do wish to art nude people (and/or nude body parts), please be aware of the forumís policies about nudity, artwork and open forums. Please make sure your art conforms to it. We donít want to give the admins extra work! http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/faq....rvice#faq_nude

Cash Bar!
    Offer up a card in trade to our bartender, for a custom HD drink ATC! If you canít pay" for your drink when you order, this guy http://i38.tinypic.com/14iljdi.jpg might be showing up at your door to collect! Nobody wants that! Well, except maybe for the Aussies, they were actually looking forward to Duchess Marilouís first batch of Chippendales...

Day 3 Program: Groundhog Day! (unless of course you are in Alaska, then Happy Marmot Day!) AND ARTING NAKED DAY EXTENDED!! (Itís the day that keeps repeating itself! Mwahahahaha....now we have you...youíll never be free of this athon!)

So how Groundhog Day works, for those that aren't familiar, when the groundhog comes out of his hole, if he doesnít see his shadow we have early spring. If the does see his shadow (and is frightened back into his hole) we have 6 more weeks of winter!

Itís the Battle of the Groundhogs! Punxsutawney Phil vs Wiarton Willie! Which groundhog will predict correctly? Will they both predict the same outcome? We will keep you updated!
    http://www.groundhog.org/
    http://www.visitwiarton.ca/profile/w...-festival/959/

Donít forget to nab some Groundhog Snarkies as they only come out once a year!
    Last edited by Miss M; 02-01-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Update Day 2 Program after announcment in post #364
    Come on over and check out the HD/HP Round Robin Group!
    instagram :
    My available atcs
    You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. - Maya Angelou

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Challenge Prize

Challenge Prize
    At the end of the athon, one lucky winner will receive this commemorative post card!

This is a depiction of Dune in winter. The Empress <ahem> and the Imperial Dog are hunting for groundhogs. In the background you see the Sacred Spring Tree on the Isle of Spring...a place winter never touches! And of course they have a huge celebration for Chinese New Year! She always rides her trusted horse backwards..and well, yes, in the nude! (except for the headdress, that she never takes off...ever)

How do you win this prize, you ask? Very simple! For every challenge you complete (challenges are listed below), will you get your name placed in a hat (actually it will probably be a bowl), and at the end we will draw from all the names and award the prize! So you have up to 3 chances to win!

Challenges are optional, you are free to post whatever art you wish, but to enter the draw you need to complete at least one piece of art that satisfies a challenge theme.

Day 1 Challenge:
    Post art in honour of the Chinese New Year! It can be anything related to Chinese New Year and/or the Year of the Horse! Please remember to identify your challenge entry so we donít accidentally miss it.

Day 2 Challenge:
    Post art that celebrates Arting Naked Day! Now, if you are thinking your only option is to draw nude people, you ainít using your creativity!

However, if you do wish to art nude people (and/or nude body parts), please be aware of the forumís policies about nudity, artwork and open forums. Please make sure your art conforms to it. We donít want to give the admins extra work! http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/faq....rvice#faq_nude
    Remember to identify your challenge entry so we donít accidentally miss it.

Day 3 Challenge: Since ARTING NAKED DAY has been extended, Day 2 challenge also applies to Day 3! (so you have a choice of either)
    Post art depicting groundhogs or Groundhog Day festivities! Please remember to identify your challenge entry so we donít accidentally miss it.
    Last edited by Miss M; 02-01-2014 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Updated Day 2 Challenge
    instagram :
    My available atcs
    You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. - Maya Angelou

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO PLAY IN THE ATHON

What is an ATART athon?
    Itís an All-Types-of-ART marathon open to everyone and every kind of level and types of art! You create, create, create...and create some more, as much or as little art as your heart desires. This thread is our art room where we share our creations with other and chat the hours away! And of course, trade!

How it works:
    When the athon officially starts, you start creating your art. You can pre-prepare backgrounds and cut things out in advance of the start time, however, you put it all together and finish the art during the athon period. When you are ready to share your fabulous pieces of art, you will upload them to your athon gallery.

Do you have to use your athon gallery? No, but it makes it much easier for others to see what you have to trade when they can just look through your gallery!

How to post your art to the thread:
    To link a picture from your athon gallery into a post:
    Using Mozilla and Chrome http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/show...079#post632079
    Using Internet Explorer http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/show...45&postcount=8

As an attachment (i.e. a file from your computer):
    http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/show...63&postcount=2

From a flickr account:
    In your post, click on the link that has the little "globe", and add the address of your Flickr page

Want to compliment an artist?
    And you willÖ remember you can click the You Rock button and leave it there. In fact, feel free to give out You Rock (with fun and wonderful comments) indiscriminately, every opportunity you get! See, because itís the rep others give to you, where you acquire cool titles like ďATC Rock StarĒ and ďGrand PoobahĒ! Yes, you too can be a Grand Poobah!

How to ask for a trade:

When you find a piece of art you would like to trade for, please SEND A PERSONAL MESSAGE (PM) to that person asking for a trade. Please DO NOT post requests for trades to the thread. It can get way too confusing.

When you make a trade:

Go back to your picture in your gallery, and youíre going to want to flip it into the appropriate ATC/Mail Art ďTradedĒ gallery. http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/faq....faq_move_image
    This makes it easier for everyone to know what you still have left to trade!

Please be sure to send to your trade partner within two weeks of the end of the athon. If youíre running late, communicate! When you receive your trade, you will leave your trade partner an iTrader point for the trade. One iTrader point per trade, regardless of how many cards came in the envelope. REMEMBER TO PUT YOUR USERNAME ON THE BACK OF YOUR CARDS. You can't get an iTrader if your trading partner doesn't know who you are.

At the end of the athon:
    And cards that you still have left in your athon gallery should be either deleted, or moved to your ATCs/Mail Art for Trade gallery. Itís just a nice little housekeeping detail, so that the next athon has a clean gallery to play in.

NEW TO ATHONS? If you have any questions at all, feel free to PM the hostesses or post your questions to the thread. Somebody is bound to have an answer for you!

TIPS & TRICKS

1) Number your pieces of art. Itís much easier to track and trade by number.
    2) Some players use their comment fields to track the trade. They write in ďTraded to <username>Ē
    3) Some players use a spread sheet to help track their trades, something like this:

4) You control how many trades you want by controlling the number of cards you post. If you have trading limitations or requirements (e.g. trade within US only) itís better to be upfront about that when you post your art, so there are no misunderstandings. Also be aware some players prefer to trade multiples. One option is you may wish to add the info to your signature for the course of the athon.
    Last edited by Miss M; 01-27-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    instagram :
    My available atcs

Mouseit is offline Valuing the Past - Creating the future!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Omg finally meeeeeeee first....whoohoooo
    I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse. ~ Walt Disney

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Mousie, you are first....
    instagram :
    My available atcs

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hehehe...looks like I'm going to be snowed in again. Here's hoping I can do all of the challenges for a chance of that A-FREAKING-MAZING postcard!
    Slowly coming back after 2 year hiatus

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Twin-kie, you found us!
    instagram :
    My available atcs

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of Course!
    Slowly coming back after 2 year hiatus

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fun begins.....lol
    I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse. ~ Walt Disney

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me me me me me!!!!! Please please please please please!!!! Oh and Maria....I SOOOOO want a shot at your awesome card!!

jonquil is offline the Snarky Queen is Back!!!!!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    that post card is awesome!!!! - off to think of some ideas
    5000 Poppies Project - PM me

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love... and then we return home." Australian Aboriginal Proverb

velcrodog is offline Suspended User Suspended Member
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG!!!! It's almost here!!!!!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh WOW Maria, now that I know what a Groundhog is I really really want him.......off to organise my supplies for the athon so I can do the challenges and other cards as well. Do you make pets of Groundhogs or feed them when they pop up in your garden or are they wild???

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    nope, you don't have to feed them as they will devour your entire garden! They are a rodent and a pest to most people, groundhogs aka woodchucks, are not a gardeners friend!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a wonderful card.
    Chinese New Year, not well known over here, and horses not my dada.
    Wonder what the surprise challenge will be. The empress does not like to be forced into a challenge she does it her way, naked or not.
    Ducky I LOVE your card. Wonderful!
    I can not get my hands 100% clean, full of ink from my backgrounds. Just love to play with the Dylusion inks, such great colours. Off to the hairdresser first, and then back home...to art.
    Last edited by marilou; 01-28-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    "Creativity is intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
    My APC list

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh new hairstyles now for the athon how cute.

ARE WE READY.......

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    ........YES WE ARE!
    "Creativity is intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
    My APC list

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesomesauce! We are very much looking forward to letting the games begin too!
    instagram :
    My available atcs

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    AND me having to fly on Friday........I miss the first day!!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    check it out again Mouseit... Your first day is on Friday, but NOT till what mid-day.... what time is your flight? You can art on the flight like I did!!!!!