Thread: collage organization

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

collage organization

hi all. although I do a mixed bag of cards, I really Do like collage. but I need a lot of material to choose what may be 'just right' for an area. so I save pieces of magazines, pieces of scrapbook paper, it seems pieces of Everything. but it's like quite a few other arts or crafts..your supplies are only as good as you can access them. I don't mind looking through a shoe box but I would like to have some organization of papers and supplies. how do you go about your organization?
    color? subject? boxes? clear bags? would like to know what works for you.
    thanks, andi

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm interested in the answers for this one. I'm finding organizing to be a challenge.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh boy, you and me both.

BluSkyHare is offline creating daily soothes the soul
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, here's my 2 cents. Paper "scraps" I organize by theme into large single pocket file folders; "animals", "textural", "text", "nature", etc. All "3-D" stuff like paper flowers, gems, stickers, bits & pieces, I keep by type in gallon or quart size baggies in shoe boxes for each. All my hard stamps I keep in large, clear plastic boxes meant for scrapbook paper (I can easily see what's in each box). My paints, pens, inks, etc. I keep on my table top in plastic trays with different sized dividers. My stencils and flexible stamps I keep in a plastic table top storage cabinet with drawers. My inkstamp pads I keep in shoe box. I don't want to spend my money on organizing stuff, but on supplies, so I just try to keep stuff "generally" organized.
    Now Hosting--Pretty Tissue Box Background Swap--due Jan 18
    I appreciate your comments!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey, great ideas! I really like the idea of gall or qt bags in shoe boxes. I don't have too much problem with anything but paper items or embellishments. you give really good tips for organization...super thanks. (as I run upstairs looking for shoe boxes)
    andi

BluSkyHare is offline creating daily soothes the soul
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you like my ideas. You could also use gall bags for your paper, keeping a large piece of card stock or cardboard at the back for stability.
    Now Hosting--Pretty Tissue Box Background Swap--due Jan 18
    I appreciate your comments!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a good idea. I was keeping small scraps, organized by color, in a 3 ring binder with a piece of card stock. But it started getting too fat very quickly.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I organize patterned paper scraps by size in different bins. Very small go in a lidded container and I have a drawer in one of those tiered plastic units for medium sized scraps. Anything too big for the medium bin goes in a 12x12 plastic container. Going by size for these types of scraps works best for me because when I need them, it's usually to fill a specific space of a certain size...and I like to be inspired by whatever color/style of paper I might find while digging around.

I keep collage images sorted by subject in different accordion style organizers. And I have a small pencil box where I keep small ATC-sized images - some of which have already been fussy cut out. I keep printed collage sheets in pocket folders (which are kept in magazine organizers). But most of the collage images I have live in their original books/magazines still which keeps them organized without too much interference from me.

I scored a bunch of clear VHS boxes at a recycling center and use them to store used postage, die-cuts and small rubber stamps. They're my favorite containers because they're only about as big as a book and you can stash them anywhere - plus they're clear.

The best tip I can offer you is to try different storage options and see how they work for you and your style of creating. Different strokes for different folks. It's a real process trying to stay organized as a collage artist, but it's worth it. Just take a critical look at your process and go from there. When I decided to sort out my scraps by size, it was like some kind of phenomenal revelation, lol.

ETA: I just did a blog post on my paper stash & storage methods - https://cutpastesteph.blogspot.com/2...ome-paper.html
    Last edited by stephiedee; 06-24-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Theresagram is offline I have Circus Elbows and Barbie Doll Knees
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have several methods for organizing my collage stuff.

I have a big bin for 'scrap paper', all sizes and colors. It's easy enough to go thru the whole box...I sometimes find stuff I forgot I had and set it aside for something.

I have a big 'horse feed bucket', Attachment 185198 that holds all kinds of books and mags for cutting up.

I love using fish for atc's, wonky houses and art journals, so I have a Michael's photo box (shoe box type) full of fish I've cut out of books.

I use the smaller photo boxesAttachment 185197 for other stuff. One for fun bits of paper, etc I want to use for moo's. One for animals I want to use for zetti stuff. And I have over 5,000 rubber stamps...so when I'm not working on anything in particular, I stamp images and trim them down. I put them in the plastic photo boxes to be colored and used later.

Then I have a large plastic bin for flat ephemera and another for 3d stuff.
    Last edited by Theresagram; 08-29-2017 at 09:14 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    you all are so cool...thanks for the tips.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use an expanding paper organiser like this:

I have different sections for patterned paper, coloured paper, postage stamps, small images, "texture" images, people images, etc etc.

Edit: sorry that image is so large! Not sure how to make it smaller...
    Last edited by HHC; 08-10-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    organization .... for a collage collector ????
    I have a ROOM.... and it full of all things collage... tubs, folders, all sizes of boxes...
    after 9, 10 years my stash has grown into ROoM size... not what size style box...
    my stuff is in anything and everything.... HELP... I'm addicted to collage....
    Ain't Life Just Ducky

Theresagram is offline I have Circus Elbows and Barbie Doll Knees
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zilliah View Post
    I use an expanding paper organiser like this:

I have different sections for patterned paper, coloured paper, postage stamps, small images, "texture" images, people images, etc etc.

Edit: sorry that image is so large! Not sure how to make it smaller...
    I used to use something similar but things kept disappearing through the cracks at the bottom.

Loladog is offline I got my creativity from my Father
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Such great ideas!!!!!
    All inspiring!
    Loladog

Faith Art Group: Using His Art Box

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I've been creating collages for a few years, but just came up with the sandwich bag idea.
    I keep an accordion color file for all of my big pieces & I'm constantly adding to it. For smaller pieces (<2" by 2") I use baggies and sort by color first. Then I put flora and fauna images in one section, and places and things in another. You could organize your stickers like this too. Let me know if this is helpful.
    Last edited by Collagaint Ashley; 09-21-2017 at 09:53 PM.