Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini-House-athon?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Mini-House-athon?

We're having a Mini (Moo) House-athon!!

Dates: March 10-13 (12:00 a.m. Friday to midnight Monday in your time zone)

Come one, come all! This thread will serve as the pre-athon Q&A, Build Excitement thread! Around March 1 I'll post the official -athon thread.

Standard size of your Mini Moo houses
    should be 1 inch wide by 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 inches tall. (Final height will depend on how and where you attach your roof. So you have some leeway, but please make sure they are no shorter than 2-3/4 inches and no taller than 3-1/4 inches.)

Mediums: Open (collage, watercolor, HD/HP, rubber stamping, digital altering, textiles/fabric, etc), as long as it's original work. That is, no prints or copies, please.

Challenges or themes:
    * Women (International Women's Day is March 8)
    * Time (daylight savings time ends in the U.S. on March 12; very wide interpretation allowed, clocks, whatever)
    * St. Patrick's Day
    * Pantone Color of the Year = Greenery
    * Monopoly (March 19 is World Monopoly Day)
    * Spring / Equinox
    * Earth / Earth Day

Optional challenge ideas: Use something nontraditional as your substrate (see sample below where I used a property card from Monopoly). Incorporate a new technique into your usual style (for me, that would be zentangles). How about one day we do a "Little Old Lady Who Lived in a Shoe" and create SHOE houses? Other suggestions are welcome!

So, what do you say? Who wants to go crazy making Mini Houses next month?

What IS an ATHON?
    It’s a marathon create-your-favorite-art weekend, done over the same day and time in each time zone. It’s kind of like we were all together for the weekend to play with our art supplies and this thread is our play room.

HOW IT WORKS: start creating art at the designated time, then upload your lovely creations to the A-thon Gallery (go to your Gallery as usual but choose 'A-thon Gallery' as the destination when asked on the UPLOAD page) and post to the thread. Continue throughout the Athon. Trading and chatting ensues. Stop creating art when the -athon is done (midnight of the scheduled ending date). However, you may continue to chat and trade as long as you like.

Sample by Miss Iowa

Samples by grrdjules
    Last edited by Miss Iowa; 02-21-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    As it is a "thon" would that mean it is an event we attend only in person? I might not be able to make it there in March but I am going to be making my own at home while you gals work on yours.

I like themes that you have selected... especially Earth Day. Suggestion: how about "New Beginnings" as it is spring...start of a new season and for some of us the start of something new in our lives? It's open and thus flexible.

Also I love the shoe house idea!! I can not wait to see what everyone makes for these!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the idea, Miss Iowa! I would participate!

And, ParadoxSketchbook, this "a-thon" would be an online event...everyone creating their own moo houses at home and posting them to the site/thread/gallery to trade.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, mrubyjean!

Hey Paradox: As mrubyjean said, an -athon is all online. Create at home, then come to the thread for trades, chitchat, etc. There's currently a Valentine ATART-athon going on, if you want to check it out for a better idea of how it works.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    More Mini-house inspiration from the gallery!

By nightowl_too

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Samples by jensaz from the Mini-house-athon in 2013. I'm lucky enough to have these in my collection.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Iowa View Post
    Awesome, mrubyjean!

Hey Paradox: As mrubyjean said, an -athon is all online. Create at home, then come to the thread for trades, chitchat, etc. There's currently a Valentine ATART-athon going on, if you want to check it out for a better idea of how it works.
    So it works like an event... for the time set everyone makes the houses from there home and then uploads them once done? Or is the time reserved for just the uploading of creations and chit chat?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    This sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for the invite!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would play
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.
    -Oscar Wilde

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxSketchbook View Post
    So it works like an event... for the time set everyone makes the houses from there home and then uploads them once done? Or is the time reserved for just the uploading of creations and chit chat?
    Paradox: Once the -athon starts, you start creating moo houses and post them for trade as soon as they're done. Most people hop back and forth between creating and seeking/finalizing trades. Most folks wait until the end of the -athon to actually send any trades, since it's likely you'll trade with the same person more than once (I personally like to do 2:2 or even 3:3 trades for moos).

Go here to the Valentine ATART (all kinds of art-athon) that's going on. The first post will give you some idea of how an -athon works. And then scroll through the thread which will give you an idea of how it works. And maybe you'll want to jump in and give it a try!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woohoo, Jensaz! Would love to have more of your moo houses in my collection!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    KESagers! Alright alright, alright! (Said in my best Matthew Mcconaughey voice. )

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    would we trade moos in sets? What would be a standard set of moos.

oh, and, I can't remember with the moo houses....Do the roofs go on top so that they add to the length of the moo? Or do they fit over the end so that the entire length of the house and roof equal the length of the moo?
    Last edited by nightowl_too; 02-10-2017 at 11:44 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    The number of moos traded would be up to the individuals to decide. I think a lot of people traded 2:2 or 3:3. You get more bang for your postage buck by trading more than one. I myself often make moos in pairs or trios that coordinate, and I want them to stay together. But as I said, it's really up to the individual traders.

As for the height: All of the moo houses I received in trades had the roof added on top of the standard moo height of 2.75 inches, making them around 3-1/8 to 3-1/4 inches tall. I think that's a good size to shoot for, because then they'll still fit into a standard plastic sleeve.

In the picture below, the moo house in the middle is only 2-3/4 inches tall including the roof (in other words, it's the height of a regular moo even with the roof). The other 2 moo houses had the roof added to the top (or almost at the top) making them a little bit taller. I don't think there's anything wrong with either size. Maybe I should just set a minimum and maximum height, and anything within that range is OK.

Attachment 181408
    Last edited by Miss Iowa; 02-11-2017 at 12:34 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    This sounds like fun. I love moo houses! This will be my first "athon" but now that I'm retired I think I could really get into it. I'm very interested in participating in this one and I'm excited to add to my moo house collection.
    Maggie Mize🌻heymaggie
    💚💜💛💙🌸🖤🌼💙💛💜💚

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the invite. Unfortunately I'll be on holiday in San Diego/New Port Beach

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't dipped my toe in the moo ocean yet but these houses sound fun.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome HeyMaggie and NotinKansas! Glad to have you aboard!

AnitaM, I know the gals in SoCal will let you make some moo houses while you're here.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    MMMMOOOOOOO! I could try this.

Yes, please put some moo measurement or minimums in your first post. How wide? I have not made a moo, I had not needed a moo until today.
    Last edited by CastleQueen5; 02-12-2017 at 12:52 AM.