Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: #22: More Moley Fun!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile #22: More Moley Fun!

WE ARE FULL! LET THE CREATING BEGIN!

First Mail Date: November 1, 2015
    Subsequent Mail-by dates: December 1, 2015; January 1, 2016; February 1, 2016; March 1, 2016; April 1, 2016; May 1 2016; June 1, 2016; July 1, 2016; August 1, 2016.

Materials required: One blank Japanese Moleskine accordion style pocket album. Approximate size is 3.5" x 5.5". Available at Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, and at MoleskineUS here. http://www.moleskineus.com/japanesebook.html

AFA says you Must:•Be an actively trading AFA member (defined as: positive itrader across 2 swaps in the last 3 months)
    •Have 3+ months in good standing (no neutrals or negative iTraders)
    •Have an iTrader rating of 25+
    •Be willing and able to do your very best work on a strict, inflexible time line, over a long period
    •Be willing and able to complete three (3) journal pages in the themes chosen by each of your nine (9) fellow participants
    •Have the cash resources necessary to ship ten (10) journals around the world using First Class mail with mandatory tracking

It is also mandatory that you share your mailing address, a phone number, and a contact person to the host. This is to be sure no journals go MIA - info will only be shared with your fellow Moley members.

You're responsible for:
    •Choosing and explaining your theme. Each artist will choose their own theme, color scheme/do and don’ts, and special instructions for their own moley’s. You may choose "No theme" if you want participants to "follow their muse."
    •Creating a three (3) page spread in each journal you receive.
    • Include at least your name, username, and date completed on the back of your spread.
    •Shipping to the next artist participant. Use a well-padded bubble envelope, sturdy box or a small Flat Rate Box.
    •Paying for First Class mail and MANDATORY tracking/Delivery Confirmation.

Artist Instructions:
    Decorate the covers, if you choose. This may be completed either before or after the journal travels through the rotation. Some prefer to decorate before, to establish theme, palette, and mood. Some prefer to decorate after, to prevent damage to cover art. You decide!

2. Please include: (1) Your real name and address; (2) your username; (3) your assigned "travel-plan"; (4) a sign-in area for artists; and (5) any special instructions; in the opening pages of your book -- which you should also decorate.

3. In addition to decorating your opening, informational pages, please create one, 3-page spread in your own Moleskine journal. Yet another opportunity to establish theme. (See the attached images for ideas.)

4. Please be sure to "fix" your art well, to prevent smudging. Allow plenty of time for drying before shipping. Wax paper between pages is a great idea.

5. Please communicate regularly via email, PM, or preferably, in this thread, whenever you have (1) received or (2) shipped a book. Include tracking numbers. We're all investing a huge amount of time, talent, and care in this project, and we want to see everyone's Moleskine journal home safely.

6. In the past there have been issues with journals piling up with one player who is unable to keep up due to unforeseen circumstances. Please communicate to the group if you find yourself falling behind. There are several ways to work around that but we can't help if we don’t know what's going on. Communication is essential!

7. Please be sure to mail these journals at the post office personally. There have been incidences in other groups of journals being placed in a player's personal roadside box for mailing and having it stolen.

8. Do remember that NO TIP INS are allowed and do not add bulky stuff to the moley to make sure that no damage occurs during travel.

9. Most important: Be creative, do your very best work, stretch yourself, and have a blast! Oh, and try to show your art in the thread - we all love to share in the fun!
    Last edited by Coyote; 10-27-2015 at 07:30 AM. Reason: updates to player list

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Participants & Themes:

01. Coyote:
    1. Theme: Aquariums: Each 3 page spread should be a complete aquarium Complete with the creatures living in the aquarium.
    2. Dos: I would love to see a variety of aquariums, everything from a full fish set up, to aquatic turtles, salt water aquariums, reptile aquariums, etc. Have fun with it!
    3. Don'ts: NO FINDING NEMO! I do not want a book full of Finding Nemo. These should be original pieces. I want to see a variety of aquariums.
    4. Media Preference: I love hand drawn/hand painted, I love collage! Please do what inspires you! No tip ins, make sure the book can fold flat when closed!

02. SchmancyFancy:
    1. Theme: "Madame Fancy's Sideshow Curiosities." I want my very own, panoramic freakishly fantastic circus sideshow/freak show.
    2. Dos: Research real vintage side show acts or make up your own freakish characters. I want this to be one long panoramic view of the same sideshow. My only MUST is color. Bold, beautiful color!
    3. Don'ts: No abrupt stops. I have seen in some moleys where one artist's work continues over into the next just a tiny bit to help make it flow. I love the look of this. Hopefully my first few pages will be a good example.
    4. Media Preference: Whatever your heart desires. As long as it fits the theme and my moley closes well enough.

03. Nicky: Theme Post
    1. THEME: Wizards & Witches
    2. DO's: I'd love to find a 3-page spread with a witch or wizard in his working space or in action, So please don't limit yourself to just a wizards/witches face... tell a story if you can.
    3. DON'Ts: No tip inns, preferably no paint (it makes the moley thick)
    4. MEDIA: I prefer hand drawn work - that's what I do myself.

04. Zandradee
    1. Theme: New Beginnings
    2. Dos: I'd like a visual exploration of what this might mean to you. Think of synonyms like starting over, renovation, recovery, rebirth, fresh start.... Any style at all - abstract or realistic or whimsical or?
    3. Don'ts: As long as the moley will fold, I'm happy.
    4. Media Preference: HD/HP or mixed media. Or both. :-)

05. DeniseMDupree:Post
    I wanted the whole spread to be a single scene, as opposed to seperate scenes, one continuous i age throughout the whole book.
    1. Theme: Halloween: Each 3 page spread should be full Halloween scene.
    2. Dos: 3 page spread. I would love to see: a row of houses decorated for Halloween, a haunted house scene, a graveyard scene, a group of trick-or-treaters, a Halloween party scene, or whatever scene you are inspired to create. I am hoping that each spread will tell its own Halloween story.
    3. Don'ts: NO CLOWNS. I am not afraid of them, I just hate them (I don't know why lol, just a weird pet peeve thing I guess).
    4. Media Preference: Preferably hand drawn/hand painted. If you do decide to use other media, please keep it as light and thin as possible.

06. Tandy:
    1. Theme: Famous Landmark
    2. Do: Pick one landmark in your city/state (for USA) or country (for international). Please fill all three pages with one scene (as a spread). Also, please write a little something about your landmark and why it is important on the back of your pages. Please sign the back of your pages also.
    3. Don't: Put a bunch of different landmarks or repeat a landmark someone else has already done
    4. Media: HD/HP (no oil paint)

07. Bluesky:
    Theme: In the garden done in Cori Dantini style
    Do: anything found in the garden, birds, bees, flowers, butterflies, trees, gnomes, fairies and so on. Of course, Cori Dantini style girls! Would also love if positive sayings, phrases or words are included. If the three pages could be a continuous scene that's great!
    Don't: There are no don'ts.
    Media Preference: HD/HP with mixed media.

08. Waffle:
    1. Theme: Pretty Girls, Mixed Media Girls in the style of Suzi Blu
    2. Dos: Three page spread with one pretty girl as the focal point
    3. Don'ts: No thick collage / mixed media so the moley can close
    4. Media Preference: Hand drawn, hand painted, light mixed media

09. Theweavershand
    Theme: altering magazine images in my art journals so my theme is designed to challenge all of you to experiment with altering magazine images.
    the images you choose and the way you choose to use and alter them will be completely up to you. my only requirement is that there be an image cut from a magazine that you have altered in some way featured in your spread.

here are some examples of what i have in mind. please feel free to ask any questions or share any uncertainty you may have with me.

Of course, Teesha Moore is a pioneer in this style and I love her take on it but I dont want you to feel limited to do it the "Teesha" way so I've included some examples of different styles that use magazine images.

10. Linda4atcs
    1. Theme Space Station Vacation
    2. Dos A bunch of Aliens from different worlds enjoying themselves, in a variety of activities. The station has Holo decks so you can enjoy any environment. Alien inspiration in Star Wars, Deep Space Nine, Babylon Five, The Fifth Element check out the Art in this swap hosted by Drake22ice., or my aliens in post #137
    3. Don'ts Nothing bulky, keep it flat and fold-able.
    4. Media Preference
    Hand drawn, hand painted, light mixed media

Mailing Schedule

We will mail to the same player for the entire 9/10 months. Look below to find you partners.
    First mail date will be November 1, 2015 - all moley's should be heading for home on August 1, 2016

Mailing Schedule: You will send the moleskines you decorate to the same person each month. Below I have written out the mailing arrangements, I have tried to keep it fair. In the last moleskine swap Nicky mailed across the Atlantic to me, so I will mail across the Atlantic to her. 

MAILING PARTNERS

Coyote (Indiana, USA) ---> Nicky (The Netherlands)

Nicky (The Netherlands) ---> Zandradee (United Kingdom)

Zandradee (United Kingdom) ---> Schmancyfancy (Virginia, USA)

SchmancyFancy (Virginia, USA) ---> Waffle (Georgia, USA)

Waffle (Georgia, USA) ---> Bluesky (Florida, USA)

Bluesky (Florida, USA) ---> theweavershand (Texas, USA)

theweavershand (Texas USA) ---> Tandy (California, USA)

Tandy (California USA) ---> Linda4atc (California, USA)

Linda4atc (California, USA) ---> DeniseMDupree (Michigan, USA)

DeniseMDupree (Michigan, USA) ---> Coyote (Indiana, USA)

The map I drew works out to a very nice looking circle!

REMEMBER: You will sending to the SAME PERSON for the entire year. This means COYOTE will always send a moleskine to NICKY. Everyone's moleskine will cycle through the list until you are left with your own moleskine at the end.

Think conveyer belt. :-)
    Last edited by Coyote; 10-27-2015 at 07:31 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    THEMES

Everyone needs to post on the thread the following things:
    1. Theme
    2. Dos
    3. Don'ts
    4. Media Preference

Them you need to PM me the following things:
    1. Full Name
    2. Current Address that you will use for the whole swap
    3. Email
    4. Phone Number
    5. Location (i.e. Indiana, USA)

Please DO THIS by the END of AUGUST.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Theme: Aquariums: Each 3 page spread should be a complete aquarium Complete with the creatures living in the aquarium.

2. Dos: I would love to see a variety of aquariums, everything from a full fish set up, to aquatic turtles, salt water aquariums, reptile aquariums, etc. Have fun with it!

3. Don'ts: NO FINDING NEMO! I do not want a book full of Finding Nemo. These should be original pieces. I want to see a variety of aquariums.

4. Media Preference: I love hand drawn/hand painted, I love collage! Please do what inspires you! No tip ins, make sure the book can fold flat when closed!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah - we're getting action here - will see if I can find peeps to fill the last two spots.
    Here are my details:

1. THEME: Wizards & Witches
    2. DO's: I'd love to find a 3-page spread with a witch or wizard in his working space or in action, So please don't limit yourself to just a wizards/witches face... tell a story if you can.
    3. DON'Ts: No tip inns, preferably no paint (it makes the moley thick)
    4. MEDIA: I prefer hand drawn work - that's what I do myself.
    Seeya , Nicky

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Theme: Pretty Girls, Mixed Media Girls in the style of Suzi Blu
    2. Dos: Three page spread with one pretty girl as the focal point
    3. Don'ts: No thick collage / mixed media so the moley can close
    4. Media Preference: Hand drawn, hand painted, light mixed media

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi I would love to sign up, I will post my theme in a little bit if that is okay?

ETA - What is a tip in? And is this the correct notebook: http://www.amazon.com/Moleskine-Japa.../dp/8883701046
    Last edited by DeniseMDupree; 08-04-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseMDupree View Post
    Hi I would love to sign up, I will post my theme in a little bit if that is okay?

ETA - What is a tip in? And is this the correct notebook: http://www.amazon.com/Moleskine-Japa.../dp/8883701046
    I will sign you up!

Post your theme whenever you have a chance.

A tip in is a page that is made outside of the book then glued into the journal. It makes the journal heavy and the pages won't fold.

Yes, that is the right moley!

Yay!

schmancyfancy is offline Suspended User Suspended Member
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOO HOO! I'm so excited to get started! I will post my theme soon. I hope we can find two more artists so our books can be filled to the brim with creative overload... sorry, I'm just really excited!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    What does "no paint" mean? Watercolor is very thin. I usually use acrylic in mine, to great success... Does this mean "markers or pens only?"

I know I've been inactive forever. However, I'm looking for something to get me out and about... And I always liked Moleys... The last mail art swap I participated in was a moley for LemurKat, with Swaggertoes, since she was staying with me for the summer. That would have been two years ago. (The short story: in that time, my oldest dog's heart condition worsened. He had valve disease, which finally ended his time with us on March 18, 2015; his daughter fell thru a broken step on our deck, and barely escaped being paralyses; I had an emergency tonsillectomy at age 60, shortly after Bambi went back to Ohio, which took a while to recover from; found out I have a major endocrine disorder, and got it under control-mostly; and last Thursday, had an emergency tooth extraction, for which I'm rewarded by two weeks of bed rest. So, bored, I'm coloring. Yup. Coloring. Though they're looking really good!)

I'm definitely hand painted, hand drawn; I don't "do" mixed media (well, occasionally, but it's rare, a special circumstance.) Is that a problem?

I'm set for the moleys- bought a "bundle" at the time.

Since many of you don't know me, I've been doing atcs since March 2007, was very active for a while. Feel free to look in my gallery here, though I've not uploaded any recent work. (My original scanner crapped out, and now the scanner I have doesn't "like" pinks or sometimes yellows. Still looking for a better one.)

I work more quickly now... Have been working on larger pieces (though not much larger; the ATC size is still a favorite, though I ~adore inchies.)

Edit: not sure why my iTrader is so low... If my Illustratedatcs.com number is to be honored, I think I'm in the 4-500 range. Honestly, I stopped worrying about that number long ago. ��

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks so much for the invite, Nicky! I'd love to play if you still have the space.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    All right, I hope I filled this out right. I was trying to be clear that I wanted the whole spread to be a single scene, as opposed to individual scenes on each page.

1. Theme: Halloween: Each 3 page spread should be full Halloween scene.

2. Dos: 3 page spread. I would love to see: a row of houses decorated for Halloween, a haunted house scene, a graveyard scene, a group of trick-or-treaters, a Halloween party scene, or whatever scene you are inspired to create. I am hoping that each spread will tell its own Halloween story.

3. Don'ts: NO CLOWNS. I am not afraid of them, I just hate them (I don't know why lol, just a weird pet peeve thing I guess).

4. Media Preference: Preferably hand drawn/hand painted. If you do decide to use other media, please keep it as light and thin as possible.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by theweavershand View Post
    thanks so much for the invite, Nicky! I'd love to play if you still have the space.
    Yes there is space! I'll add your name!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, thanks! i'll get back to you with my theme.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by theweavershand View Post
    Awesome, thanks! i'll get back to you with my theme.

Sounds good to me, take you time.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by meran View Post
    What does "no paint" mean? Watercolor is very thin. I usually use acrylic in mine, to great success... Does this mean "markers or pens only?"
    Hi Meran, In my case watercolor is fine ... just no thick paint (oil paint for instance)... thin acrylic is okay too (some can't do thin - I have bad experiences with that). I am only trying to prevent that paint makes the moley thick and it will not fold neatly. - my moley has to travel a long way so it's just a precaution.

By the way - just checked out your gallery...wow - lovely art and such cute doggies and kitties!!!!
    Last edited by Nicky; 08-05-2015 at 03:51 AM.
    Seeya , Nicky

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nicky, I'd never use oil paint on these things! One: it'd soak in, blotchy, nasty; two: no time to properly dry! Btw, I've used gold foil on these to great effect, they fold just fine, though I've no idea to use it this time.

I don't do the thick impasto style. (That would be fine for chunkies , lol) My acrylics are thin, like watercolor, in fact, I've used watercolor too. No flaking either, on anything. I'd hate to put all the effort in just for it to be ruined

Theme later, folks. I'm supposed to be sleeping... The pain woke me. Which is good, because I needed to take my midnight antibiotic. (Yeah, I'm late ) Will post tomorrow.

I guess I should prep my book. Lol

Thanks for adding me. I very much appreciate y'all letting me in. I SO need the diversion!

Denise, I don't like clowns either. No fear for me either.

I finally figured out WHY last year: clowns act like drunkards. Red nose, fumbling about, knocking things over, almost feel like an uncle who will take inappropriate actions (like molesting kids), can't be trusted with ~anything. Since 95% of my family are Irish drunks, I grew up watching family members so drunk they blacked out (or stayed awake, but with no idea of what they were doing, or even, KNEW what they were doing, but figured they "had an excuse"). Has anyone seen the movie The Lost Weekend? Old old movie... If you have drunks in your family, you should watch it. It's NOT funny, is a warning against overdoing alcohol.

Anyway, sorry if that's an over-share. But if you think about it, you may be uncomfortable around them because of the unpredictability of behavior from them.

PS. I recently found out that the Clown College (there was one!) recently closed its doors - no more interest in it!
    Last edited by meran; 08-08-2015 at 02:45 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just read the PM -- am I too late? I'd love to do this!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by meran View Post
    Nicky, I'd never use oil paint on these things! One: it'd soak in, blotchy, nasty; two: no time to properly dry! Btw, I've used gold foil on these to great effect, they fold just fine, though I've no idea to use it this time.

I don't do the thick impasto style. (That would be fine for chunkies , lol) My acrylics are thin, like watercolor, in fact, I've used watercolor too. No flaking either, on anything. I'd hate to put all the effort in just for it to be ruined
    Sounds good Meran - in this way paint will be no problem
    Seeya , Nicky

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zandradee View Post
    I just read the PM -- am I too late? I'd love to do this!
    Yes, I am sorry Zandradee. :-(