Extinct Birds, Open Medium: Due May 18, 2017

G

goatgirl

Inactive
Swap Due Date: May 18, 2017

Signup/withdraw date - open; please be sure to notify me ASAP if you need to withdraw so we can open up any spots for people who might be on a waiting list. No cards and lack of communication will result in neutral i-trader.

Number of Cards - 3 for 3
Number of participants: 30
Medium:
Open to all original work except 100% digital/photography; standard 2.5 X 3.5" Please do more than just put the image of the bird on your card. Challenge yourself--use lots of layers, elements, and different mediums--do something your fellow swappers will love to add to their collection!

SWAP DIRECTIONS:

So I'm currently hosting the Songbird Series, and one of my players mentioned that she was collecting extinct bird ATC's. I thought that was a really cool topic, hence this swap! Thanks, Dee! :)

For this swap, you will make three REALISTIC bird cards (a different bird on each card) featuring EXTINCT birds. Sadly, there are many, so this might turn into a series, as well, if there is enough interest. Here's a list to get you started: Extinct Birds

Some of these birds have amazing nests and beautiful eggs--you may also include those on your cards, but the bird should also be included. It would also be great if you caught birds in flight, or eating, or doing something other than just sitting on a branch (although it's fine if they are), or even baby birds--this will help add variety to your collection!

Please be sure to include the NAME of the actual bird on the back of your card (not just the "family" of birds). You can include it on the front if you wish, (artfully, please) but that is optional.

I will swap effort for effort, and generally medium for medium, although there may be some variation in your returns depending on how many people sign up to play.

Please do more than just put the image of the bird on your card. Challenge yourself--use lots of layers, elements, and different mediums--do something your fellow swappers will love to add to their collection!

If you are able, please post images of your ATCs to the thread so we can enjoy your artwork. Also, please let me know when you put your ATCs in the mail, as this helps me keep track of things.

MAILING INSTRUCTIONS: Be sure to send forever stamps, or use/send adequate postage!

1. Please enclose each ATC in a protective sleeve; mail your cards in a business-sized envelope, and send a self-addressed, business-sized envelope with a forever postage stamp. THIS IS IMPORTANT! Smaller envelopes do not handle the extra thickness of several ATCs very well. I've had too many small envelopes arrive at my house partially opened on one end. If you use embellishments or thick plastic ATC holders that require your envelope to be hand-canceled because of bumpiness, extra thickness, rigidity, or extra weight, you must include an additional 22 cents PER ATC.

International participants, please send $1 (U.S.) or loose U.S. postage (global stamp), along with a large self-addressed envelope. If you use embellishments or thick plastic ATC holders that require your envelope to be hand-canceled because of bumpiness, extra thickness, rigidity, or extra weight, you must include an additional 22 cents PER ATC. No Paypal option.

2. PM me when you are ready for my address. Please be sure to put my address in the top left-hand corner of your return envelope.

3. Label both envelopes with your AFA name and swap name. Also, be sure to include this information on the back of each ATC, and enclose each in an ATC sleeve.

4. I am an on-time hostess! Be sure to mail in plenty of time so your cards reach me before the deadline. Late cards or cards not following these guidelines/postage will be returned to the owner.

5. Please do NOT tape your envelope to death! If you tape the flap closed, please leave at least an inch free on either end so I can easily tear open your envelope without damaging the cards inside.

6. When you receive your cards for the swap, remember to leave iTrader for the Host (me) and Rep Points for the people you received cards from. Just click on the blue link for each person's name!

Participants:
1. Deereceived
2. Geonekwithdrawn
3. spineofafish received
4. LeeBeth withdrawn
5. ceciliahg11 received
6. KeriandtheFlock withdrawn
7. sunderance withdrawn
8. dcfieldview received
9. sillylily41 received
10. beaksalot received
11. Lizzzabelll received

Last edited:
This is really interesting. There are so many more extinct birds than I realized. I'm not ready to sign up, but will keep this in mind! :)

Welcome Geonek and spineofafish! Good to see two more familiar names to add to this swap. :) TSMarie, I hope you'll be back. Yes, I was really surprised when I realized how many extinct birds there were. I'm sure we'll all learn a lot with this swap.

One bird I just read about is the Passenger pigeon from North America, once considered the most numerous bird in the world.

Check it out online @ Autobon: Why the Passenger Pigeon Went Extinct

Sorry, I was unable to secure the link.

And while the stories of extinct birds are tragic and sad, I feel I owe them a little something, and that is to know their stories and remember they were here. And I believe that is a good thing.

KeriandtheFlock, welcome! It looks like you are new to AFA, so don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions! Happy to have you as part of this swap!

First, hostess cards are never required, but always appreciated if you send one! I find that most artists let the hostess pick, but sometimes artists like to specify a particular card for the hostess, so do what you like on that. :)

Welcome sunderance! It looks like your new, so welcome to AFA, and let me know if you have any questions about how things work!

Lizzabelll, I hope you'll be back to sign up! Welcome dcfieldview--I already pmed you my address for the songbirds swap. Let me know if you have any questions!

Back
Top Bottom