Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini-House-athon! March 10-13, 2017

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Mini-House-athon! March 10-14, 2017

Welcome to the Official Mini House-athon!!

Mark your calendars for March 10-13 and get ready to “BUST A MOO(ve) House.”

*** The Mini House-athon has officially been extended to midnight Tuesday, March 14! ***

This -athon is open to everyone; no sign-up is required! This thread will serve as the pre-athon chat and prep thread as well as the official active a-thon thread where we will gather as we make and trade our mini houses. Miss Iowa will be your hostess, but anyone is welcome to help by answering questions and chatting it up.

The Basics:

Start time: 12:00 a.m. Friday, March 10 (aka midnight Thursday night).
    End time: 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, March 14 (all dates and times are in your prospective time zone).

What To Make: Mini (Moo) Houses. Inchie houses also allowed! (Information on dimensions HERE.)

Mediums to Use: Any and all, as long as your art is original (no prints or copies please). You may paint, draw, ink, collage, stamp, sew, embroider, block print, mono-print, digitally alter, etc. Please keep chunky embellishments to a minimum and please use a sturdy base/substrate for your houses (watercolor paper, bristol, heavy cardstock, etc.).

Daily Themes/Subjects: All themes and subjects are welcome! However, if you need some inspiration, we offer the following OPTIONAL themes and challenges throughout the -athon.

Day 1 (Friday): Women. March is Women's History Month and International Women’s Day is March 8. From famous women in history to fictional icons like Marge Simpson (blue beehives rock!), women have shown that they can be tough and kind, smart and sassy. Let’s showcase the ladies throughout the -athon!

Day 2 (Saturday): Time. Daylight Saving Time ends in most U.S. states this weekend. Time to “Spring Forward” aka set your clock ahead one hour. What does time mean to you? Time flies when you’re having fun. Time waits for no (wo)man. There are a gazillion songs about time. If I Could Turn Back Time (Cher). Time after Time (Cindy Lauper). Time in a Bottle (Jim Croce). Perhaps you’re like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland, always running late.

Day 3 (Sunday): Monopoly! One of the world’s most popular board games since its inception in the early 1900s, Monopoly even has its own World Monopoly Day on March 19. Bonus points awarded if you use actual Monopoly game pieces to create your houses.

Day 4 (Monday): All Things Green! Think St. Patrick’s Day (March 17), Pantone’s 2017 color of the year (Greenery); Spring (March 20). We see green everywhere: frogs, paper money, green-eyed monsters, ferns, emeralds, limes, horses (in The Wizard of Oz, at least).

Day 5 (Tuesday): Pi(e) Day! Math geeks know that Pi (the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter) is 3.14. All the rest of us simply know that pie is yummy. Since Tuesday is March 14 (3/14), today's theme is anything Pi or Pie related.

Challenges (All Days):
    (1) Use board game pieces or other nontraditional “paper” as your substrate. For example, I plan to use Monopoly cards for the base of some of my houses.
    (2) Try a new technique or medium! Drag out that supply you just had to have and start experimenting. Maybe you want to learn how to Zentagle or watercolor? Now is the time to go for it!
    (3) Make a "Shmoo" House: a mini house that looks like a shoe!
    Last edited by Miss Iowa; 03-14-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    FAQs

1. How big is a Moo house? A moo house is always 1 inch wide but the height may vary a little. In height it should be no shorter than 2.75 inches and no taller than 3.25 inches once you include the roof. Most people cut an inchie in half diagonally to use as a roof, but you can use other shapes.

2. How big is an Inchie House? An inchie house is a one inch square plus whatever size roof you add on top. In general, most inchie houses are less than 1.5 inches tall.

3. How many houses can I trade? You can trade as many as you want! Moo houses may be traded 1:1, 2:2, 3:3, or even more! Inchie houses are usually traded in multiples but as in any trade, the final number is decided between you and the person you are trading with. You get more bang for your postage buck if you trade in multiples, so just go for it! I personally like to make mini houses that coordinate with one another and will say something like "these 2 mini houses traded as a pair only."

4. How do I trade? Simply ask via a private message! After you create your Mini House (or 2, or 3, or more!), post your creation to the –athon gallery (See instructions HERE) as well as here in the official Mini-House-athon thread. Arrange your trades via private message just like you would when trading an ATC. After you have agreed upon a trade, move your mini house from the –athon gallery to your own Traded gallery, so that ONLY available cards are in the –athon gallery.

5. Mailing Instructions. Complete your trades by mailing your mini houses within two weeks of the close of the –athon. Protect your mini houses by putting them in plastic sleeves. Two mini (moo) houses usually fit in a standard ATC sleeve. If you’re sending only one moo house, you can cut or fold the sleeve in half and tape the side to hold it in place. Four inchie houses usually fit in an ATC sleeve. Remember to put your user name on the backs of your houses, package them carefully, write Mini-House-athon 2017 on the outside of your envelope, and use sufficient postage!

6. Post -athon iTrader. Once you receive your mini houses in the mail, be sure to leave iTrader for your trading partner(s).
    Last edited by Miss Iowa; 03-07-2017 at 02:20 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    What We Used to Call "Housekeeping"

1. What is an ATHON? It’s a marathon create-your-favorite-art weekend, done over the same day and time in each time zone. It’s kind of like we're all together for the weekend to play with our art supplies, and this thread is our play room.

2. How it Works. Start creating art at the designated time, then upload your lovely creations to the A-thon Gallery (go to the Gallery to upload per usual, but choose 'A-thon Gallery' as the destination when asked on the UPLOAD page). Then post your creation in the thread to let everyone know that your mini-house is now available for trade. Continue creating, uploading, trading, and chatting until 11:59 p.m. Monday, March 13 in your time zone. Once the clock strikes midnight, stop creating art but continue to chat and trade as long as you like.

3. How To Ask for a Trade. When you find a piece of art you absolutely must have, send a personal message (PM) to its creator asking for a trade. (Please do not post requests for trades to the thread.) If a trade is arranged, exchange addresses. After the -athon is over, package up all your trades and send them on their merry way!

4. What if I see something I like, but it's already been traded? Don't despair! You can always show your appreciation by giving the artist YouRock! And maybe the two of you can agree to trade something else instead.

5. How to Upload Images to the -athon Gallery

For PC users:
    First, take a photo or scan of your mini house, save it to your PC, then:
    1. Click on Gallery
    2. When the page opens, Click on Upload
    3. When the page opens, under Category select -Athon Gallery
    4. Click Continue
    5. When the page opens click Browse, select the picture from your PC*
    6. Click open to add it
    7. Add your title and a description
    8. Then click upload
    *Make sure your image is saved as a jpg, and that the file size is not too large or too small. A size of 8-12 kb will be of sufficient size.

6. How to post/insert images in the thread.

All of these links are in the Site Support "How To" Forum. Please note that I am not a computer expert, which is why I'm linking to this information rather than writing it myself. I will try to help anyone having trouble uploading images, but my knowledge is limited to PCs. If you're using a Mac or a cell phone, we'll have to find someone else here to help you.

6a. For Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer Users

6b. For Internet Explorer if you have WYSIWYG editor turned on (super easy)

6c. To link a picture from your gallery to a thread AND show a thumbnail of the picture in the thread

6d. To Link an Image from your computer into a Post

6e. Using a cell phone to post a picture into a thread

6f. How to move your image from the -Athon Gallery to Mail Art-Traded and for Swaps (Do this after you've agreed to a trade.)

7. What if I have other questions?
    Just ask! You can PM the host, Miss Iowa, or simply post your question to the thread. We have a lot of experienced folks who are more than willing to help!
    Last edited by Miss Iowa; 03-07-2017 at 02:12 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK everyone, I need to take care of some things around the house, but will be back later to post some mini-house samples and to complete the information about how to use the -athon gallery when posting, etc. In the meantime, feel free to jump in and start chatting!

bluelotusflower is offline a thousand petals, a thousand paths
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thought I jumped on board earlier, but I guess I didn't push the reply button.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's the little things that end up being so important.

bluelotusflower is offline a thousand petals, a thousand paths
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Iowa View Post
    It's the little things that end up being so important.
    Ain't that the truth?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Besides, I would have come looking for you if you hadn't shown up on your own.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    So technically for this event we could make inchie houses? I have a bunch of Domino sized tiles cut up that are 1"x2"... would those also work then? Of course the tile would be the house - the roof would need to be added in separatly.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paradox: Let's stick to moo and inchie houses for the sake of the -athon, just to keep things from getting too complicated. That means for an inchie house, the base is 1 x 1 only.

That doesn't prevent you from making other sizes of houses which you can put in your regular gallery for trading; just don't post them in the -athon gallery or in this thread during the -athon.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guilty as charged!

In my defense, I'm also doing laundry and shredding a bunch of old work stuff while I'm here.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    hoping to play a little. my art table is covered with a sewing project im working on so if i can clear a little space ill try to make some houses.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Checking in
    If I haven't said thank you for a kind comment, please know that they are very much appreciated.
    Envie Addicts Unite! February
    Instagram Calm After The Holidaze
    A Mynah Production blog

jfaskdown is offline We are all artists at heart.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Checking in too!
    It's another beautiful day!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Checking in!

Theresagram is offline I have Circus Elbows and Barbie Doll Knees
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I've been in a Moo(d) for Moo's lately!! I'll be around!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Welcome to theweavershand, Kwailin, jfaskdown, NotinKansas, and Theresa!

So glad to have all of you here for the -athon.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    To whet your appetites: Here's a sample moo house I made using a four-leaf clover from an advertising insert in our local paper today. Thought I would also show the back of the house, in case you're wondering what it looks like.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! Those images turned out huge. Guess you'll have no trouble seeing all the details. LOL