Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: World Watercolor Month July 31 paintings 31 days challenge

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    And hey there all of you watercolorists. I just discovered that Golden Paints is offering a special deal through participating art dealers. With the purchase of any two 11 ml tubes of QoR watercolors, artists will receive a Sample Set of three 5 ml tubes of QoR for FREE. The colors in the sampler set are nickel azo yellow, quinocridon magenta, and ultramarine blue. Jerrysartarama.com and AFA sponsor DickBlick.com are both participating dealers. So if you have an urge to try something new and different, you may be interested in this deal. And for those of you that don't know, if you go to the DickBlick site by clicking the link on the AFA homepage and then make a purchase, AFA will get a small percentage monetary donation to use towards operating costs of this site.
    Now hosting NOVEMBER Canvas Board Mail Art Trade, and OCTOBER Canvas Board Mail Art Trade.
    Coming mid November (soon, real soon): postage stamp extending the scene III

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    #1 & 2: I decided on a theme, at least for my first several pieces for this challenge--finishing ideas I started or sketched but haven't gotten around to finishing. So far, so good! Here are 2 twinchies I started for a trade a couple months ago but ended up making different ones for the trade...a llama & a scottish coo...

AND...
    Here's a cute little article I came across extolling the virtues of daily painting.
    https://danjohnson.co/2015/04/08/6-t...aily-painting/

Here are my favorites of Dan's lessons:
    -"Daily" doesn't necessarily mean daily
    -Every piece doesn't have to be a masterpiece
    -Regular painting builds confidence
    Last edited by KPinAK; 07-02-2017 at 01:21 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

1 July

They are so cute KPinAK. I did an experiment. I wanted to try watercolour on canvas board. It's not that great as the texture is odd. The colours seem brighter too. I guess that has something to do with the lack of absorbency on the canvas. Today I ordered some of the stuff nightowl put a link on for and will do a comparison when it arrives. Here it is anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ann_stebbing; 07-02-2017 at 06:10 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rhona, I have those water filled brushes, never used, I think I got them for calligraphy. What a great idea for painting. I will get them out today and give them a try.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh boy Seascape! I love that elephant. Jo.on.the.go love that frog too. I got some sepia ink yesterday as I love the way you use it in many of your cards. I thought black was too heavy, so that's yet another thing I am going to try. This is turning into something of an adventure. I'm going to be busy.
    Last edited by ann_stebbing; 07-02-2017 at 06:20 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet Elephant Seascape. I have such a soft spot for Ellie's.

Jo, great job on the frog. I like the loose style on both yours and Seascapes watercolour paintings.

Speaking of watercolours ... Check out next month's prize for the monthly ATC Contest. What I wouldn't give for that pan of watercolours! But the theme for this contest would be difficult for me as I wouldn't know where to begin in trying to render a mythical creature.
    "Art is not always an expression, and is often, simply, a problem worth trying to solve while drinking a bit of vodka. " ~ Donavon Rose

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Barn

watercolor - 7X9

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I must be tired this morning. I didn't even see KPinAk's and Ann's posting. Well done ladies! I just love your animals KPinAK. It looks like you had to do many layers to achieve such nice texture and on a twinchie? Wow!

Ann I think that watercolour on canvas turned out great! I love this wee house on the coastline. Reminds me of the colourful houses on Canada's east coast.
    "Art is not always an expression, and is often, simply, a problem worth trying to solve while drinking a bit of vodka. " ~ Donavon Rose

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMGosh Seascape! A red barn. Oh, this piece reminds me of my time as a youth growing up in eastern Canada farm country. SIgh ... Love it!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice picture Seascape. Is it Atc size? Mine today is. My nemesis (well one of them) is faces, so that's what I tried today

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    THANK YOU FOR LIKING MY ELLIE AND BARN, GUYS!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOVE THE POSTINGS SO FAR, GREAT, JO, KPinAK, ANN_STEBBING and anyone I may have missed, such a great idea, this thread, thank you nightowl

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    love posting from rhonapaints..one I missed!

jo.on.the.go is online now going, going, always going...going to CA and VA next
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    July 2 - Vermont Fall
    Last edited by jo.on.the.go; 08-09-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely, Jo...I love barns

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ann_Stebbing, my barn today is NOT ATC size, it is a 9 x 7 size. Thank you for asking.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seascape131 View Post
    Ann_Stebbing, my barn today is NOT ATC size, it is a 9 x 7 size. Thank you for asking.
    9x7 WOW! That's huge! And very well done!

and jo.on.the.go did a lovely red barn too. Two red barns two different styles. So cool
    Now hosting NOVEMBER Canvas Board Mail Art Trade, and OCTOBER Canvas Board Mail Art Trade.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the face you did there ann_stebbing. I think it turned out great. I especially like that it is at an angle as opposed to square on side view or front view.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! This thread ROCKS!!! I'm so glad you started this thread, Nightowl, though I do have a bit of a bone to pick with you...stay tuned. I have a lot to write (Now did THAT get everyone's attention or what? heehee)

Seascape, I love your elephant and especially your barn! I love "architectural" pieces, so seeing your & Jo's barns & Ann's seaside house just get me motivated to paint. Except I've missed hours I could have been painting thanks to Nightowl. More on that later

Jo, awesome frog & barn. I've been thinking of you because (1) a bunch of the unfinished pieces I want to complete this month are ink or pencil sketches from travel magazines, kind of like the pieces you've awarded when you've done your "where is it?" contest. ALSO, I'm taking a "pen & ink with watercolor wash" class later this month and am planning to basically, well, copy your style. That's the highest form of flattery in the art world, right? I need to learn to loosen up and, in my opinion, Jo, you are master shimmier of loose & beautiful ink sketches with washes.

Rhona, LOVE those dramatic clouds! And thanks for the idea of how you use that silly little Koi water brush. I definitely like the idea of squirting out a little puddle of water to use. Trying to use squeeze the water as I paint has just given me FITS (the 2 times I tried). Instead I've been traveling with a cheapo ProArt (the brand I can buy at my grocery store if you can believe it) brush whose hairs get all mangled but I won't cry if I lose the brush. I also replaced all the little pans of color in my Koi travel kit with my own paints (mostly Windsor & Newton artist grade but moving more toward Daniel Smith & now...QoR....Rrrrrr....). I do love that Koi kit otherwise, though!

Ann, I love your seaside house. And the face you painted--beautiful!!! I'm so impressed you're working outside your comfort zone with faces. I'm also honored you trust us all with showing us your work in that as-yet-uncomfortable area. Next stop, #29faces in September!!! If no one else starts a thread for that sometime in August, I will. Same thing a few of us did in February, which was when I first started painting faces. And now I'll paint ANYONE! The end result may not look like the original person, but I get pretty excited to paint faces now.

Now to you Nightowl. So...I thought, "cool deal! I can try some QoR's for myself. My buddy Rapa likes them so they must be great!". Two hours later, I have my Blick order all set. I even remembered to go through the AFA link to get to Blick.

But do I limit myself to 2 tubes of QoR????? No!!!! I decide I need about 6 new tubes of acrylic (for more on that obsession, see my Bob Burridge thread). Oh, and while I'm here I'll get some more full sheets (22x30") of watercolor for the next Bob Burridge workshop I'm taking at the end of July. Then I decide I better sleep on it before I place my order.

I wake up remembering one of my 100+ favorite Bob Burridge secrets. Do you all what to know? It relates to watercolor. You know how Fabriano is one of the top-end watercolor papers? Well guess what! Bob visited their factory in Italy. He watched them take out the die that stamps "Fabriano" as the watermark on the Fabriano paper, replace it with a "Kilimanjaro" watermark die (the Cheap Joe's brand of watercolor paper) AND KEEP MAKING THE PAPER! Same exact process, same exact materials, just special made for Joe at about 1/2 the cost.

Cheap Joe's (cheapjoes.com Idonotreceivekickbacks) *DOES* also offer the special QoR deal Nightowl mentioned. So I put together the same order on Cheap Joe's to see how it compared. WOOHOO! (1) if you spend more than $90 you get $10 off right now, EVEN on sale items (Blick applies their purported discounts only to regular-priced items) and (2) Cheap Joe's shipping to Alaska was only $20 instead of Blick's $35. Oh, then of course I decided I need one of those travel brushes with a reversible handle.

Long story short: In the interest of getting about $15 of QoR for free, I was also able to get $10 off, then save $15 on shipping! What a bargain! (note I did not mention how much I actually did spend. Let's just say no lattes for Karen for the rest of the year).

OK--NOW I can paint!!
    Last edited by KPinAK; 07-02-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    two hours, two tubes QoR, 6 tubes acrylic, watercolor paper....sounds about right - LOL You are an art supplies junkie like me!

Before you finally place that order check out these Da Vinci Cosmotop Spin brushes Da Vinci Cosmotop Spin travel brushes. You need these KP. They are good quality and are fabulous for fitting in a pocket for on the go. One end screws into the other. And you are are also going to need one of these Caran d"Ache Museum Aquarelle waterbrush. It only lets a drop of water out the tip when you squeeze the button. No more flooding your paper with the other type waterbrush. And there is a trick with filling it. You fill it like a piston, then twist the handle and push the handle back in to make it more compact. Most people don't know that trick and think it is too long to be convenient for travel when filled. Lets see.....what else..... - LOL