Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspired by Abstract Impressionism—Pollack, Gorky and De Kooning: Due July 21, 2017

BluSkyHare is offline creating daily soothes the soul
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ann---I bet you feel the same way most people do about abstract art. BUT....maybe once you study it, and some of it's artists a bit more, AND try this style yourself you may love it. I like this style, (of which there are actually so many) because it is about expressing an emotion of a memory or the subject of the painting. My favs are Pollock, Calder, and Jasper Johns. Every time i go to the Massachusetts Museum of Art I make sure to see their Pollock.
    Now Hosting--Pretty Tissue Box Background Swap--due Jan 18
    I appreciate your comments!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi sarat, please sign me up.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

You are in!

Quote Originally Posted by BluSkyHare View Post
    Hi sarat, please sign me up.
    So glad you decided to jump in.
    Hosting a swap: Winter Wonderland . Due February 23, 2018
    http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?34802-Winter-Wonderland-Swap-Due-February-23-2018. Come and play.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im in! Can you PM me your address? Mine are done and I will post a pic as soon as I can figure out how to from my new tablet.
    I love to trade, take a look at my gallery and PM me!

jo.on.the.go is offline going, going, always going...GONE
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I want to join...but I am confused about the difference between abstract expressionism and abstract impressionism. What are you looking for, or does it really make a difference? I found deKooning and Pollack on lists of both abstract expressionists and abstract impressionists. Does it really matter what style we use, or can I just make an abstract painting showing emotions and not worry about the terminology? Or should I just make some abstracts "in the style of" deKooning and Pollack?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

You are in!

Quote Originally Posted by Cindylou View Post
    Im in! Can you PM me your address? Mine are done and I will post a pic as soon as I can figure out how to from my new tablet.
    Welcome!!! I sent you my address. Wow! you are fast.
    http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?34802-Winter-Wonderland-Swap-Due-February-23-2018. Come and play.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by jo.on.the.go View Post
    I think I want to join...but I am confused about the difference between abstract expressionism and abstract impressionism. What are you looking for, or does it really make a difference? I found deKooning and Pollack on lists of both abstract expressionists and abstract impressionists. Does it really matter what style we use, or can I just make an abstract painting showing emotions and not worry about the terminology? Or should I just make some abstracts "in the style of" deKooning and Pollack?
    Yikes--You always ask good questions and I am not sure I am prepared to answer specifically. Generally I like to give a general idea and as the swap says--this is inspired art with a theme. You are amazing artist so I say go with your inspiration.

I did find this that might be helpful:

Abstract impressionism (closely related to lyrical abstraction) is a type of abstract painting (not to be confused with abstract expressionism) where small brushstrokes or application with a palette knife build and structure larger surface areas. The artist's emotion and focus on inner energy, and sometimes contemplation, create expressive, lyrical and thoughtful qualities in the paintings. The brushstrokes are similar to those of impressionists such as Monet and post-impressionists such as van Gogh and Seurat, only tending toward abstraction. While in the action painting style of abstract expressionism brushstrokes were often large and bold and paint was applied in a rapid outpouring of emotion and energy, the Abstract Impressionist's short and intense brushstrokes or non-traditional application of paints and textures is often done slowly and with purpose

jo.on.the.go is offline going, going, always going...GONE
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your reply about abstract art. Please sign me up. I was painting today and what I created should be fine. I just need to wait for the paint to thoroughly dry before I can scan and post to the thread.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

I am doing my happy dance

Quote Originally Posted by jo.on.the.go View Post
    Thanks for your reply about abstract art. Please sign me up. I was painting today and what I created should be fine. I just need to wait for the paint to thoroughly dry before I can scan and post to the thread.
    I am sure your art will be awesome.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have played a LOT with this. I might post pics some time. It's very difficult on a small scale to achieve the freedom. Some I have worked larger then cut up.

Eye candy would be great so I can tell if I'm on the right track.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've found the same problem when I've created for sarat's other Inspired By swaps. Sometimes I create on a larger sheet of card stock and then choose the best spot to cut to ATC size.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by BluSkyHare View Post
    I've found the same problem when I've created for sarat's other Inspired By swaps. Sometimes I create on a larger sheet of card stock and then choose the best spot to cut to ATC size.
    And to ann-stebbing too:

Such an interesting technique. I know when I have received art cards and I can see the smaller pieces and if I put them together I can see a bigger one too. I love it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well here are some pictures of the ones I chose, after much deliberation. The red one is interesting. I've no idea why but it's almost 3D and looks as if there is a transparent layer in there somewhere,which there isn't. Something to do with the order of the colours perhaps?

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gall...x.php?n=504788

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I see I've not signed up. Sign me up I hope my cards are OK. I will get them off today.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by ann_stebbing View Post
    Well here are some pictures of the ones I chose, after much deliberation. The red one is interesting. I've no idea why but it's almost 3D and looks as if there is a transparent layer in there somewhere,which there isn't. Something to do with the order of the colours perhaps?

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gall...x.php?n=504788
    They are all so interesting and different. Love them. And I will sign you up. SO glad you jumped in.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sillylily41: Your art has arrived!! Interesting pieces.
    Love the colors and shiny texture.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    For all my talk about loving this theme, I've been neglecting working on my cards for it! I've searched my feelings and I think I'm feeling intimidated too.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes! I know that feeling too. Hope your muse will let you play with the theme and have fun.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    No worries BluSkyHare - I'm sure you'll have some great cards. It has been helpful to me being married to an art historian. She helps explain the difference between abstract impressionism vs post painterly abstraction vs other forms of abstraction.

My take is that Sarat wants thoughtful abstraction, and that some of these hard labels aren't quite as important (yes?) It is fascinating how dominant abstraction became after World War II.
    One can only dream of what never was
    and as for what "really is,"
    remember:
    it doesn't exist.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course, you're right pancake machine. I just love this genre and especially Jackson Pollack so much. I will just have to get a glass of wine, choose some colors and let go.