Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Valentine - Atart February 10 to February 15

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Valentine - Atart February 10 to February 15

VALENTINE ATART ATHON - Friday, February 10 to Wednesday, February 15

SO HAPPY YOU CAME TO PLAY!
    This is both the Pre-Athon, and the Official Athon Thread.

Start time (in your time zone) 12:01 am (midnight) on Friday morning (But it really feels like Thursday at Midnight…same thing.) February 10, 2017 and 'end time 11:59 pm (midnight) Wednesday, February 15, 2017, in the latest time zone, or thereabouts. . . '
    Don't worry if we run over, we almost always do.

This is an ATART, which means All Types of Art, as well as All Sizes of Art. This is called a Valentine Athon to signify the time of year this Athon is running, and to allow people to "Name" the Athon so people know if/when they receive their trades.

This includes All Types of Art, no matter what the size.....we can do: ATC’s, APC's, 4x4 chunky pages, 4x6’s, inchies, twinchies, moos, bookmarks, charms, jewelry, art dolls, skinny pages, journal pages, tags, rolos, gothic arches, valentine houses/love shacks, post cards, recipe cards – or whatever type of art your heart calls you to create!

All mediums are welcome: collaging, sewing, painting, drawing, digital altering, photographs, metal work, beading, sculpting...and all styles are welcome: zentangles, various color schemes (b/w, pastels/brights, autumn/winter/spring/summer shades, single colors, etc)

And of course we can trade, chat, plus have awesome, ridiculous amounts of FUN!

Remember this Athon is open to EVERYONE. You do not have to sign up.
    All ideas, sizes, themes, and focus are welcome. For those of you who prefer a challenge or a specific theme, these are listed below. But remember, challenges and themes are ENTIRELY optional. Create whatever is speaking to you today.

All themes and sizes are welcome. For those of you who like to have a specific focus, see below:

OPTIONAL CHALLENGES/THEMES FOR THE WEEK are coming:

After you trade your creations they should be moved from the Athon gallery to your appropriate Traded gallery (So only AVAILABLE Athon cards are in the Athon gallery.) This makes it much easier to know which cards to ask for when trading becomes fast and furious (as it will )

Here's the "fine print"
    What IS an ATHON?
    It’s a marathon create-your-favorite-art weekend, done over the same day and time in each time zone.
    It’s kind of like we were all together for the weekend to play with our art supplies and this thread is our play room.

HOW IT WORKS: start creating art at the designated time, then upload your lovely creations to the A-thon Gallery (go to your Gallery as usual but choose 'A-thon Gallery' as the destination when asked on the UPLOAD page) and post to the thread. Continue throughout the Athon. Trading and chatting ensues. Wednesday night, February 15, 2017 at 11:59pm on (your time zone) you’re done creating art… however you may continue to chat and trade as long as you like.

HOW TO ASK FOR A TRADE: - When you find a piece of art you must have, please SEND A PERSONAL MESSAGE (PM) to that person asking for a trade. Please DO NOT post requests for trades to the thread. It can get way too confusing.

Note: If you do make a trade, please be sure to send to your trade partner within two weeks. If you’re running late, communicate!

WANT TO COMPLIMENT AN ARTIST: And you will… remember you can click the You Rock button and leave it there.

HOW TO POST YOUR ART TO THE THREAD:
    According to Jewels:
    Easiest way is with attachments. You hit the 'Go Advanced' button under the typing box. Scroll down and hit 'Manage Attachments' button. New window pops up. Hit 'Browse' and find your picture file. Hit 'Upload'. You can put up to 5 pictures on one Post. When you're done, you close the browsing window and hit the 'Submit Reply' button to post them to the thread.

Second way is to copy/paste. They need to be in your gallery for this one. I open 2 tabs... one to the thread and one to the gallery. Right click on the picture and scroll down the list. Click on 'Copy Image Location'. Move to Thread posting box. Hit the picture postcard icon along the top. Paste over the http/// stuff. Hit 'OK' button. You can paste as many picts in as you want this way. Just make sure to put space in between them.
    Jpeg files work the best for uploading. A size of 8-12 kb will be of sufficient size.

According to the FAQs
    From your atcsforall.com gallery:
    It’s easiest to have two windows open, or two tabs open.
    I can create another "tab" and get to my gallery in one and be in my post reply box in the other.

Internet Explorer
    1 Go to the main page of your gallery & right click on the picture you wish to post - this brings up a menu which has “properties” at the bottom.
    2) Right click on “properties”, and it will show you "Address (URL)"Highlight the address/url and copy (Ctrl C).
    Then follow steps 3 - 5 below
    Note: Your picture will come up as large. Most folks use small or medium in the thread.

Mozella Firefox and Mac Safari (most versions)
    1) Go to the main page of your gallery & right click on the picture you wish to post - this brings up a menu that includes “Copy Image Location” (which is about 2/3 down the list for me)
    2) Click on the “Copy Image Location”
    Then follow steps 3 - 5

3) Go to your post in the thread and click on the "insert image" button (looks like a postcard)
    4) Paste the address (right click, click paste or Ctrl P) into the window that pops up and hit OK - that puts the code into your post for your picture to show up; (you paste the address from the properties box over the http thingy that shows when you open the "insert image" box)
    5) Remember that images from the gallery are small, medium or large. Most folks use small or medium in the thread. Find the word small, medium or large (or letters s m l) in the address and change it to size you want.

[IMG]http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/400/small/1_Maygar_Posta-traded.jpg [/IMG

(leaving the last bracket off the above so you can see how the address will look)

To upload images from your computer:

Google
    1. Click the POST REPLY button at the bottom of the messages screen. You will get a pop up message box. Above the message box, click the paperclip next to the smiley face. (The paperclip appears if your browser is Google, or Google Chrome, but does NOT appear if your Browser is Internet Explorer.) Next upload your pictures as usual. This will upload your picture as a thumbnail.

Internet Explorer
    2. If you go into the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the messages screen, then you need to click on the GO ADVANCED button and you will get the paperclip above the message box. (Again, the paperclip appears if your browser is Google, or Google Chrome, but does NOT appear if your Browser is Internet Explorer.)

INDIVIDUAL HEADINGS ON YOUR GROUPED CARDS - DIRECTIONS

Just a hint - to make it easier to ask for a particular card you can individualise their headings after you have loaded them (which is what I do).

After you load your cards in a set (to do this click on the YES button in 'Upload as a set', found just under where you enter your cards) click on each card to bring it up again. At the top of that screen, almost on the far right of the navigation bar you will find 'Edit'. Click on this and it then takes you to the 'Gallery' screen, just click 'Continue'.

You then have a screen where you can change: the actual picture (if you have taken a better version or you changed the card slightly), change its title (give it a number or an individual description),and change/add to the base description itself.

This is the same screen you use when you change a card from 'Available' to 'Traded'.
    It does not ungroup a set of cards, it just gives you more choices for individuality.
    I hope that I have not confused you,

NEW TO A-THONS?
    If you have any questions at all, feel free to pm your host, or post your questions to the thread. We have a lot of experienced art-a-thoners who are more than willing to help those of you new to this craziness.

IMPORTANT: REMEMBER TO PUT YOUR USERNAME ON THE BACK OF YOUR CARDS. You can't get an iTrader if your trading partner doesn't know who you are.
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 02-21-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hoping you have not yet gotten enough Valentines.
    Hoping you will participate.
    Hoping you will take this pre-Athon notification, and this pre-Athon time, to get your supplies together.

I can NOT believe how many people get to the first day of the Athon and cannot find their Supplies.
    Do not feel bad, I am one of the worst ones......I put my Valentine "Stuff" in a "Safe Place" and I swear, my "Safe Place" turns out to be the "Bermuda Triangle"..... I am still looking for stuff I put aside 3 years ago.
    so, while waiting for start time,
    FIND YOUR VALENTINES. FIND YOUR HEARTS. FIND YOUR RED AND PINK, MARKERS. NOW!!!!!!

Now for the RULES

Athon "Rules"
    Top 10 things to do to prepare for a major ATART Athon:

These are Compliments of nightowl_too, as posted on an earlier Athon thread.
    I cannot take credit for these

10. Record message on answering machine/service that says: "I am unable to take your call, Art Athon in progress"
    Warn friends and family not to visit during the Art Athon.
    A note on the door to this effect (i.e. "go away I'm busy art Athon-ing") may be warranted.

9. Visit post office to stock up on stamps and envies

8. Make sure 'fridge is stocked with food and pre cooked meals.
    You don't want to have to leave home during the ATART Athon.

7. Inventory art supplies...go purchase extra stock if needed.
    Or simply purchase extra - don't take the chance of running out!

6. Have emergency contact person ready to make a STAT art supplies, or food run, or chocolate and Bailey's trip, if necessary. You can't be bothered during the ATART.

5. Get all house work done in advance. You can't be bothered with washing dishes or doing laundry.
    Find all your crock pot recipes, and require your kids to take turns cleaning the kitchen.
    Make sure you have enough paper plates on hand.

4. Stock up on caffeine.
    You don't want to waste any more time on sleep than necessary.

3. Get ALL art supplies out of storage and scatter them all over your art table. Do NOT be concerned if some spill over onto adjacent flat surfaces, or onto the floor. You need to have a visual of all of your supplies during the art process for inspiration

2. Install portable bed next to art table so as not to waste precious time traveling to and from bed if the need for sleep becomes necessary (refer to number 4)

1. Calories do not count during an Athon!
    First, you are too busy to take time to eat meals, and second, what you do eat, you burn off with all that creative arting!
    And, if you do take time to eat a REAL meal, be sure to eat standing up......All the calories fall off if you eat while standing.

P.S.
    If Rule #10 doesn't work, tell everyone you have a mandatory business trip. Pack your bags and check into the hotel down the road with just you and your art supplies.
    Order everything through Room Service.
    Never leave the room until the Athon is over
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 02-21-2017 at 01:16 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is an ATART, which means all styles, colors, sizes, are welcome. Go where your Muse leads you.
    If your Muse is out of town, on vacation, or merely un-cooperative, and for those of you who like to have a specific focus, there are daily challenges.
    See below:

These are not mandatory themes for the day, only ideas in the event that your Muse is not around to give you guidance.
    Also note that since Singapore and Australia will reach Friday, while most of the rest of us players are still on Thursday, the days may be "off" for your time zone.
    But since these are only prompts for your Muse, it really doesn't matter.

OPTIONAL CHALLENGES/THEMES FOR THE ATHON:

Day #1 - Friday, February 10 – PRETTY IN PINK, OR WHITE, OR RED (Traditional Valentine colors)
    Vintage Valentines with pithy comments and puns. Bright colors and funny sayings.
    Victorian Valentines with ribbon, lace or washi tape. Soft colors and sentiments of Love

Day #2 - Saturday, February 11 – NON TRADITIONAL COLORS
    Blue, Green, Grey, Orange, Black and White
    SteamPunk Valentines
    Copper, Silver, Gold, Brown, Grunge

Day #3 - Sunday, February 12 –Stamps (Postage Stamps or Rubber Stamps)
    Use postage stamps today - there are lots and lots of valentine stamps just released, and recently released, in heart shapes and with words or themes of love that fit this Athon prompt.
    You can also use postage stamps of people that you love, or make you think of love, or are known for their songs about love. (Love Me Tender, Can't Help Falling in Love with You)
    Use heart shaped rubber stamps or rubber stamps with Valentine sentiments. And don't forget cupid! Go realistic, whimsical, cartoon-y, silly, zetti.
    Many craft stores have their valentine stamps on sale already.

Day #4 - Monday, February 13 – SIZE MATTERS
    Inchies, twinchies, chunkies, moos
    Although this is ATART, or All Types of Art, some of us have a size that is our "comfort zone" and we seldom make other sizes of art. This is a prompt for you to get out of your comfort zone and make something in a size that you usually do not do, or have never done.
    Be sure to list what you want to trade for.
    Do you want to trade inchies for inchies, or will you trade chunkies for ATCs, and please specify your trade conversion
    i.e. 2 inchies for 1 twinchie, or 6 inchies for 1 ATC, or "Will trade for anything"

Day # 5 - Tuesday, February 14 - VALENTINE'S DAY - Valentines that Moove
    Valentines that spin, slip, slide, pull, pop up, twist, twirl, open, or in any way moove.
    Valentines with a pocket
    Valentines in a pocket (that are removable)

Day #6 - Wednesday, February 15 - Hearts and Flowers, Chocolate, Wine
    Don't we all want some?

Any left over time/energy -- Finish those cards languishing half done on your desk/floor/craft area
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 02-21-2017 at 01:58 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone wanting to chit and chat is welcome, whether they participate, post, trade, or not.
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 02-02-2017 at 04:35 AM.

jo.on.the.go is online now going, going, always going...but at home for a while
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just bookmarking. I spent a load of money at Michael's today so that I have valentine embellishments. I will do something besides Greece this time!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not in any swaps coming up and I need some valentines...I hope I can play!! I'll try and make some backgrounds only, ahead of time!! And see what I have ready to go! Thanks, Vicki!
    My "MUSE" has taken an extended vacation!!!...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bookmarking for sure! I should be all caught up by then and ready and raring to go
    Current address is in Varsity Lakes - moving in July/August to our new forever home in Robina
    Now hosting: Cats -NOT HD/HP http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?35205 and Beeswax and napkins http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?35206

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    yea.... booking and lookin' for fun times, good food and drink...
    http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gall...rchcatidsuri=4
    LINK above... my available cards ..

Ain't Life Just Ducky

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see so many interested people checking in and bookmarking.

jo.on.the.go
    I hope you found some good deals at Michaels!
    Everything I saw was 40% or 50% off, and I had a coupon for an additional 30% off my purchase, including all sale items.
    And Greece is fine. It is a city of LOVE, with temples dedicated to the Goddess of LOVE.
    What could be more appropriate for Valentine's Day.
    Of course, non Greece is good too.

Kimmie
    Hope you can play.
    Everyone needs some valentines

Donnacr
    I can only imagine how behind you are.
    Trying to catch up on cards and itrades and You Rock! points has to be daunting.

Just Ducky
    FUN, and FOOD, and DRINK
    And maybe a few Valentines.
    Looking forward to seeing what you and the Duck create
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 02-02-2017 at 12:12 PM.

jaw is offline Be inspiring ... be kind ...
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    You crack me up ... we're arting all the way until October !!? Hahahahahha!!!
    Be Kind. Just. Be. Kind.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good catch, jaw.
    You should be my proof-reader.
    But, glad it caught your attention.
    Hope you can participate.
    I cannot remember the last time I traded with you.

P.S.
    I fixed it.

jaw is offline Be inspiring ... be kind ...
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am hoping to join in. I've been trading this week and it is bringing me joy. We all need something to bring us joy right now.
    Be Kind. Just. Be. Kind.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto to that!!!

Although, on the bright side, (pun intended) the sun is out today.
    This is the first time in almost a month that we have had actual SUN!

jo.on.the.go is online now going, going, always going...but at home for a while
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vicki Z: You got a good deal at your Michael's. Mine had valentine stuff for 40% and 50% off but I didn't have an additional coupon. I did get two packs of $1 stickers that were in the 40% off though. On the way there I stopped at the Dollar Store and got some foam valentine cutouts and ribbon for, naturally, $1, and so that was cheaper than Michael's. I also got $1 valentines for each of my 7 grandkids, which was definitely cheaper than elsewhere...not that my grandkids have anything to do with this swap. But they do like getting their own mail (ages less than 1 to 12 years).

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am on Michael's snail mail list for mailing coupons, and I get better coupons than my friends who are on their email coupon list, and I don't have to waste my time and paper to print them out..
    Go figure.....

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yay for another marathon! I'm here!

Howdy JAW! Great to see you!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome KESagers.
    I don't think I traded with you last Athon.
    We must be due....

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh ya! Bookmarking for sure. Love love love the prompts , Vicki.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Z View Post
    Welcome KESagers.
    I don't think I traded with you last Athon.
    We must be due....
    Yes let's trade!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    oh ya! Bookmarking for sure. Love love love the prompts , Vicki.

Glad you like the prompts
    I am just a chatter-box.....
    And I LOVE Valentines.

I hope you can do more than just "bookmark"
    You need to participate!
    Get those valentines cranked out!!
    We want to trade!!!
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 02-03-2017 at 06:18 AM.