Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A FUN QUILT BLOCK SWAP~Due April 3

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

A FUN QUILT BLOCK SWAP~Due April 3

Final due date (all blocks need to be delivered to me by this date): April 3, 2017

Members of this swap must have an I-Trader rating of 15+.

Object of this swap is to trade and collect quilt blocks for future use.

Number of participants in each group is 4, you will need to create three blocks to trade in each group. Obviously you could make additional blocks for your own use. I will add swap groups as sign-up increases. You can signup for only one group at a time. When you complete your three blocks post a picture of your blocks to this Thread then you may sign up for another group.

Withdrawing from this group is not an option. If this did happen you would need to find someone else to complete your blocks for the group and communicate your situation to the Thread.

Create a 9 X 9 inch quilt block in colors requested for each person in your group. Use only 100% quality cotton fabrics that have been pre-washed before you start cutting them. Seams are to be machine stitched straight at 1/4 inch depth thus the finished block will be 9X9 inches. Press seam flat.

Each block will be created of your own design in colors requested by members of your group. No applique pieces added to block. Colors can be found in prints or solids.

When ready to mail, tuck each quilt block into protective plastic bag or sleeve and include your user name and user name of the person the block was made for. Print a mailing label with your address and put this in your mailing bag. PM me for my address.

Please send the same amount of postage as it cost you to mail the blocks to me. Out of USA folks should send two extra dollars as postage here seems to be more expensive when sending out of the USA. You may hold all your blocks and mail them together just be sure they get here by, April 3, 2017.

Any ?????'s--post to thread or PM me especially before joining group.

Choices allowed: partners in each group can request a NS (no signature on the block) or a SIGN (signature on one's block). Be sure to check with partner on where they would like the signature (front or back) ink or pencil.

Here is an example of a group:

GROUP 0

JAN-9X9 finished size block. Dark blue, white, teal blue, lime green. NS
    Blanche- 9X9 finished size block. Rose, pink, purple, black. SIGN on front.
    Ann- 9x9 finished size block, Leaf green, yellow, dark blue. SIGN on back.
    Terri-9x9 finished block. Dark gold yellow, rust orange, dark green, light brown. NS

GROUP 1
    Jan-9x9 finished size block, dark blues, light blue, teal greens, lime green NS
    JSilver-9x9 finished size block, violets, greens and blues with any coordinating shade of colors NS
    cheryls-9x9 finished size block, red, white, gold, blue SIGN on back
    livia-9x9 finished size block, gray, black, cream SIGN on front

GROUP 2
    cheryls-9x9 finished size block, blue, white, gold SIGN on back
    Jan 9x9" finished size block, dark blues, light blues, teal greens, lime green NS
    All blocks have been received.
    Last edited by Jan; 04-04-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    You'll meet more angels on a winding path than on a straight one. D.Verlaef

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are up and running and can start making quilt blocks.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, sounds interesting, sign me up.
    My colors would be violets, greens, and blues with any coordinating shades of those colors
    NS
    old lady on the outside

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm interested but will just lurk for now.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome "J" and thanks for stepping up and joining. I'm already thinking of your colors and block design.
    I attached an image of a quilt I finished in 2011 when Carole Cadek hosted a quilt swap much like the one that is now offered. My colors were blues, purple, hot pink and orange.
    Cheryl, hope you give us some serious thought.
    Last edited by Jan; 01-13-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like your posted image, Jan. Gorgeous colors. Is there a minimum on the number of pieces for each quilt block? I'm going through my stash today.
    old lady on the outside

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    No limit on pieces for a block. Thank you, for the nice comment. Usually I hand quilt a pieced quilt top but this one was assembled machine quilting each block and hand sewing blocks together with the Georgia Bonesteel method.
    Last edited by Jan; 01-14-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    She was the darling of quilting back in the day. I'm fortunate to live so close to Houston and usually attend the Houston quilt festival in the fall. Haven't been in a while though.
    old lady on the outside

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    sign me up please. my colors will be red, white, gold & blue .

I belonged to an online guild called Quiltnet ( a list serve group) when the internet was brand new and one had to type in long commands through telnet to get on. i made a few quilts from swapped blocks. the main issue is accuracy with precise 1/4 in seams and the correct block size.
    heres a pic of my Christmas swap quilt. the blocks were nine patch. i have blocks from 20 different states. I had to fudge some of them to fit and the worst are on the back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh... i did get to the Houston Quilt festival. Great quiltshow! i wish i could go every year. I met a quiltnet friend from San Diego in Houston and after the the show we flew to Miami for a cruise.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Cheryl, what a gorgeous Christmas quilt. I totally agree about the need to keep precise 1/4 inch seam allowances. Long ago I was a member of the local quilt guild and we swapped blocks. And , whoa, you were a trooper to do all the lengthy commands in the old days!
    If you ever come back down here to Texas, let me know. What a treat to do the festival and then cruise. Must have been a Blast!
    I think Chicago has a quilt festival too. That would be closer to you .

Now to go hunt my fat quarters for red, white, blue and gold!
    old lady on the outside

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the compliment on my quilt. it came out well despite the aggravation of putting it together. That was the main reason i was hesitating to sign up for this swap.

The Vermont Quilt festival is great and much closer.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the discussion going on here ladies and thanks Cheryl for sharing your finished swap block quilt, it is lovely. Cheryl, do you want a signature or not and if so on front or back of quilt block.
    I envy you ladies going to these big quilt shows, I have never been to Houston or Chicago shows, just local ones. On the other hand I do have some books showing the projects at the Houston show in past years. As for supplies, I have plenty. I am an avid cotton fabric dyer and use a lot of my own fabrics in the quilts I make with maybe purchasing one basic print to pull the project together.
    So glad you ladies are going to be in this first group, you have lots of experience.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oooo, Jan, I'm impressed with your dyeing abilities. It sounds like so much fun; but I just have so many irons in the fire..... at least, that's my excuse! I've purchased hand dyed fat quarters and fondle them, but have a hard time cutting and using them! I'm more into using my fabrics in small projects than large quilts. I get too frustrated trying to woman-handle a large project.
    old lady on the outside

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do want a signature on the back.
    I find dying fabric to be too messy and time consuming. I paint my fabrics. You just dampen them and paint. And it's fun! There are a lot of fabric paints out there.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had good luck painting fabric. I'm always afraid it will bleed. Do you use a mordant? Or iron after painting?
    old lady on the outside

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ooo quilting! I am having a serious lurk!
    IMPORTANT ... All overseas traders - please make sure all envelopes are well taped up as I've had some arrived torn
    Catching up on itraders and you rock points
    So sorry for not being on here much recently, the cursed fibromyalgia keeps taking over my body and mind ... and has made my creative juices dry up

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to play - I want Grays, black and cream, sign on the front

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep thinking....Lucy. Welcome Livia you completed our first foursome.
    Cheryl it would be interesting to know what fabric paint products you use, are they washable and maintain their colors? I agree using acid reduction dyes are messy and one needs to be careful but I love the flow of colors and freedom they create on fibers.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woo hoo! The first foursome. Off to gather my blacks, grays, and creams! And decide on a pattern.
    old lady on the outside