Don't break a USA Federal Law....

This very much applies in Canada under the Canada Post Corporation Act.

Evading payment of postage

55. Every person commits an offence who, for the purpose of evading payment of postage,

• (a) encloses a letter or any writing intended to serve the purpose of a letter in mail not paid at the rate of postage for letters;
  • (b) uses in payment of postage any previously used postage stamp; or
  • (c) affixes on mailable matter anything suggesting that
    • (i) the mailable matter is entitled to be transmitted by post free of postage or at a lower rate of postage than that otherwise applicable thereto, or
    • (ii) the postage or any part thereof has been paid or ought to be paid by or charged to any other person.

• 1980-81-82-83, c. 54, s. 49.

unfortunately yes

this answer came from my postmaster but I've also seen it on usps's website... somewhere. (that place isn't easy to find anything haha)

I was worried for a bit. Haha. I've accidentally wrote the address incorrectly and taken the stamp off to put on a new envie but that's not what you meant by reusing a stamp so I'm good. lol

the post office would consider that re-using. because there's no way to prove you didn't take it of an envelope that's already been through the mail.

If you misaddress an envelope and you have already put on the postage, cover the misaddress with a properly addressed label and tape over it (just the label, not the stamps) so it does not fall off. That is a tip that Will, the post office guy I chat with when I mail my ATCs gave me. In Canada, even if the stamp was put on a mistake it is considered reusing if you peel it off and stick on a new envelope.

Back
Top Bottom