Papercut Illustration ATC Swap - Due: Oct 20th, 2017

Hi plumhill, I personally Rilke canson mixed media paper it's slightly thicker then printer paper. Printer paper is much easier to cut thru but if/when you glue it down you would provably need spray adhesive instead of liquid glue because you notice it will go wavy and look yucky if you use liquid glue. try gluing a random scrap and you'll see what I mean. So if you go with printer paper I recommend get some adhesive spray. Even a glue stick might go wavy.

Try a few paper and use whichever you like best that's what I did.

As for your question about templates, this is for original art so the design should still be your own. I'll bet you come up with something great!

They look wonderful plumhill! I responded to your private message with my mailing address. I look forward to seeing them.

I'm so sad you can't join us zhouzhou but glad you'll be lurking to see the cards! Such wonderful ones already.

Plumhill yes aren't those books the coolest!? I hope I can try my hand at more layered colored paper illustrations in the future. I tried them years ago but haven't again yet as I've been in love with doing the silhouette style ones.

Zongela - yes that thin printer paper I personally think isn't to my liking hence the slightly thicker XL Canson mixed media paper that I had laying around was literally PERFECT thickness. It was still so thin that cutting wasn't difficult but a perfect thickness that cutting still kept the detail without tearing.

Ann_stebbing - that is such a great idea with the origami paper Ann! I can't wait to see them in person

Angelmuz - I'm adding you to the list if I haven't already! welcome welcome so excited to see what you make

CesariaB - I hope you love giving it a try and decide to join!

You know what else is good paper I just found that probably all of you have laying around!? Sketchbook paper! Because most sketchbooks paper is thin but still thicker then printer paper! Try that if you haven't already. I compared it's thickness to the mixed media stuff I have and all my sketchbooks were a slight bit thinner but still felt so much sturdier then printer paper. I hope that helps!

Last edited:
Gorgeous examples! Please add me to the swap...I'd like to take a try.

Thanks for the sketchbook paper tip...I think that will work well!

ann_stebbing your set has arrived safely and I'm off to leave your itrader now - thanks so much for the hostie!

This looks awesome and fun....I'm not sure I have any kind of fine cutting knife around though so I'll lurk and hunt through my supplies tomorrow. I have an electronic machine that cuts and you can upload your own image too (so would be my own design just not hand cut?)-would that be allowed in the swap if I can't find a decent craft knife in the house?

I would like to lurk for now. I'm not sure I'm up for this challenge but am intrigued by the art you've shared.

I've removed you from the list Iamwhaonearth

@RaeK75 - unfortunately no this is for handmade so using a machine even though you drew it yourself wouldn't be fair to everyone else. Usually a simple blade can be purchased for cheap from any craft/art store. I hope you decide to play

@cleopatra
- I hope you decide to play!

@alexrm15
- adding you now

Last edited:
Thought so Pabkins, but thought I'd check-my craft knives have been used by the kids for various cardboard building projects-I've given myself a no spend month this month but I'm hoping my mom has one!

Back
Top Bottom