Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: April Fool's Day Inchie Athon and ATART

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

April Fool's Day Inchie Athon and ATART

April Fool's Day Inchie Athon and ATART Official Thread

SO HAPPY YOU CAME TO PLAY!

Start time (in AUCKLAND, NZ time zone - GMT+12) 12:01 am (midnight) on Tuesday morning April 1, 2014, and end time (in Hawaii's time zone - GMT -8) 11:59 pm (midnight) Monday April 7, 2014.

Your Hosts for this weekend are donnacr and Jean

This week we will create:
    1a) INCHIES 1"X1” Mail Art. In any medium: collaging, sewing, painting, drawing, digital altering, photographs, metal work, beading, sculpting, using postage stamps, creating Found Poetry... you name it but all in a 1” space!
    1b) MOOS 1" X 2 3/4" Mail art. In any medium as above.

1c) INCHIE/MOO HOUSES
    NEW TO INCHIE OR MOO HOUSES?
    Inchie House:
    *The base of each is one inchie (1x1)
    *For the roof, use an inchie, cut in half on the diagonal
    * Overlap the inchie behind the roof until the top corners of the inchie almost touch the diagonal edges of the roof (a gluestick works fine for adhering). I found it helpful to glue my roof to the inchie first, and then decorate so the design doesn't get covered in the overlap.
    * Final height is about 1 and 1/2 inch from base to top of roof.

Moo houses use inchie house rooftops (an inchie cut on the diag)

Inchie houses have a base 1x1 inch, or 2.5 cm square.
    Moo houses have a base that is 1x2.75 inches or 2.5x7 cm. Thank you, Artistically, for the metric measures!
    Jean's how-to article for Inchie/moo houses

1d) INCHIE BOOKS there are a variety of ways to make these.
    A) make 6 Inchies, stick them back to back (giving you 3 double thickness Inchies), then punch holes either in the side or the top and join them with split pins some of Kira Nichols Inchie books
    B) make 6 Inchies, cut a piece of thick paper or thin card 9" x1.5" and crease at 1.5" intervals (giving you 6 sections). stick an Inchie in the centre of each section, then fold like an accordion Inchie accordion books without covers
    C) for a slightly fancier finish to B), make 2x 2" square 'covers' and stick on the front and back of your accordion Inchie accordion book with covers

1e) TWINCHIES, and any other 'forgotten' size or shape - circle Inchies or Twinchies, etc.

2) Post your Awesome Creations here in the thread and to the AThon Gallery to share with the group.

3) Trade art (if you want to) or just share your creations in a post. (just a general fyi, typically Inchies are traded in groups of 4 or 6 but you can trade Inchies anyway that you agree upon with the other party).

4) Chat (if you can only stop in to admire the art and chat sometimes, that’s absolutely okay!)

5) Have awesome, ridiculous amounts of FUN!

OPTIONAL CHALLENGES/THEMES FOR THE WEEK:
    Tuesday: show jesters OR make something that is a joke - in all the wrong colours, bits of animals/things joined together that shouldn't be, etc
    Wednesday: build your series around flora (plants) OR fauna (animals) OR fish/ marine creatures
    Thursday: use an unusual medium eg tea/ coffee OR use tea/ coffee as your theme
    Friday: build each Inchie/Moo on 1 word or letter OR make a series based on 1 colour
    Saturday: faces OR hearts
    Sunday: whimsical houses OR Inchie/Moo houses
    Monday: silhouettes on bright backgrounds OR April showers - rain, umbrellas, clouds, etc

Remember this weekend is open to EVERYONE. You do not have to sign up.
    Challenges and themes are ENTIRELY optional. Create whatever is speaking to you today.

What is an Inchie (Please be careful with your sizing if you don't have a 1" square Punch)
    Inchies are collectible 1 x 1 inches of art in any media from traditional to altered art collage to fabric to polymer clay and so on.

Just a quick note. Typically inchies are traded in groups of 4 or 6 but you are free to make agreed upon trades for any number of inchies as long as both parties are happy.

After you trade your Inchies they should be moved from the Athon gallery to Traded Mail Art (So only available Athon cards are in the Athon gallery.)

Here's the "fine print"

What IS an ART-A-THON?
    It’s a marathon create-your-favourite-art week.
    It’s kind of like we were all together for the week to play with our art supplies and this thread is our play room.

HOW IT WORKS:
    Start creating art at the designated time, then upload your lovely creations to your gallery and post to the thread. Continue throughout the week. Trading and chatting ensues. At 11:59 on Monday April 7 (Hawaii time zone) you’re done creating art… however you may continue to chat and trade as long as you like.

HOW TO ASK FOR A TRADE: - When you find a piece of art you must have, please SEND A PERSONAL MESSAGE (pm) to that person asking for a trade. Please DO NOT post requests for trades to the thread. It can get way too confusing and they may be missed.

Note: If you do make a trade, please be sure to mail it to your trade partner within two weeks. If you’re running late, communicate!

WANT TO COMPLIMENT AN ARTIST: And you will… remember you can click the You Rock button and leave it there.

HOW TO POST YOUR ART TO THE THREAD:
    From your atcsforall.com gallery:
    It’s easiest to have two windows open. I can create another "tab" and get to my gallery in one and be in my post reply box in the other.
    Internet Explorer
    1 Go to the main page of your gallery & right click on the picture you wish to post - this brings up a menu which has “properties” at the bottom.
    2) Right click on “properties”, and it will show you "Address (URL)"Highlight the address/url and copy (Ctrl C).
    Then follow steps 3 - 5 below
    Note: Your picture will come up as large. Most folks use small or medium in the thread.

Mozella Firefox and Mac Safari (most versions)
    1) Go to the main page of your gallery & right click on the picture you wish to post - this brings up a menu that includes “Copy Image Location” (which is about 2/3 down the list for me)
    2) Click on the “Copy Image Location”
    Then follow steps 3 - 5

3) Go to your post in the thread and click on the "insert image" button (looks like a postcard)
    4) Paste the address (right click, click paste or Ctrl P) into the window that pops up and hit OK - that puts the code into your post for your picture to show up; (you paste the address from the properties box over the http thingy that shows when you open the "insert image" box)
    5) Remember that images from the gallery are small, medium or large. Most folks use small or medium in the thread. Find the word small, medium or large (or letters s m l) in the address and change it to size you want.

[IMG]http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/400/small/1_Maygar_Posta-traded.jpg [/IMG

(leaving the last bracket off the above so you can see how the address will look)

From your computer:
    1. Click POST REPLY at the bottom of the messages screen. Above the message box, click the paperclip next to the smiley face. Then upload as usual. This will upload your picture as a thumbnail.
    2. If you go into the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the messages screen, click GO ADVANCED and you will get the paperclip above the message box.

NEW TO A-THONS?
    If you have any questions at all, feel free to pm your hosts, or post your questions to the thread. We have a lot of experienced art-a-thoners who are more than willing to help those of you new to this craziness.
    Last edited by Donnacr; 03-31-2014 at 01:48 AM.
    Now hosting:Pink ribbon celebration Due: October 30, BLACK versus white Due: November 6 coming up: Halloween/Autumn Athon Oct 30 to Nov 3

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can find your GMT time at the very bottom of every page. Mine, in Indonesia, is GMT+8.
    This means that start time is 4 hours AHEAD of my midnight so I can start at 8.01pm local time on Monday (today).
    I will definitely be awake then so I will do a countdown for everyone to start.

LET THE FUN BEGIN!!
    Now hosting:Pink ribbon celebration Due: October 30, BLACK versus white Due: November 6 coming up: Halloween/Autumn Athon Oct 30 to Nov 3

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its been a long long time since i last crafted here, hope that i don't scare the natives ! Might be exciting posting my pics as the last time i tried my camera took too high a quality and i just couldn't work out how to downsize! Now i am using an ipad so its all different again!
    So stand back this could get nasty!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're ready. . . and the rest of us computer challenged people will be ever willing to 'assist' you in your plight.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnacr View Post
    You can find your GMT time at the very bottom of every page. Mine, in Indonesia, is GMT+8.
    This means that start time is 4 hours AHEAD of my midnight so I can start at 8.01pm local time on Monday (today).
    I will definitely be awake then so I will do a countdown for everyone to start.

LET THE FUN BEGIN!!
    HUH? LOL

Let's see if I can make heads or tails of what that means to me....

Mine says GST -7. Does that mean @ 7:00AM on the 1st of April is when I can start? Sorry, but it is all greek to me! LOL

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tamrantula - the easy answer is. . . you start in 15 minutes!!

rhonda615 - there is no need to make a certain number of Inchies either for each challenge OR each day. You make what your Muse tells you to - put them in your Athon Gallery (if you have any trouble with this just ask) and wait for people to trade with you.

If your Muse only wants to make bigger pieces of work, don't worry about it! We will still be happy to see what you have made and probably trade for it.
    The daily challenges are simply to get your creative juices flowing - suggestions ONLY, not requirements.

I will return shortly, hopefully with something to trade. 12 minutes to go!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    does that mean we can go now??? I wanna do some inchies!
    I have been out for several years with health issues but I want to get my art mojo back and what better place to start!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am I the first? I made two inchie ornaments from a piece of an art quilt
    I love trading! PM me ........ My blog: mayaquilt.blogspot.com

Playing in the European Blind ATC swap, the PIF Blind Chunkies swap , the PIF Blind ATC's swap and the MMH Chunky Page PIF

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those are gorgeous, mayaquilt.

I'm getting ready to begin. My goal is that I'm going to use that stuff that has been hanging around in those piles of art odds and ends and unfinished projects. I'm trying not to buy to many art supplies this year. That is making my hubby a happy guy.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda615 View Post
    Soooooo interested in joining this, but as a Newbie, I either have to run to the store & pray that I find a 1" square punch, measure them out & cut, or have an order of pre-sized inchies Fed-Ex'd to me ASAP!! Lol.....let's see what I can figure out!!
    Hi Rhonda, I am no expert, but I make inchies with my fiskars "slide" cutter (I can't remember it's real name, lol). I use either the regular paper I'd use to cut ATCs (watercolor, bristol) or cereal boxes, etc. Hope that helps!

Jean is offline Artist in the Lucy Ricardo tradition
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    *adjusting hat* I'm here, I'm here! Got a few things to do and then I'm arting it up!
    One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised - Chinua Achebe
    Etsy Watercolor PIF thread My Website

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sort of here. Lurking while I finish up my last few atcs I owe people for trades. My inchie box is nearby, taunting me though.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be "gettin' inchy wit it" shortly! woo hoo!!!
    Snowman hugs and Winter wishes

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are my first sets. I thought that I would see what I could do for Jokers so I looked at every set of cards that we own, scanned the various Jokers and resized them to make Inchies and Twinchies. The Inchies will trade as you see them, the Twinchies can be mixed and matched
    #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    6 handdrawn inchies, colored with inktense pencils. The background is mixed media

Playing in the European Blind ATC swap, the PIF Blind Chunkies swap , the PIF Blind ATC's swap and the MMH Chunky Page PIF

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    And 4 bird collage inchies

V do you recognize the birds images?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    mayaquilt - you are on fire! I love what you are making - sending a PM for your birds.
    Dehh68 - those tangled Inchies are beautiful - have to see if I can make some to trade.

I'm off to bed now (before I turn into a pumpkin ) - can't wait to see what everyone has made while I sleep. Goodnight.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful inchies to start the marathon!

I had hoped to play but this week has taken an unexpected turn. Hopefully I can still play a little but I will definitely be lurking.

jaw is offline Be inspiring ... be kind ...
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay... sitting in HHC's studio, playing with some art supplies .... we'll see if I can get something completed!!
    Be Kind. Just. Be. Kind.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, you guys are rocking it already!

I'm going to get something done, yes I am! Of course, having it a week long gives me time.

"If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough."
    Instagram...Facebook...Etsy Shop...Vintage Etsy...