Media
Swap Cards Due Date: November 2, 2017
Signup/Withdraw Date: November 2, 2017
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Media: Any and all mediums and techniques are welcome

Samhain Celebration, Due November 2, 2017

RETURNS MAILED 11/08

Samhain means “Summer’s End”, and with Samhain, in the Northern Hemisphere, the winter half of the year begins.
On November Eve we bid farewell to the feminine aspect of Nature and welcome the masculine aspect to rule once more in her place during the dark time of the year. We mourn the passing of the Goddess, our Lady of Summer, for it is the end of summer/the beginning of winter; the end of light/the beginning of darkness; the end of growing/the beginning of sleep.

Samhain bonfires light the night, and in more rural areas, animals are herded between two Samhain fires to kill off mites, tick, fleas, and other parasites that may have moved into the animals warm fur as cold weather sets in.

Samhain is one of the most solemn Pagan Festivals of the year. This is the night of the Dumb Supper, a celebration for the reunion of the souls of those family members who have left the physical plane. Some believe we can ask our departed loved ones to return on this night and give us messages of wisdom. The more mystically inclined may also see this as a time for deeply communing with the deities

Samhain is also the traditional time for Scrying and Divination for the coming year, either in all solemnity, or as games for children. Even today, Divination is a common folkloric practice that has survived in rural areas. The most common uses were to determine the identity of one's future spouse, the location of one's future home, and how many children a person might have. Seasonal foods such as apples and nuts were often employed in these rituals. Apples were peeled, the peel tossed over the shoulder, and its shape examined to see if it formed the first letter of the future spouse's name. Nuts were roasted on the hearth and their movements interpreted - if the nuts stayed together, so would the couple.

Samhain is associated with the final harvest of summer, for fruits not gathered prior to Samhain were often left ungathered, since these fruits were believed to now be inhabited by the spirits that walked the Samhain Night, and therefore unfit for eating. (Witness the ripe, succulent fruit hanging on the vine in the afternoon, which feeezes Samhain Night and becomes mush and unpalatable the next morning.)

Samhain brings to mind Jack-O-Lanterns, a modern day remnant of when people used to bar their windows on Halloween and use candle-lit pumpkins, gourds, squash, or even large turnips (hollowed out and candle-lit) to frighten the evil spirits away.

You can focus on Fall Goddesses, often called Dark goddesses, with or without their cauldrons.

You can focus on Welsh Legends about Cerridwen and her magical cauldron.
Ceridwen plays a role as a goddess, her cauldron symbolizing the feminine principle
In her magical cauldron Ceridwen

You can focus on Welsh Legends about Cerridwen and her magical cauldron.
Ceridwen plays a role as a goddess, her cauldron symbolizing the feminine principle
In her magical cauldron Ceridwen brews a mystical potion granting the gift of wisdom and poetic inspiration
Ceridwen gives birth the poet Taliesin, a great bard of lore and legend
Robert Graves later fitted her into his concept of the Threefold Goddess, in which she was interpreted as a form of the destructive side of the goddess.

You can focus on the Celtic goddess Brigid.
In February Brigid is associated with the returning light of Imbolc, but at this time of year Brigid is associated with the Celtic Triple goddess. And in her third phase as Crone, she passes out knowledge and wisdom to those who seek her at Samhain.

You can focus on The Irish goddess Morrigan, the goddess of war and death.
Again, a triple goddess, but a bit more dark and more destructive than the previous two goddess. Often depicted as a crow, and crows often figure in images of Samhain.

Crows, Ravens, and other black birds are often associated with Samhain, perhaps because of the increasing hours of darkness, or beause of the many black birds migrating, or perhaps general superstitions in individual cultures. Many of the superstitions are quite negative. It may be that crows/ravens are so intelligent as to be scary. Recent research has found some crow species capable of not only tool use, but also tool construction, and the Eurasian Magpie is one of the few animal species known to be able to recognize itself in a mirror. (Mirrors also being associated with Samhain, and divination at Samhain.)

The god Bran the Blessed -whose name means 'crow' or 'raven'- is associated with corvids and death; tradition holds that Bran's severed head is buried under the Tower of London, facing France and here is one British superstition associated with Ravens.

* This is a 3 for 3 card trade. Make 3 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Remember to do your best pieces of art that are not based only on one element. Do NOT slap a stamp, or an image, on a plain background and call it done. Cards made in this manner are NOT acceptable and will be returned. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. All I ask is that you send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve.
* All cards need to be standard atc size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper)
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything!
.....We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on the envelope.
.....Please check both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.

* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 49 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards, OR additional 21 cents postage or two "Forever" stamps your cards are extra heavy.

* International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due IN MY HANDS by November 2, 2017. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. itrader ratings will be given when I receive your cards. Returns will be mailed promptly. Late cards will be returned, as it is unfair to those participants who always have their cards in early or on time.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have not been in one of my swaps for a while, I’ll PM you with my address when you sign up!

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Here are some links to get you started:

Samhain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

Halloween and Jack-O-Lanterns
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack-o%27-lantern

Halloween Game
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap-dragon_(game)

Scrying and Mirrors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrying
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror

Goddess Legends
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Morr%C3%ADgan

Crows
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crows

CURRENT PARTICIPANTS MOVED TO NEXT POST
APPARENTLY I HAVE USED ALL AVAILABLE SPACE IN THIS POST

Last edited:
Samhain means "Summer's End"
It is already half past August
Fall will be here before you know it.

No, I don't think I have received any cards for this swap yet.
But I will look again.
Thanks for checking.

Back
Top Bottom