Media
ATC Swap Due Date: October 13, 2017
Signup/Withdraw Date: October 13, 2017
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Media: Any and all mediums and techniques are welcome

Friday the 13th, Superstitions, Spells, Witches, And More: Due October 13, 2017

RETURNS MAILED 10/18

October in particular, and Fall in general, is filled with traditions and superstitions, and the night is rampant with a plethora of scary, ghostly critters. In Victorian times, Friday the 13th was more of a PARTY than the solemn/spooky superstitious holiday we know today, whether it fell in the middle of the summer or in the middle of October.

Good Luck / Bad Luck
Your Friday the 13th cards can be spooky, or superstitious, or silly.
They can depict Friday the 13th as a bad luck day, or a good luck day.
I do my BEST shopping and find the most AWESOME sales on Friday the 13th. I take the day off work to fully utilize my Friday the 13th!!!:)

Who/What do you think of on Friday the 13th?
You can do black cats, spiders, stepping on cracks in sidewalks.
You can depict lovely witches, ugly witches, scary witches.

SUPERSTITIONS
You can make ATCs that show Superstitions
Stepping on a spider will make it rain.
I'm not superstitious, but I won't walk under a ladder.
Knock on wood when you say that!
Spilled the salt? Toss a pinch over your shoulder.
Don’t let a black cat cross your path.
Cross your fingers so that it doesn't happen!
Having an acorn on your windowsill averts lightning
Every time you light your cigarette from a candle, a sailor dies at sea?

For "superstitions", I'm looking for old wives tales, folklore, bizarre beliefs, taboos, omens, lucky & unlucky things.
I am hoping you can create cards with a more unusual belief or superstition.
I will also accept strange beliefs for "cures" (for instance, catch a falling leaf on the first day of Autumn to avoid getting a cold all Winter...) or ( seeing a WHITE Butterfly in the early Spring)
Think horseshoes, rabbits feet, breaking mirrors, planting Rosemary, carving Jack O Lantern

Whether you believe them or not, everyone knows at least one superstition or they grew up with some “odd” belief.
Some superstitions are very common everywhere, some beliefs seem very regional, or unique to one country, and others are just plain odd.

Some superstitions rely on a level of meta-superstition:
This means that by believing in superstitions they can focus their mind to perform better on the focus of the superstition. This is popular in baseball superstitions....
If one is on a winning streak, one does not change their t shirt, their socks, their hat, or the winning streak will be broken.

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take a magazine image, cut it into a square, glue it onto some colored paper, and call it done. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve.
* All cards need to be standard atc size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper)
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on the envelope.
.....Please check both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., and trading only 3 cards, please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 49 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp, or one forever and one 21 cent stamp if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky.

* International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due IN MY HANDS by October 13, 2017. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. Returns will be mailed promptly. Late cards will be returned, as it is unfair to those participants who always have their cards in early or on time.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have not been in one of my swaps for a while, please PM me for my address when ready to mail.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Current Participants
Superstitions
Due October 13, 2017

*/. acalla - WITHDREW
1. Jaxsmom - it - Cards Received 9/25 * U.K.
*/. Mrs.Alderman - WITHDREW
*/. Onaki - WITHDREW
2. mynameisJenn - it - Cards Received 9/30
*/. jmallory-welch- WITHDREW
3. Bibliobibuli - it - Cards Received 8/22
rn4. An. M. Sudyka - it - Cards Received 8/28
*5. Boots - it - Cards Received 8/13
6. PinkJellyFish - it - Cards Received 8/22
7. SpottedCrow - it - Cards Received 8/16
8. ChikNorriss - it - Cards Received 9/01
*/. crafty - NO CARDS NO COMMUNICATION * ITALY
*9. TrinaLD - it - Cards Received 10/13
*10. sillylily41 - it - Cards Received 9/18
11. CesariaB - it - Cards Received 9/25 * THE NETHERLANDS
*12. Ancient Planter - it - Cards Received 9/25
*13. Vicki Z - Cards Received 8/13
14. Nightvamp - it - Cards Received * THE NETHERLANDS

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
Thirteen is my lucky number.
I ate a fortune cookie at lunch today, and my fortune cookie fortune lists 7 and 13 as my lucky numbers.

Last edited:
I am always excited when the 13th of the month falls on a Friday.
It is always a very LUCKY DAY for me
Good luck...FAB sales...wonderful opportunities.
I take the day off work to assure I have sufficient time to partake of EVERYTHING.....

Lurking for now. Thirteen is my lucky number, but the stress of the remodel and trying to get the house on the market seems to have sent my muse fleeing to a calmer area for now.

oh man, what a neat theme! I will have to watch for now as I am swamped on art, medical debt, and work at the moment. I hope I can find some time <3

Lurking for now. Thirteen is my lucky number, but the stress of the remodel and trying to get the house on the market seems to have sent my muse fleeing to a calmer area for now.

Lurkers always welcome.
Sometimes art relieves the stress of a remodel, so hope to see you back.

Lurkers welcome, Arbitrary Star and Urocyonfox.
Perhaps later. :0)

Last edited:
SUPERSTITION
Tomatoes are poisonous!!!!!!!

As late as the late 1700s, a large percentage of people in Europe feared the tomato.

A nickname for the fruit was the “poison apple” because it was thought that people got sick and died after eating them, but the truth of the matter was that wealthy Europeans used pewter plates, which were high in lead content.
Because tomatoes are so high in acidity, when placed on this particular tableware, the fruit would leach lead from the plate, resulting in many deaths from lead poisoning. No one made this connection between plate and poison at the time; the tomato was picked as the poisonous culprit.

The superstitious fear of tomatoes was even worse in the United States!

On September 26th, 1830, Colonel Robert Gibbon Johnson stood on the steps of the courthouse in Salem, New Jersey with a basket of tomatoes. Despite warnings that this toxic fruit's poison would turn his blood to acid, Johnson told several hundred cheering spectators that he planned to eat the entire basket of tomatoes - and survive.
At a time when hangings, be-headings, and public torture was considered ENTERTAINMENT, the entire town turned out for the show.

"The foolish Colonel will foam and froth at the mouth," his own doctor shouted, "and double over with appendicitis. All that acid - one dose and he is dead. He might even be exposing himself to brain fever. Should he by some unlikely chance survive, his skin will stick to his stomach and cause cancer."

Johnson, wearing black, ate the entire basket of tomatoes, savoring each juicy bite, and indeed survived. The source of this story was an old farm journal, and may be less than reliable. If it is true, he was lucky those fruit were Tomatoes, which as the evidence (and superstition of the times) shows are not only poisonous, but Evil.

Last edited:
I'd like to join this swap as well if you'll have me! It's been ages since I've done swaps on here since I've mostly been looming over Swap-bot lately lol. <3

Happy first of August!

August is prime tomato time. This week, because so many of them are ripe and coming out of the garden, here is a little story for you about tomatoes — and werewolves:

A French botanist named Tournefort assigned the botanical name, Lycopersicum esculentum, (later changed to Solanum lycopersicum), to the tomato. This Latin name translates, strangely, to “wolfpeach” – round and soft-skinned like a “peach, and “wolf” (maybe?) because the tomato was considered evil/poisonous at the time.

Or perhaps the botanist got the idea from old German werewolf [“lycanthropy”] myths, where superstition tells us witches use nightshade plants [tomatoes belong to the nightshade family] to shape shift into werewolves.

I am soooo glad that superstition got de-bunked!!!! August is prime time for a tasty tomato pesto, or a Greek tomato and mozzarella salad. And how would we survive without pizza, marinara sauce, spaghetti and meatballs, not to mention tomato marmalade and even tomato butter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom