Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trash to Treasure Art a thon starts Apirl 2nd

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to have a go at this. Very new and not done one of these before but it sounds like fun

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jo.on.the.go View Post
    You won't believe this: I just saved lint from the clothes dryer! I have the best idea for it!

Are you going to tell us? I think that is either a challenge or an extra theme for Friday. You decide but please do tell! Now I am off to google ideas for that. Cause hey I have dryer lint. Unfortunately it has pet hair in it. I have lots of pets and hair. 4 cats and 4 dogs. The big dog is the hair depositor. The tiny dogs just have itty bitty hairs.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zandradee View Post
    One time I noticed an old cookie sheet with an interesting rust pattern on it. I pointed it out to my husband. He said, "Oh, are you going to cut it out and stick it on a card?"

I am lurking. Time-specific may not work for me, but I'd like to try.

I would be tempted to squirt it with water and lay some paper over it. To see what happens.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zandradee View Post
    Many questions. First, you talk about posting first to one's Athon Gallery and from there to the thread. I'm not sure what an Athon Gallery is - is it an actual labelled subset of the Gallery? I usually bypass the Gallery completely and just post to the thread. Is that okay?

Are you committed to create and participate each day?

Instead of a medical ad, could I use the leaflet from a prescription medication?
    I just copied and pasted the main info from other art athon. But yes, there is a part of the gallery for art a thons, Just like there is an area for traded, and available cards. Posting to the thread is fine. Bypassing the gallery is fine, but you might want to add them to your gallery since you might have some left over to trade.

No you are not committed to participate every day or even to do the prompts aka known as daily themes. I promise I wont be taking a roll call. If you notice there isn't even a list of players. This is very laid back, in that sense, but wow it can be frantic in our production of super cards.

I will edit that to add Leaflet from a prescription medication. I have made some fun cards with the words may cause heart palpitation and or dizziness. Or do not operate heavy machinery. etc.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see you all who logged in. Thanks for stopping by. We start SUNDAY!! I am so excited. I am off to update the front. Adding the lint for a reminder to myself.
    Last edited by CastleQueen5; 03-29-2017 at 11:34 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like fun! I hope to play.
    Looking for great postage stamps for art? Check out my Etsy shop!

jo.on.the.go is offline going, going, always going...would you believe Mongolia?
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm....dog hair. Back in the days when I had a dog and had lots of dog hair, I heard about a lady who would spin people's dog hair into yarn and then make sweaters out of it. Only problem...when the sweater got wet, smelled like wet dog!

I think I'll be using my clothes dryer lint as wool for drawings of sheep!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lurking

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jo.on.the.go View Post
    Hmmmm....dog hair. Back in the days when I had a dog and had lots of dog hair, I heard about a lady who would spin people's dog hair into yarn and then make sweaters out of it. Only problem...when the sweater got wet, smelled like wet dog!

I think I'll be using my clothes dryer lint as wool for drawings of sheep!

My lint is red most of the time. I have heard about spinning pet hairs into yarn. Sometimes I just love my doggie's doggy smell. Sometimes I shower extra long to make sure I don't smell bad like my dog.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see you Cynthia and seascape. Lurk away since you wont be penalized if you don't find time to play. I guess in a way we are all lurking till we create something, But hey we do need a cheering section. So lurkers can be the cheering squad.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope I can play!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CastleQueen5 View Post

This is adorable! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to do my best to participate, but I'm on jury duty the first 2 weeks of April. Do you think they'll mind if I bring glue, scissors and pre-cut ATCs and start cutting out stuff from the magazines they have sitting around to keep jurors busy? Maybe I can rummage through the judge's garbage for some interesting bits and pieces!!

Also, jo.on.the.go -- I don't know which Michaels you went to that gave away mat board, but I used to be a framer at Fresno Michaels and we were specifically told NEVER to give any scraps away. EVERYTHING that wasn't used for framing was required to be thrown in the garbage (not even recycled, the jerks). We weren't allowed to have bags or purses or anything like that in the framing shop with us, just in case we might want to save some trash to use in art. Seriously! They were strict about that. I did visit a Ben Franklin's once that sold scraps, and I have been to independent frame shops here in my little PNW town that will give some scraps if you ask, but they mostly save them to give to the art teachers at schools since, you know, art isn't valued in the U.S. and teachers beg for supplies.

On the other hand, libraries throw out terrific things that you can scrounge from the dumpsters. I worked in libraries, too, and have tons of over 100-year-old magazine advertisements and books. I also discovered that recycling dumpsters at universities are great sources for "art supplies." Oh, and university libraries remove book covers and often will let you go through them to take what you want.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CastleQueen5 View Post
    I see you all who logged in. Thanks for stopping by. We start Friday!! I am so excited. I am off to update the front. Adding the lint for a reminder to myself.
    Are we starting on Friday or is that a mistake?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dsign49 View Post
    Are we starting on Friday or is that a mistake?

Dang it we don't start Friday. Darn! We start April 2nd and that is a Sunday.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    CastleQueen5 you were just having a senior moment.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    This sounds like fun. I'm not sure if I'll have time, but will at least lurk -- and play if I can.

Just to be sure I understand, we post in image HERE on the day of a particular topic. Then we can trade privately, if we want to. But there is no group swap. Right?

As for possible topics ...

yarn/thread/fabric scraps
    safety pins/ paper clips
    buttons

Would you please explain "challenges"? What does that entail?

Thanks.
    Interested in haiku? New ku thread for fun...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    You got it right Lois, no group swap.

Just play, creates, post some photos and make private trades.

Ok a challenge is usually something like Use the Transfer tape method for a card, or use melted crayons. I see a challenge as more of technique challenge. Or dust of the embossing heat gun. etc. Sometime the challenges have links to you tube tutorials.

Past art-a-thons, also had use only gold and silver, use only staples as adhesives etc.