Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: #20 - Happy Crafters Moley (Moleskine) Group~Full

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink #20 - Happy Crafters Moley (Moleskine) Group~Full

First Mail Date: November 1, 2014
    Subsequent Mail-by dates: December 1, 2014 - January 1, 2015 - February 1, 2015 -March 1, 2015 - April 1, 2015 - May 1,2015 - June 1, 2015 and July 1, 2015
    Due Back in Hand by: August 1, 2015
    Withdraw terms: NOT ALLOWED - be aware - LONG LASTING COMMITMENT!

WE ARE FULL!! -
    - sorry, no spots left in this swap -

Materials required: One blank Japanese Moleskine accordion style pocket album. Approximate size is 3.5" x 5.5". Available at Amazon.com and at MoleskineUS here. http://www.moleskineus.com/japanesebook.html

AFA says you Must:
    •Be an actively trading AFA member (defined as: positive itrader across 2 swaps in the last 3 months)
    •Have 3+ months in good standing (no neutrals or negative iTraders)
    •Have an iTrader rating of 25+
    •Be willing and able to do your very best work on a strict, inflexible time line, over a long period
    •Be willing and able to complete three (3) journal pages in the themes chosen by each of your nine (9) fellow participants
    •Have the cash resources necessary to ship ten (10) journals around the world using First Class mail with mandatory tracking

It is also mandatory that you share your mailing address, a phone number, and a contact person to the host. This is to be sure no journals go MIA - info will only be shared with your fellow Moley members.

You're responsible for:
    •Choosing and explaining your theme. Each artist will choose their own theme, color scheme/do and don’ts, and special instructions for their own moley’s. You may choose "No theme" if you want participants to "follow their muse."
    •Creating a three (3) page spread in each journal you receive.
    • Include at least your name, username, and date completed on the back of your spread.
    •Shipping to the next artist participant. Use a well padded bubble envelope, sturdy box or a small Flat Rate Box.
    •Paying for First Class mail and MANDATORY tracking/Delivery Confirmation.

Artist Instructions:
    1. Decorate the covers, if you choose. This may be completed either before or after the journal travels through the rotation. Some prefer to decorate before, to establish theme, palette, and mood. Some prefer to decorate after, to prevent damage to cover art. You decide!

2. Please include: (1) Your real name and address; (2) your username; (3) your assigned "travel-plan"; (4) a sign-in area for artists; and (5) any special instructions; in the opening pages of your book -- which you should also decorate.

3. In addition to decorating your opening, informational pages, please create one, 3-page spread in your own Moleskine journal. Yet another opportunity to establish theme.

4. Be sure to "fix" your art well, to prevent smudging. Allow plenty of time for drying before shipping. Wax paper between pages is a great idea.

5. Please communicate regularly via email, PM, or preferably, in this thread, whenever you have (1) received or (2) shipped a book. Include tracking numbers. We're all investing a huge amount of time, talent, and care in this project, and we want to see everyone's Moleskine journal home safely.

6. In the past there have been issues with journals piling up with one player who is unable to keep up due to unforeseen circumstances. Please communicate to the group if you find yourself falling behind. There are several ways to work around that but we can't help if we dont know what's going on. Communication is essential!

7. Please be sure to mail these journals at the post office personally. There have been incidences in other groups of journals being placed in a player's personal roadside box for mailing and having it stolen.

8. Do remember that NO TIP INS are allowed and do not add bulky stuff to the moley to make sure that no damage occures during travel.

9. Most important: Be creative, do your very best work, stretch yourself, and have a blast! Oh, and try to show your art in the thread - we all love to share in the fun!

Participants & Themes:
    01. Nicky - Theme: Anything Japanese (geisha, martial arts, Kabuki theatre, samurai,
    landscapes, Tori, Japanese characters etc.)
    Do's: Prefer handdrawn/handpainted art
    Don'ts: please no collage (except for the Japanese Origami art)

02. Coyote- Theme: Hamsa Hands
    Do's: Create a Hamsa Hand from your own hand print or two! You have three panels go crazy with the designs.
    EACH HAMSA HAND MUST HAVE AN EVIL EYE IN THE CENTER (look at my gallery for some examples).
    These are to hand painted/hand drawn only! no collage or embellishments. I like to keep my books flatter.
    Don't: copy and past from the interwebs or Pintrest.

03. Waffle- Theme:Long Live Sustainability" - it's inspired by this cute notebook I
    found at the store last weekend. See here!
    Do's and don'ts: I would like each spread to include a quote about being green, sustainable, environmentally
    friendly, conserving natural resources, taking care of the planet, nature, wildlife, etc.
    The three page spread should include a quote that does not take up more than one whole panel of space.
    Artwork could be natural landscapes, habitats, plants, wildlife, cute critters (caricature, kawaii style), people
    doing green activities like recycling, etc.
    You can use any medium you like - if you do mixed media/collage just make sure it's not too thick so the
    journal can still fold up and close easily.

04. Trilov - Theme: MAGICAL; what does this word mean to you?
    Do's: Handdrawn/handpainted, some collage ok but not as main focus of the artwork
    Don'ts: no negative nellies! No gore, no horror.

05. DebbaPeot - Theme: Whimsical girls with frogs. (girls, angels, fairies, goth,
    vampire etc).
    Do's and don'ts: one scene covering 3 pages or 3 separate pages with girls with frog.

06. KentuckyDakota - Theme: The Trunk in the Attic
    Do's and don'ts: No tip ins.

07. Angelmuz - Theme: Children's literature. See list of books on Angelmuz' profile
    page and let her know which one you are going to do. (Be quick to have a good pick - once a book has been
    chosen by someone it will be taken off the list )
    Do's: handdrawn/handpainted, collage and mixed media - all techniques are welcome.
    Don'ts: no shoddy work; no magazine pictures and NO DISNEY characters.

08. Jazzie - Theme: Shakespeare Inspired (see #79 for further details)
    Do’s: I really like it when one page spills into another – we are truly collaborating that way. It doesn’t have to
    be much, say of the page adjoining your last page. Don’t worry you won’t be doing extra work, my spread
    will trail into JSilver’s and hopefully a little bit of her work will poke into goatgoddess’s and so on.
    Don'ts: Please don’t use tip-ins. I feel this isn’t really Moley-worthy as you’re creating the artwork outside of the
    Moley. I think the point of this exercise is to work on this unique format itself. Otherwise, we could all create
    three panels on cardstock and mail that to the owner and let them glue it in, right? Yes it’s scary, but have a
    plan and when in doubt, leave the bulk out.

09. JSilver - Theme: Windows and the views behind them.
    Do's: HD/HP preferred, but use the method you do BEST!!
    Show at least one window in the 3 page spread; however, a window on each page is great. See #25
    Don'ts: just nothing negative, no gore or nudity. (I want to share with my grandkids)

10. Goatgoddes - Theme: Myths and Legends (any culture)
    Do's: artist choice on style of art (collage and drawn, all is welcome)
    Don'ts: no too much nudity
    Last edited by Nicky; 10-22-2014 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Themes added
    Seeya , Nicky
    Hosting: All European Moley Group

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

SCHEDULE FOR SENDING MOLEYS

Mailing Schedule.

We will mail to the same player for the entire 9/10 months. See below who is mailing to whom. I have tried to keep the travel distance for each moley to a minimum thus hoping to keep the costs as low as possible and to keep the risk of moleys getting lost small. First mail date will be November 1, 2014 - all moley's should be heading for home on August 1, 2015

Thanks to Goatgoddess for her willingness to send moleys over the big pond to me. Next to my eternal gratitude I will try to think of some way to reward her
    Thanks to Jazzie for checking the mailing schedule (I'm not too well kn-11ow with the location of all the US states)
    Angelmuz is in the middle of the California section because she will be moving from Canada to CA in February (making moley mailing life a lot easier for her)

JULY MAILING:
    Coyote (IN)----------------------------------- HOME
    Waffle (GA)------------------------------------ HOME
    Trilov (CO)------------------------------------ HOME
    DebbaPeot (NV)------------------------------- HOME
    Kentucky Dakota (CA)------------------------- HOME
    Angelmuz (CA)---------------------------------TRAVELLING HOME SINCE 19-11
    Jazzie (CA)------------------------------------ HOME
    JSilver (TX)------------------------------------ HOME
    Goatgoddess (TX)----------------------------- HOME
    Nicky (NL)-------------------------------------- HOME
    Last edited by Nicky; 11-19-2015 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Schedule added for August mailing
    Seeya , Nicky

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea!! I would like to stress #4 is essential. Down here in the South, we have very humid and HOT days. PLEASE put waxed paper between your pages so that your artwork doesn't stick together in the folds. You'll be glad you did!! SO looking forward to this journey with all you gals!!
    Last edited by JSilver; 10-06-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: adding
    old lady on the outside

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Checking in. Whoo-hoo! Can't wait to get this party started!
    He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming
    soon."
    Amen. Come, Lord Jesus. The grace of the Lord Jesus be
    with God's people. Amen.-Revelation 22:20-21
    Crows and Ravens
    Profile PAT

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me too, I am here...must think of a theme!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome found it! I have my theme, but I am altering it a little. I am at work right now. I will have a lunch break here in 20 minutes to write down all my details. :-)

goatgoddess is offline every artist was first an amateur - ralph waldo emerson
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nicky do you have room for one more? thank you for hosting this one - I've just not had time to do it lately.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure we do goatgoddess... welcome to the team. Will send out PM's to ask for personal details as soon as we're complete - only one spot left (oh and Jazzie, DebbaPeot and Trilov that need to sign up officially here).
    Last edited by Nicky; 10-07-2014 at 05:26 AM.
    Seeya , Nicky

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wee - just had a PM from Waffle and now we are FULL!!!! GREAT. Hope to have time tomorrow to send out the PM for details.... start thinking about your themes ladies....
    Seeya , Nicky

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feathers!
    Do: Watercolor, color pencil, paint or sketch beautiful feathers across the section of pages. In the lower right or left hand corner of each page please cite the birdie the inspiration came from. If you want to affix a real feather to the page as well as the hand painted or hand drawn feathers please feel free to do so! Also, They can either be realistic feathers OR zentangle crazy inspired feathers. But PLEASE use a REAL bird's feather as your inspiration!
    Don't: Use stickers, Crayola markers, Sharpie printed computer images, magazine images, etc. I want these to be strictly hand drawn or hand painted. Also, please double check through the book to make sure you are NOT duplicating a feather some one else has made.
    I will be placing some feathers in the little pocket at the end of the book. I have some Mourning Dove feathers (Loo-da-loo according to my Dad), a Mallard feather (quack), a spotted feather I found in the woods...(assuming its a sparrow or a something), a Cardinal feather (Red Bird), and maybe, MAYBE my prized possession a perfect Blue Jay tail feather that my mom found on my birthday last year specifically for me! If that one is in there please please please make sure it gets home safely!
    Last edited by Coyote; 10-06-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    checking in!

Theme: MAGICAL, what does this word mean to you?
    Dos: HD/HP, some collage ok, but shouldn't be the main focus of the artwork
    Don't: No negative nellies! Think positive! No gore, no horror
    Now Hosting: MMH Kokeshi Dolls - Come play!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Theme: Children's literature. I have listed books that I loved as a young person (and still do) on my profile page. I would love it if everyone would please do a different one, so as each person picks a book (please PM me to tell me what book you are picking) I will remove it off of the list.
    Don'ts: Just the normal, don't do shoddy work. If you are a collage person, by all means please do collage, Mixed media is wonderful (my fave), and hand drawn of course. Please don't use magazine pictures as they don't hold up well. And please don't use Disney as the main character of the story, I am looking for a more classic look. I hope that each artist will do the type of work that they do best and will enjoy translating that into a page that encapsulates part of the story. Hopefully it will be fun!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woo Hoo a full house. Great themes, ladies. I'll have to think on mine. You've all made great points in the do's and don'ts.
    old lady on the outside

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    angelmuz i need to figure out a way to do a linoleum print on a moley journal......It can be done!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nicky Question: is this the order of sending
    Nicky ---> Coyote ---> Jazzie ---> JSilver ---> Angelmuz ---> KentuckyDakota ---> DebbaPeot ---> TriLov ---> Goatgoddess ---> Waffle ---> Nicky? Mine will start with Jazzie and make it's long journey back around to me and you will be my last entry?

Do I PM everyone my address?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    The order of mailing has not been decided yet Coyote... there are a few here who are not comfortable with the difficult mailing schedule - and to be honest - I haven't been able to figure it out completely myself. Some prefer to mail the moley they worked on to the same person all the time, to keep it simple... I feel strongly for that system but then there will be one of you constantly mailing to me and I'm in the Netherlands... that's the only bottleneck I fear.... Off to bed now and I'll have a look at it again tomorrow.
    Seeya , Nicky

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Theme: The Trunk in the Attic.ie- Attics with dark dusty corners, cobwebs and mysterious bulky items under sheets, attics full of antiques, a map, a doll, a coffin???or perhaps a finished attic with a rocking horse, flower box outside the window, and children huddled around a board game or having a tea party.
    Whatever you imagine in the attic, but always a trunk in the attic somewhere. Trunks that open, trunks with something sticking out, steamer trunks with travel stamps on it, whatever you like, but always a trunk.
    Let your imagination run wild. Work in your strongest medium- HD/HP is my favorite but if it's not your strength, please do what you're most comfortable with. Please no tip ins if possible. Please keep all pages in portrait orientation.
    soon."
    Crows and Ravens
    Profile PAT

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to have my theme whimsical girls (girls, Angels, fairies, goth, vampires, etc.) with frogs. Your pages can be all (1) one scene or each page a seperate girl w/frog. You are free to use your creative muse of hand drawn/ hand painted/ collage.

Also just an FYI. I see my surgeon on weds and will know surgery date and hospital time frame, this shouldn't interfer with our start date, but just wanted you all to be aware.
    *CreATe* DrAw* ImAGinE* LoVE * sMiLe* lAUgH* hUG*

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question on the feather theme- is there any problem mailing feathers across borders to any of our non USA players? There was a discussion at one time in the host forum about mail getting opened at the borders because it had nature themes or items in it. I'm sure feather art is ok, I'm just wondering if there are restrictions on real feathers? Anyone know?
    soon."
    Crows and Ravens
    Profile PAT

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering about real feathers in the mail, too.

I ordered my moley today. Hopefully it won't take too long to get here. (fingers crossed)

Gee, you gals have WONDERFUL themes. I'm racking my brain.......
    old lady on the outside