Thread: Card backs

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Card backs

Hello everyone!!
    I'm very new to ATC's and I'm hooked so far! But I have a question regarding the backs of the cards. What do you all prefer or what is best: a separate piece of paper or cardstock with all the info on it, or writing directly on the back of the card? Basically, I guess I'm wondering if writing on the back of the card itself is a big no-no or not lol.
    Thanks for any input!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chik, this was moved to the Art Discussion Forum , as it's better suited there.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chik, I sure hope it's not a no-no! I have always hand-written my info right on the back of the card. The sticker or glue- on info labels are nice to use, some very decorative and pretty. If you use markers in your artwork, the colors can bleed through to the back, which does not bother many artists, but others really dislike the way that looks. So affixing an info label would be a great solution for those cards. Also, I have noticed on the ones with spaces to fill in regarding a swap, sometimes they ask for the name of the swap host up near the top, and the artist name, or username is asked for down several lines. Sometimes card recipients think, from a quick glance, that the host was the artist, and I'm convinced that's the reason I've received some erroneous rep points. So maybe for a swap, just don't fill in the host's name, it is probably not necessary if you give the swap title.
    Now Hosting: Proudly Posing Peacocks Swap and Kitties and Puppies Swap and Illustrated Christmas Carols Swap and 1:1 Trading - Doll-Shaped "Dolls of the World" Cards

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a host I like to see the artist's real name, A4A name, swap name, place they are from & a date. It doesn't matter to me what an artist writes on but if you write on a thin piece of ATC you might want to be careful about the writing pressing on to the front of the ATC. Does that make sense? I mean the pressure of how hard or soft you write can make the indents on the front of the ATC. Sturdy ATC to me is always better than too thin ATC... But I am sure that every host has their own favorite ways to have them done.
    Now Hosting BRAINS.... BRAINS.... due date 11/22

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. To me, too thick is better than too thin. However, I've been told that completely inflexible cards can require more postage. So maybe the answer is a piece of cardstock which can bend into a very shallow arch.
    Now Hosting: Proudly Posing Peacocks Swap and Kitties and Puppies Swap and Illustrated Christmas Carols Swap and 1:1 Trading - Doll-Shaped "Dolls of the World" Cards

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds decent=)
    Now Hosting BRAINS.... BRAINS.... due date 11/22

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys so much! I'm still really new to all of this and want to put my beat foot forward.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    My handwriting is terrible, especially if I have to write something several times, swap name, host etc. I have found computer printed name badge labels are just the right size for the back of an atc. It only works in landscape format, but I can put in the swap name, host name, title of the card, media used, date and my information and a graphic appropriate to the swap. The label sheet has eight labels and a swap is usually four cards, three to trade and a hostie. I put my information on the extra four leaving blank space for other info and use them for cards that I don't make for swaps. The adhesive label can help stiffen a card and can cover whatever ugliness is going on on the back of a card.
    Must be Gelli 'cause jam don't shake like that!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I type out a backing with all the information the Host has requested...set it up in Word...print it out and trim to size. Then I run is through my Xyron to make a sticker the size of the card....stick it on and sign it. It's easy to read. I have trouble figuring out the info on the backs of some cards I get.
    FLORIDA MEMBERS...SIGN IN PLEASE
    www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16337

Kynara is offline Heavily caffinated for the safety of others
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    however the info is done (written/typed/printed) it really needs to be attached to or on the card. you can't assume that the person receiving the card will leave it in it's sleeve.

i remove mine from the sleeves so they fit in the snug binder pages that i have better and there's nothing more frustrating than losing that piece of paper and not knowing who did what.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that the information must be adhered to or written on the back in some manner.
    I use a self stick address label - the 1 x 2-5/8 inch size - and print my basic info on there. If a swap name is requested to be added I hand write it on the card.

"If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough."
    My Blog... Art Etsy... Facebook... My Flickr... Vintage Etsy...