Jean

Artist in the Lucy Ricardo tradition
Media
Swap Due Date - September 30
Signup/withdraw date - September 1
Number of Cards - 3 for 3
Number of participants - 30
Media - open but NOTE RESTRICTIONS BELOW
Withdraw by posting to the thread only! PM withdrawals not accepted.

Theme: Mama Africa
AFRICA! The very word stirs the blood, doesn’t it? Magnificent scenery, exotic animals, fascinating cultures...Africa. Darwin taught us that the continent of Africa was the cradle of humanity, and modern science confirms his thoughts again and again. Africa is the birthplace of humans everywhere, making us one family, though we may call many nations home.

In this swap, like the two African swaps I’ve hosted previously, we celebrate the Africa in all its beauty. You may draw African people, landscapes, animals - your choice, as long as it represents YOUR VERY BEST WORK in honor of the continent that birthed humankind: Mama Africa.

Please note this swap celebrates the idea of Africa as birthplace of humanity; modern, political, or other takes on the theme are not appropriate.

What to do, and please read this carefully:
Make three cards for the theme. If you are not sure if your approach is suitable, pm me or post here. The cards must be different. Be creative! You can add pretty papers, draw borders, include words, etc.

Suggestions:
Think of the various tribespeople of Africa and how they lived.
Look at photographs of African animals and scenery.
Think of using printed papers such as maps or African-themed papers as background or border.
For inspiration - but not copying, search the gallery for Africa or check this link.

Media: All accepted with the following guidelines
Embellishments: MUST be flat. The surface of the card must be flat and smooth, without bumpy parts.
If using stickers, pleaase trim or color the white edges so the sticker will ‘sink’ into the background.

Cards:
Must be 2.5 x 3.5 (OR 3.5 x5 card, folded to ATC size-see post 25). Please check measurements.
Must be in penny sleeve.
Send 3 different cards. Host cards are not required but they are always deeply appreciated.

Info on card:
On back, list name, username, card title, Mama Africa III.

Mailing:
DO NOT SEND ENVELOPES. I will provide them.
DO send a large address labelabout 1x2 inches.
PM me for my address when you are ready to mail.
Please put your username on the back of the envelope.
Check cards for correct info on backs.

Please mail your cards early so they arrive on time. US players, it can take 1 week, Canada usually 2 weeks, other countries 3 or more weeks...so plan ahead. I will mail the cards within 2 weeks of swap end date (sooner if all cards arrive early).

Postage:
I will cover the first five non-Canadian participants’ postage. I wish I could pay for everyone’s postage, but I’m on a strict budget. Sorry for the postage increases...
Remember: Do not send an envelope as I will supply those.
Canada residents: Please send a LOOSE Forever or 1.20 stamp or PM me to pay by Paypal.
US residents: My post to mail to you is $1.80. Please send two well-concealed dollars OR PM me to pay by Paypal.
International residents: My post to you is $2.50. Please contact me to pay by Paypal (or send three loose US dollars).

How I swap:
I swap out approximate qualities (as opposed to 'quality'). That means that of three cards, I try to match two to each swapper as far as I am able and the third is more random. I've swapped this way a long time and have only gotten one complaint ever.
Note that I try to swap two comparable cards (by amount of detail, evident carefulness in creation, etc.) and one more random.

iTrader
I try to give iTrader promptly, but note it may take a few days.
Please communicate, and that includes participating in the thread now and then so I know you're still swapping with us. Note there is a withdrawal date. Here are our rules re: Neutrals from the AFA FAQ, and I believe it is a host's responsibility to give them where warranted.
Cards were very late and there was very little communication regarding lateness.
The participant did not follow guidelines for swap regarding technique/construction of card or any other aspect of the swap guidelines.
The participant did not send in cards for a regular swap and did not withdraw.
The participant withdrew after the withdrawal date

Players - when you receive your cards for the swap, remember to leave iTrader for the Host (me) and Rep Points for the people who made your cards! Thanks!

Questions? Just post them here or PM me! Let’s celebrate the music, the terrain, the people, the vibrancy of AFRICA!

1. Allegrae - 1st International - received
2, Art Newbie Alessandra - 2nd International - received
3. Lalka - 3rd International - received
4. spineofafish - 4th International - received
5. Craftygirl34 - 5th International- received
6. Hally - received
7. Bishopsmate - received
8. OldsLady1992 - received
9. aginghippychic - received
10. jo.on.the.go - received
11. louisezee - received
12. therapeuticart - received
13. SharonO - received
14. balletbon - received
15. wolfpax3 - received
16. LeeBeth
17. arlie707 - received
18. Sarnie - received
19. JenUrebel - received

Last edited:
Welcome, Alessandra - to the site and the swap! I always suggest players subscribe to the swaps they join, that way when you check into your UserCP, you'll be able to keep up with the progress of swap.

Oh, Hally, of course it is! A lot of members choose to subscribe to a thread and make their cards, then sign up when they're ready to mail (or when it gets close to filling). I do that too, so I don't get stressed, lol.

I enjoy African-style art, but have never tried to make something myself. Maybe it is time to try? Taking a leap of faith.......... sign me up, please! :)

Welcome, spineofafish and lurkers!

I love the Africa theme - it's not only beautiful but an easy theme to work with. Search the gallery (look up Africa) and you'll see the tremendous variety of cards and styles that fit the theme. I hope you'll all be so enthusiastic that you join instantly! ;)

I know! Between those beautiful works of art and Hally's tantalizing word-pictures in her post (#4), I can't wait to get out my watercolors! :D

I have spent many years visiting Nigeria .... would love to portray this country. Would scenes that I remember be ok? such as the food markets, rivers and dancing ....... such dancing in celebration of life!

Could you like to set up an International waiting list? Just in case ....

Thank you

Hally, gotcha! Thanks for joining!

Hi, Christine! Glad to have you aboard! Certainly, scenes you loved would be very appropriate and welcome.

I don't plan on a waiting list. Should one of my five internationals withdraw, I'll just go down the list for the next!

This swap is going to be such fun. The art is always so exciting and evocative...

Back
Top Bottom