The Dude abides
Staff member
Super Mod
Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Swap Due Date Aug 23, 2014
No sign up deadline
Withdrawal deadline: none, but please communicate!
Number of Cards ~ 3 for 3
Number of Participants – 15
Mixed media incorporating Card Catalogs

Hey, so do you remember when you used the card catalog to search for books in the library? If not, no worries - I've included an image of a card catalog below.

Well, these cards are pretty sturdy, and I have a bunch of them. This swap is a chance to make mixed media ATCs with old card catalogs. I tried to create three different styles, but I'm interested in seeing how other people use them. You can collage, tear, use the card as a base, etc. It just has to have a recognizable aspect that it came from a card catalog. Remember though, if you use it as a base or whatever you do it has to be ATC sized.

While it would be cool if your card is somehow based off the cards you get, this is not required. Just make sure you can tell it came from a card catalog.

So how do you get those lovely card catalogs? If you sign up to play, I'll need you to PM me your address. I'll send you 6 cards, you choose the 3 you want to do. The other three you can do with as you wish. I've tried to choose cards that have a visual element to them. Keep in mind these come from an academic library, so unfortunately no cards for juvenile books.

Swap Requirements ~
* All cards must use the card catalog in the art.
* All cards should be standard 3.5” x 2.5”
* This swap is 3 for 3 only. An extra card for the host is welcome, but completely optional.
* Make sure cards are well-glued and sealed.
* Use only light embellishments and make sure your cards fit in plastic sleeves.

Mailing Information ~
* Include username, real name, your state/country and the swap name on the back of all cards - and put username and swap name on all envelopes sent.
* US Participants – Please include a clearly written SASE. An extra stamp would also be nice (for initially sending the cards), but the extra stamp is optional.
* International Participants - Please send a clearly-addressed envelope or mailing label and I will cover postage.

Late cards past a day or so will be returned.

When you receive your returns, please leave I-Trader for your swap host and rep points for the artists of the cards you receive. People like to know where their little artworks find home.

Quick key- * means I've mailed out the cards. If your name is green, you've let me know that you received the cards you will use to make atcs. If your name is in purple, I've received your finished atcs. And if your name is red, you've received your swap cards.

Players:
1. Betsyg*
2. drop
3. Spineofafish*
4. Sarnie*
5. Semga*
6. GwennieJo*
7. Ferretgirl*
8. Inkyfingers*
9. JenURebel*
10.Nancy*
11.Spiderjessi*
12.Elena*
13. HowlettC*
14. Miss Iowa*
15. CastleQueen5*

For next time...
1. SouthernBellPepper
2. Mrubyjean
3. Catladybj
4. Art Newbie Alessandra
5. RachelMarie
6. Rachel
7. Beverley

1_atccardexample__800x479_.jpg

1_treesatc.jpg

1_cheatc__800x563_.jpg

1_atcsun__800x569_.jpg

Last edited:
This is brilliant! I will lurk at the moment so i do not over-commit. Great motivation to keep up the pace! Any titles relating to the beach or ocean by any chance?

Great idea! I used to work in the basement of a library where all the discarded books were placed before they were disposed of; it had an awesome odor! I'll p.m. you with my address and reimburse you for the postage. Please count me in!

Last edited:
Alright- I've got Betsyg, Lafaver55(who pm'd me), and spineofafish signed up.

Artsteph - good question! I found a couple. Glimpses of 3 coasts and from sea to sea. I've got a numbe of cards on prohibition, travelers, women, and I think cities in general. And then lots of random stuff. Lurk away, and if you have time come back and join this merry ole swap

I am loving this idea - I remember the card catalogues very well as I was a student way before computers unfortunately !

May I join please - will PM you my address for cards !

Ferretgirl - Good point. The images were too small. I've rescanned. Prior to computers, if you wanted to find a book at the library you had to search the card catalog. The first example is an unaltered title card. You would then find the call number in the upper left hand corner and then go to that location in the library to fetch the book.

Sarnie & Semga - you are both in!

Collette - don't you understand what Library Cards are ?

Just in case : in the old days if you needed to find a Library Book you had to search through a huge bank of little index cards - usually there were two lots one for authors and one for book titles.
There is a scene in 'Breakfast at Tiffanys' were they search for Paul's name in the Authors cards in the Library !
Now it would take two seconds via google !!!

I think the idea is to make art on the cards using the subject matter or print shape etc on the card - rather like Elena's paint chip swap idea.

Oh, okay. I don't remember having them at our school but we were not a very high level school. More like a country school=) I'd like to give this a try, too. I will pm you my addy info, pancake....

One last thing - I've mailed out the first group of cards. If you will let me know on the thread or via a PM when you get the cards to make your atcs, that would be great.

And GwennieJo I have you added too.

Back
Top Bottom