Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Life Of The Monarch Butterfly, Due December 1, 2017

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    FALL FLOWERS

Monarchs need nectar to fuel their migration south. Although many flower gardens are bursting with flowers in the spring and in the summer, many plants die back in the Fall, and that is just when Monarchs need the nectar from them the most.

Help fuel the Monarch butterflies’ Fall Migration by planting Fall blooming flowers such as Zinnias. These nectar sources act as “gas” stations and “rest stops” in the Fall as Monarchs travel on their Southern Migration route.

Grow Zinnias!!!!
    One of the hardest working flowers. This plant attracts butterflies, hummingbirds, honeybees, and others. Also repels whiteflies in the garden.
    They are low maintenance, drought resistant.
    During spring and summer, deadhead the flowers to encourage new flower growth.
    In the late fall, save the seeds by letting the flowers dry fully on the stem.

Zinnia Card
    …..Three Layer Background
    …..Zinnia Image
    …..Zinnia Postage Stamp
    …..Fall Leaves Boarder
    …..Sticky Back Text

Monarch on Blazing Star Flower
    .....I have never grown this flower, but the Monarchs seem to like it, and that is reason enough for me to try to find out more about it. o)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 10-14-2017 at 05:57 PM.

2. Likes alrice46 liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely cards and I did not know that about zinnias. I don't suppose they grow in the dark? My backyard is so dark --- lots of trees and stuff from all of the surrounding houses and 3 trees in my yard. Keeps the house cooler during summer, but fall and winter are pretty darned cold. I do love some zinnias, though.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zinnias do grow in shade, but they do better in sunlight.
    I had to monitor the sun shadow for a couple of years to find out where to plant my zinnias for the best "bang for my buck".

First it was the problem with the house shadow, then the garage shadow, then the other trees shadow, but I found a small spot that was NOT shaded, and the zinnias went crazy, as did the Hummingbirds, the Hummingbird moths, the Painted Ladies, the honey bees, and the MONARCHS.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    AWESOME cards received from xela7072 and Just Ducky.
    Thanks to each of you for including a hostie card.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are my cards for the swap! I didn't realize until after I had already painted it, but the "Monarch" with wings spread is not quite accurate. My reference photo labeled it as a Monarch but it seems it's a Viceroy instead? The pattern is slightly different than a Monarch. Also. Painting the symmetry of the spread wing Viceroy and Tiger Swallowtail (a butterfly that competes with the MOnarch for feeding grounds) kicked my hiney! Good practice in that realm and one I need more in!

TigerSwallowtail.jpg

Monarch.jpg

Monarchperched.jpg

7. Likes alrice46 liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apyjoy85 View Post
    Here are my cards for the swap! I didn't realize until after I had already painted it, but the "Monarch" with wings spread is not quite accurate. My reference photo labeled it as a Monarch but it seems it's a Viceroy instead? The pattern is slightly different than a Monarch. Also. Painting the symmetry of the spread wing Viceroy and Tiger Swallowtail (a butterfly that competes with the MOnarch for feeding grounds) kicked my hiney! Good practice in that realm and one I need more in!

LOVE your cards.
    Thanks for posting such FAB examples!!!!
    GREAT job painting them.

CONGRATULATIONS on noticing the difference in butterflies.
    Yes, that does look more like a viceroy than a Monarch.
    Good catch!!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lurking......I've been planting milkweed in more spots in my yard every year. I am also seeing more monarch's in my yard each year.

In Mexico on Day of Dead...Monarchs are considered returning souls due to their migration pattern... they return to Mexico around Day of the Dead. This is why you see Monarchs sometimes depicted in Day of Dead pictures.
    Love trading and collecting ATC's

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Karch View Post
    Lurking......I've been planting milkweed in more spots in my yard every year. I am also seeing more monarch's in my yard each year.

In Mexico on Day of Dead...Monarchs are considered returning souls due to their migration pattern... they return to Mexico around Day of the Dead. This is why you see Monarchs sometimes depicted in Day of Dead pictures.

CONGRATULATIONS AND KUDOS, KARCH.
    I only wish more people planted more milkweed, in more places, every year.

There are two versions of the date of the Monarch return to Mexico.
    One firmly states November 1st, comparing the Monarch arrival, with the Legend of the return of the Swallows of Capistrano. The other version lists a date range that varies from year to year, coinciding with the Day of the Dead.

Since all the Monarchs do not arrive all exactly, all together, all at the same time, all at the same tree, in the Oyamel Fir forests of Mexico, a flexible date is probably more accurate.

Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) 2017 in United States of America will begin on
    Tuesday, October 31
    and ends on
    Thursday, November 2nd.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lurkers welcome, Karch.
    You have plenty of time to come back and join us.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Monarchs!

I'd love to join! This is my first swap!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to join!!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi all--
    just a tip for those of you who want to plant milkweed, keep to a local variety if you can. know that it can be invasive, too. in five years, i have quite a large patch from just one plant. i would say that i have about 70 plants now! i also believe they don't have the greatest germination rate from seed, so may be better to find a plant. i planted common milkweed that i found growing wild. like most perennials, they like being planted in the autumn.
    this year, for the first time, i lost a few to tachinid fly parasitism. i lost about 4-5 out of 67, but it was a reminder to get the eggs before flies can find them. it was also the first year i had milkweed a lot of milkweed bugs. i don't think they will harm the monarchs, though.
    i can guarantee you that you will love seeing the females coming and laying eggs. and if you are lucky enough to get butterflies, it will be a great experience you will never forget!
    kerry
    LOVE: the most important four letter word you will ever say...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please sign me up. Thanks

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome hope97 and Fandanie.
    I signed you up.
    I also sent you my address so you know where to send your completed ATCs.
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 10-16-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Yay! As this is my first swap - where do I find the address to mail the cards?

lenoralb is offline Still Learning Peppered With Experience
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    I would like to sign up, please.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome lenoralb.
    I signed you up.
    I also sent you my address so you know where to mail your cards.

hope97
    As previously mentioned, I signed you up, and I also sent you my address again so you know where to send your cards.
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 10-16-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    VickiZ, please move me to the lurking couch for now. I have family fire evacuees staying with me, life's been turned upside down, and I don't know how long until things are back to normal. This, of course, also disrupts my ATC spaces. I'm missing stuff and I'm kind of frustrated since I know that I put it somewhere and simply can't locate it. Ah, new task for today. Find missing stuff.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinaLD View Post
    VickiZ, please move me to the lurking couch for now. I have family fire evacuees staying with me, life's been turned upside down, and I don't know how long until things are back to normal. This, of course, also disrupts my ATC spaces. I'm missing stuff and I'm kind of frustrated since I know that I put it somewhere and simply can't locate it. Ah, new task for today. Find missing stuff.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.
    Our news is carrying your news on the fires in your area, and they sound awful.
    Thank goodness your family fire evacuees have you to stay with!!!
    Safety and family come first. I certainly understand.

Stuff disappearing is frustrating, but if you cannot locate what you need, in time, please feel free to contact me for a personal trade on any, and/or all, of your creations when life settles down and gets back to normal.

Again, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Id like to join