Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: World Watercolor Month July 31 paintings 31 days challenge

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KPinAK View Post
    In the interest of getting about $15 of QoR for free, I was also able to get $10 off, then save $15 on shipping! What a bargain! (note I did not mention how much I actually did spend. Let's just say no lattes for Karen for the rest of the year).

Well of course you need to keep spending until you get the best shipping discount. Otherwise you're doing it wrong - LOL
    Now hosting NOVEMBER Canvas Board Mail Art Trade, and OCTOBER Canvas Board Mail Art Trade.
    Coming mid November (soon, real soon): postage stamp extending the scene III

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    KPinAK..I have used Kilimanjaro watercolor paper and it is very nice... You will like it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using Kilimanjaro for a few months now & I do love it. I kept getting these little tiny hairs on the end of my brush & at first thought it was little cotton fibers coming off the paper. Then I realized it was little hairs coming off DH's cat. I guess I shouldn't be surprising considering how much hair gathers everywhere else in the house. Perhaps I should close my paintbox when I'm not using. But then I might not hear my colors when they call out yo me, "cooooommmme paaaaaiint with us!!!"

Here's what the voices told me to paint today--#3: a gumball moo (1x2.75")
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always feel like I need to let my paints in the pans dry before I close the cover of the box. Do moist pan watercolors ever get mold? Perhaps I'm crazy for worrying about that.

Here is #2 from me. Right now I don't like it. It seems overworked, has too many brush strokes and is kind of sloppy. Ah well, they can't all be good right?

IMG_4382.jpg
    Now hosting NOVEMBER Canvas Board Mail Art Trade, and OCTOBER Canvas Board Mail Art Trade.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nightowl, great bird! I personally don't have a problem with overworked. We should come up with a different word, like how people now call used stuff "repurposed". Maybe "rugged" or "distressed" or "edgy".

I suppose the paint could get moldy or mildewy. I wonder why it doesn't mold in the tube, though? I've always let my blobs of paint dry, too, but largely that's just what happens when indoor humidity is about 0% a large part of the year up here.

I may work on this a little more. I'll get input from my resident 13-yr-old airplane expert in the morning. This is my #4, a 1933 Stinson I took a photo of at the Seattle Air Museum in May.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    You girls are SO naughty, you temptresses. I have an art room FULL of stuff but that never seems to stop me ordering more stuff I read about. Yesterday it was the Qor stuff, thanks? nightowl, then I'd been out to get more pencils for the Edx drawing course, (must have the full range) but did I stick to pencils? Of course not, yet ANOTHER drawing pad, found 7 more whilst looking for something else when I got home, a kneadable rubber, didn't have one of those in my collection, ooh and one of those little sandpaper blocks, well you've got to, apparently. Anyway, I wanted some Posca paint pens, they didn't have any. I only have white and a girl's got to have colours, so of course they went on the order too. It's a good job I don't use the joint account, I know he doesn't mind but I would feel guilty. Well I do - just a tad

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

At the ocean

watercolor - ATC size

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the seascape, Seascape.

jo.on.the.go is offline going, going, always going...going to CA and VA next
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    July 3 - Glacier, Canada
    Last edited by jo.on.the.go; 08-09-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another contest from one of the sponsors. For those that may be interested and didn't see this on the World Watercolor Month Facebook page, Cheap Joe's is sponsoring a weekly prize giveaway in conjunction with doodlewash.com. Here is the link cheap-joe's art stuff weekly world watercolor month giveaway
    Last edited by nightowl_too; 07-04-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ann_stebbing View Post
    You girls are SO naughty, you temptresses. I have an art room FULL of stuff but that never seems to stop me ordering more stuff I read about.
    Well you're among your own kind here for sure We all love new art supplies

Quote Originally Posted by AmySi View Post
    Sounds fun - I'm in!
    Hi AmySi. Good to so you here watercoloring along with us!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fabulous plane KP. Great ocean from Seascape, and beautiful pen and wash glacier from jo! I love the eye candy

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got home from work early....yippee! I'm sitting outside watching the fireflies put on a show. Later I will fire up the paintbrush and get a day 3 painting going.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great Seascape, Seascape! And your glacier painting is beautiful, Jo!

I didn't realize there were prompts until today! Not that I'm planning to follow them anyway. But I know this sort of thing helps some folks narrow the playing field...

And here's my #5, Clingstone House in Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island. My son & I rode by this house last month...
    Last edited by KPinAK; 07-03-2017 at 11:00 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gorgeous, KPinAK! And thanks for posting the prompts. I'm always looking for prompts!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just happened across this *amazing* watercolor resource.
    https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/water.html

I've perused only about 1% of it so far. It's an exhaustive comparison of watercolor papers, paints, brushes, palettes, etc. Here's my favorite part of the intro:

"John Marin wrote to an admirer requesting advice:

You are to heed what I say and go on a — watercolor — debauch — it's quantity — not quality — you are after — not to take this too literally — but what I mean is to get in front of any old landscape and spend reams of paper and paint on it — painting 3 or 4 a day — and then at the end of the season — you'll — if you are naturally gifted — have learned something about watercolor — then naturally you'll come to quality."

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well then if it's quantity I need to get to quality this 31 in 31 should do me some good. Thanks for sharing that great quote KP.

I have heard others out on the web reference handprint.com but I have not yet spent any great quantity of time there. Thanks for sharing the link. I will plan on revisiting that site.

Here is #3 from me. Not happy with it but that's good because I can pick out where it went wrong and work on improving (too blended, too overworked, lost some of my light areas and highlights) I know what I need/want to work on. Just need that quantity to get me towards better quality

jo.on.the.go is offline going, going, always going...going to CA and VA next
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    July 4 - Tricolor Poison Frog
    Last edited by jo.on.the.go; 08-09-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nightowl, great chipmunk. And great wood effect on the stump. I think it's really fun to paint wood.

Jo, that frog looks great!