Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: APC-a-thon

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok ladies lets try for September. Hopefully we will all have time to play. I will let you know more when we get closer to September. But feel free to make APC and trade anytime.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    September works much better to me .
    My chunky page list and APC list

We are having a Challenge Hunt ATART on July 20-23. Welcome to play!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to it!
    My APC add
    I am interested in trading for cancelled US international stamps - specifically the succulent and globe stamp - please pm me.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    So it sounds like we are hoping for September now? That works for me as well as August. Might even be better, the kids start school August 7th, so I'll be kid free for several hours during the day for the first time in over 4 years!!!! Little one is starting preschool and oldest is starting high school. I'm pretty excited.
    "When it comes to art, it's important not to hide the madness." -Atticus
    My Etsy Store My APC Wishlist

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm good for September

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes we are looking at September.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    September sounds great! In the meantime, just to let you all know that there are two spots left in the APC group for BekaH's Mid July PAT!

Also, the MMH APC thread could use some more players (link in my signature)

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smallgirl View Post
    September sounds great! In the meantime, just to let you all know that there are two spots left in the APC group for BekaH's Mid July PAT!

Also, the MMH APC thread could use some more players (link in my signature)
    Thanks smallgirl that is a great idea. Those of you that only need a card or two to finish a deck MMH is a good thread to see if you can get it filled.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have posted some APC's in my gallery. If anyone is interested I am will ing to trade.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any takers for the last spot in the Mid-July PAT? The APC group has just one spot left! Come join me, Thouartdelyrias, dithespy, and CastleQueen5!
    Last edited by smallgirl; 08-03-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

New to APCs

I have a few questions:
    1 - I bought a deck of cards, they are a hair off ATC size - not bridge size either. Can I still use them? I will state the exact size when I post them.

2 - The cards have a plastic coating. Even my old deck had a coating. How do you adhere to the surface?
    I am thinking of sanding the plastic to get tooth...is it OK to do this ahead of time?

Thank you very much for any suggestions.
    Hope to see you at the Athon!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    #2 - Plastic Coating - isn't that the most annoying thing for us artists! I have found that almost nothing sticks to it - nothing! Even if I Gesso it - the gesso is a tricky surface for adhesives also. I have resorted to sanding the area where I am going to place the adhesive. Roughing up the surface seems to make a difference. Also I use a lot of that super sticky "red" tape stuff. One thing that does seem to work without needing any sandpaper is "gel medium." If I am collaging right on the card I use gel medium to "glue" and then I can also use it to seal. As far as I can tell the gel medium seems to be pretty permanent.
    My APC add
    I am interested in trading for cancelled US international stamps - specifically the succulent and globe stamp - please pm me.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    #2- I use Sookwang double sided card making tape, made in Korea. It is super sticky and I buy it from an independent stamp, Tim Holtz, and card making shop. I have never seen it at Michaels.

Edit: just looked online and it is available online at Walmart.com
    Last edited by smallgirl; 08-04-2017 at 11:54 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to play, but since we're also packing up to move I don't really know when would be the best time for me. Remodeling the master bath now, new carpet goes in Aug. 22, and we hope to have the house "staged" and on the market by Sept. 1. Hubby can retire after Sept. 24 (his 65th), and we hope to move to Ashland, OR, whenever the house sells and he retires. We have yet to really look at houses in Ashland, other than online, so everything is up in the air. I'm going to "stage" one of the spare bedrooms as a craft room so I'll be able to keep some of my stuff available until the house sells... whenever.

But I do have a couple of APCs in my gallery right now if anyone's interested.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the suggestions. I found a comparison of the tapes:
    http://www.craftcritique.com/2011/03...line-adhesive/
    So I can play around and see what sticks...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips smallgirl and Lorna! I have some scor-tape an need to give it a try. Looks like I'm going to prefer it over the red stuff.

UPDATE: I just discovered that sookwang and scor-tape are the same. Made by the same manufacturer. I'm going to guess that scor-tape is the English name for marketing here. Sure enough - I'm looking at my package and its says Scor-tape on the front of the package but Sookwang on the cardboard core. Made in Korea but distributed by Scor-pal. It is available on Amazon also - I think that is where I got mine.
    Last edited by KESagers; 08-05-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    My APC add

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    My favourite method of making APCs is to use beeswax and tissue paper. I was introduced to this by mrubyjean years ago - 2 advantages to this are: the beeswax gives a lovely surface sheen to your cards and it smells wonderful when you are using it. The only DISadvantage is that you need a craft 'iron' or something hot to make it melt (and therefore burn you if/when you become overenthusistic)
    I have a new address from the end of June - ROBINA.
    Now hosting:

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    September would work for me. I haven't been able to play for a long time.
    There cannot be a crisis next week, my schedule is already full. --Henry A. Kissinger

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnacr View Post
    My favourite method of making APCs is to use beeswax and tissue paper. I was introduced to this by mrubyjean years ago - 2 advantages to this are: the beeswax gives a lovely surface sheen to your cards and it smells wonderful when you are using it. The only DISadvantage is that you need a craft 'iron' or something hot to make it melt (and therefore burn you if/when you become overenthusistic)
    What type of beeswax do you use and how do you apply it? I'm super interested in this technique!
    "When it comes to art, it's important not to hide the madness." -Atticus
    My Etsy Store My APC Wishlist

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I buy it from a school arts supply place in either 3" rectangles (like a gold ingot but in wax) which is very easy to use with the craft iron or a massive block which is much harder to hold to melt.
    I don't bother to sandpaper my APC (though some people do) and just hold the wax over the card, melting some of the wax on to the surface - like preparing to seal a letter in the OLD days. Once I have some wax on the surface I spread it around with my hot iron - DON'T put wax on the suit in the top left corner as it is next to impossible to remove once attached. I have included pictures of my iron in thumbnails -the 2nd picture is the only clue I have as to its brand as I no longer have its packaging.
    I then carefully lay some tissue paper over this wax while still hot - the wax works as an adhesive. Be careful in your placement as you won't be able to pick the tissue paper up after putting it down.
    I then add a little more hot wax on top of the tissue paper - this allows me to smooth some of the worst creases out as it also remelts the original wax and seals the tissue paper. If I want a more defined picture from the tissue paper I will add the same section on top of itself and repeat the top layer of wax.
    Don't worry if you have pieces hanging off the edges as these can be trimmed once your card has cooled.
    Rhinestones and pearls will stick to the wax normally (only use a THIN coating or you distort the picture you are using) and other embellishments can be glued on or added using double sided tape. You can also add glitter between the layers but I have only managed to do this randomly as spreading the wax spreads the glitter.

Have fun experimenting!
    I have a new address from the end of June - ROBINA.
    Now hosting: