Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: July 20-23 4"x6"ish Sketchbook Tip Ins ALL Mediums Athon

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

July 20-23 4"x6"ish Sketchbook Tip Ins ALL Mediums Athon

Come play!

Create 4"x6" (or slightly smaller) tip ins for Urban sketchbooks, other 4"x6" sketchbooks or altered journals or albums. (I haven't seen any 4"x6" plastic sleeves with binder holes, but you could punch them yourself.) Tip ins should be on at least paper as thick as a sketchbook, watercolor or quality art paper. Unlike ATCs/chunkies/other tradable art most tip-ins will be pasted into a journal and do not need to be as thick. Please communicate if your tip-in is not suitable for pasting into a journal/book.

Here's a great description of these tip ins, by nightowl_too: "Tip In" pages are separate pages of a specified size that you can then add (or "tip in") to a book of your own to create a little book of art. Here are round 3, round 2, and round 1 of the "Urban Sketch Book" size tip in page swaps art_junkie hosted. Basically they are pages sized 3 1/2-5/3 4 or 4x6 inches, that you can then add to a particular Urban Sketch Book. The size she chose was so that it would be a good fit for the particular book that she selected for the swaps. The idea is that it becomes similar to a moley except you trade pages only and then glue them into your own book. You of course do not have to glue them into that specific Urban Sketch Book by Sennelier. You could display them any way you want to. You could create your own hand bound book with these larger size pages of art. Quite a few of us got to really like the size and the novelty of creating a book. art_junkie hosted three "choose a theme" swaps.

All mediums welcome. Also, backgrounds or preliminary sketches can be done before the athon. Keep in mind that most tip in traders collect portrait (vertical) orientation. If your muse is in a landscape (horizontal) mood, that's fine as you clearly mark them.

We will have lots of people new to the size or new to athons or both, so please jump in! Ask for help if you need it!

Keep in mind that because some people may paste your art in sketchbooks, it's handy to sign your art somewhere on the front, but that's up to you.

What is an a-thon?It’s a marathon create-your-favorite-art, done over the same day and time in each time zone. It’s kind of like we were all together for the weekend to play with our art supplies and this thread is our play room.

HOW IT WORKS: At 12:01 am on Thursday May 11, their time, our Pacific Rim artists start creating art, then upload their art to the A-Thon Gallery and post to the thread. You may begin then or wait. (Think of it like this: once it's 12:01 on the somewhere in the world, you can start.) Trading and chatting ensues. Continue through event time. If we need/want to, we'll add the 14th as well.

HOW TO ASK FOR A TRADE: When you find a piece of art or goody bag you must have, please SEND A PERSONAL MESSAGE (pm) to that person asking for a trade. Please DO NOT post requests for trades to the thread. It can get way too confusing.

Note: If you do make a trade, please be sure to send to your trade partner within two weeks. If you’re running late, communicate!

WANT TO COMPLIMENT AN ARTIST: And you will… remember you can click the You Rock button and leave it there.

HOW TO POST YOUR ART TO THE THREAD:From your atcsforall.com gallery:
    It’s easiest to have two windows open. I can create another "tab" and get to my gallery in one and be in my post reply box in the other.
    Internet Explorer
    1 Go to the main page of your gallery & right click on the picture you wish to post - this brings up a menu has “properties” at the bottom.
    2) Right click on “properties”, and it will show you Address (URL). Highlight the address/url and copy (Ctrl C).
    Then follow steps 3 - 5

Note: Your picture will come up as large. Most folks use small or medium in the thread.

Mozella Firefox
    1) Go to the main page of your gallery & right click on the picture you wish to post - this brings up a menu that includes “Copy Image Location” (which is about 2/3 down the list for me)
    2) Click on the “Copy Image Location”
    Then follow steps 3 - 5

3) Go to your post in the thread and click on the "insert image" button (looks like a postcard)
    4) Paste the address (right click, click paste or Ctrl V) into the window that pops up and hit OK - that puts the code into your post for your picture to show up; (you paste the address from the properties box over the http thingy that shows when you open the "insert image" box)
    5) Remember that images from the gallery can be small, medium or large. Find the word small, medium or large (or letters s m l) in the address and change it to size you want. Most folks use small or medium in the thread.
    [IMG]http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/400/small/1_Maygar_Posta-traded.jpg [/IMG

(leaving the last bracket off the above so you can see how the address will look)

From Chrome:

Follow Firefox directions, except when you right click on the image in gallery, you'll see a "copy image address" choice. Follow steps 3-5.

From your computer:
    1. Click POST REPLY at the bottom of the messages screen. Above the message box, click the paperclip next to the smiley face. Then upload as usual. This will upload your picture as a thumbnail.
    2. If you go into the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the messages screen, click GO ADVANCED and you will get the paperclip above the message box.

From a flickr or photobucket account:
    http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2115

NEW TO A-THONS?If you have any questions at all, feel free to pm your host, or post your questions to the thread. We have a lot of experienced art-a-thoners who are more than willing to help those of you new to this craziness.
    Last edited by KESagers; 07-17-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    My APC add
    I am interested in trading for cancelled US international stamps - specifically the succulent and globe stamp - please pm me.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    First post reserved for suggested/optional themes or ideas:

1. Take a piece of un-traded art and re-work it into a tip-in. Please remember that tip-ins are FLAT and do not have dimensional embellishments.

2. ParadoxSketchbook has posted some fantastic themes and challenges. Click here to see them.

3. CastleQueen is collecting: coffee, snails, cats, birds, butterflies and tea cups.

4. Smallgirl is collecting: amphibians and reptiles

5. Shape tip-ins - like a hand etc.

6. Evalila is collecting: Halloween stuff, any style, Fauna and Flora, Anything Fantasy

7. Rhona Paints is collecting: Birds, especially blue ones. Flowers, trees, insects, nature scenes. Fairies, dragons, mermaids, other magical nature beings
    Last edited by KESagers; 07-19-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    My APC add
    I am interested in trading for cancelled US international stamps - specifically the succulent and globe stamp - please pm me.

Evalila is offline Things can only get better.....
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds interesting. IŽll try to play
    ~ Evelyn ~ I am not overweight, I am chocolate enriched

My APC Ad

www.shesdreaming.de

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Added to my calendar
    I don't have an urban sketchbook but I'm working on some hand bound art journals so I will make one for this size. Also most photograph albums are for 4x6.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totally going to try and do something for this one as I have never done tip-ins before. I have already gathered ideas together for this (mainly 4x6 and 3x5 size sketches). Can't wait to see what everyone creates

Suggested themes:
    • Pokemons
    • Pokemon Items
    • Bunnies
    • Elephants
    • Bees
    • Animals/Monsters/Creatures Drinking Tea
    • Fairies
    • Trees
    • Quotes
    • Whimsical
    • Griffins
    • Mythical Beasts
    • Beasts from Harry Potter
    • Derpy Creatures/People (derpy in a cute way)

Suggested Challenges:
    • use a book page as the main foundation (background)
    • monochrome
    • use a quote as the source of your illustration/creation
    • create movable parts
    • add hidden things (mini envelopes with note inside, etc)
    • use shimmer, glitter, shiny elements
    • use thread (thread like other materials such as ribbons, ropes, wire) to add texture
    • use origami paper or other pattern/printed paper to cutout main elements then glue down (ex: if I am making a tree I cut the trunk out from a printed paper and maybe even cut little apples out then glue them all down)
    • use embossing power
    • vintage/antique look
    • Kangaroo (or kangaroo like creatures/animals/beasts)

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Evalila, RhonaPaints and ParadoxSketchbook - so glad you see you here!

Great ideas - I have linked them in the first post.
    My APC add

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not attempted this size before but sounds like fun

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    i will be watching
    probably no time to play
    ~shirley~ A View Askew

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    can you guys please share some examples...? I might be a tad confused?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll try to play - hopefully I can get caught up on my swaps in time!
    There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. Leonard Cohen

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nanvan and Electricdesigner - I look forward to seeing your art!

JavaZarf - we will miss you but feel free to lurk, comment or jump in if things change.
    My APC add

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxSketchbook View Post
    can you guys please share some examples...? I might be a tad confused?
    Excellent idea!

Here are the links to the past two tip-in-athons:

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34191

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34031

and these are my most recent available tip-ins:

Most of my tip-ins to date have been a combination of my digital art and die-cut or stamped embellishments but anything goes as far as art technique or mixed media as long as it is relatively flat. (Hand drawn/painted or Zentangle art is by it's nature flat already.)

The MAIL ART: AVAILABLE FOR TRADE portion of the gallery is where most people post their tip-in art after the marathon.

Questions about tip-ins are most welcome - it's a new form of tradable art to me and so I'm learning as I go also.
    My APC add

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I sure hope I get time to play. I need to start pack as we are moving to Linton this fall and our future daughter-in-law said Linton is have a City wide Rummage sale and she said she would help and we can have it at she place.

Thanks for the invite.
    Last edited by dsign49; 07-14-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay basically you do cover the entire page up with art

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to make some tip ins for the first time. I would love some with coffee or snails.

Cats, birds, butterflies. hmmm tea cups.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for inviting me! If tip-ins are 4" x 6", that is the same as a photograph, so we could fit them in a photo album if we don't have an urban sketchbook, right?

This will be a challenge as I have never made tip ins before.

I am working on a 4" x 6" altered book with the theme of amphibians and reptiles, so perhaps this should be a theme I collect?
    Last edited by smallgirl; 07-15-2017 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Add interests

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smallgirl View Post
    Thank you for inviting me! If tip-ins are 4" x 6", that is the same as a photograph, so we could fit them in a photo album if we don't have an urban sketchbook, right?
    OOOHHHH! You are so smart, I bet you were in the gifted class. We probably sat right next to each other.... What a super idea. Now I am double excited.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the invite. I need to check where I am on swaps, as I'm away from 24th for a week, but I'd like to give it a go. Maybe I should get out those inspiration sticks.
    Last edited by ann_stebbing; 07-15-2017 at 05:44 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't even know what an Urban Sketchbook is...if I have time to play, I'll just be concentrating on the size (4x6), like your idea for displaying them, Smallgirl.
    There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. Leonard Cohen

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dsign49 - that Rummage sale sounds like a dream come true for ephemera hunting! I hope you sell a lot that day!

Paradox Sketchbook - Yes most of the tip-ins I've seen have art edge to edge

However Some of my tip-ins are 3.5 x 5.5 inches to leave a border around the edge when they are pasted into a 4 x 6 platform . . .but some of mine are a straight 4x6 so there is no border. When I post mine to this site I clearly describe the dimensions in the description part of my post.
    My APC add