Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Life Of The Monarch Butterfly, Due December 1, 2017

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    FLYING SOUTH TO MEXICO

The Monarchs follow the same migratory route year after year, from their summer habitat up North to their overwintering grounds in Mexico and some other locations. They fly by means of an internal compass that "tells" them their route.

The Monarch flying to Mexico are Fourth generation Monarchs, and these Monarch butterflies have NEVER flown this Migration path before.

The fourth generation of Monarch butterflies is a little bit different than the earlier generations, (actually THREE generations) which flew North, making several stops along the way, feeding, laying eggs, refueling, and laying more eggs for the next generation.

The fourth generation is born in September and October and goes through exactly the same process as the first, second and third generations of butterflies, except one part. The fourth generation of Monarch butterflies does not die after two to six weeks.

Instead, this generation of Monarch butterflies migrates to warmer climates like Mexico and California and will live for six to eight months until it is time to start the whole process over again.

Yet somehow the Monarchs know where they are going. Even when Monarchs born, hatched, and grown in the Midwest, are captured, transferred to, and released on, the Eastern seaboard, they may start with a "Midwest to Mexico" flight pattern, but they quickly adjust to an Eastern U.S., to Western Mexico, flight path. How do they know? They seem to stick to their internal compass, and they stick to the path until they get to where they are supposed to be.

Two Postage Stamp
    Monarch Caterpillar and Butterfly
    .....Gelli Plate Print BackGround
    .....Four die cut corners
    .....Monarch Caterpillar Postage Stamp
    .....Monarch Butterfly Postage Stamp
    .....Sticky Back Text

WINTER IN MEXICO

Until recently, the monarch ‘s winter hideouts had been a secret known only to local villagers and landowners. In the forests of Mexico, monarchs roost in huge Oyamel fir trees, which occur in a very small area of mountain tops in central Mexico. ... The butterflies choose spots that are close to, but not quite, freezing. The large Oyamel Fir trees retain warmth and predator protection which the Monarchs utilize as they huddle together for warmth and protection.

Oyamel Fir Trees & Monarch
    Monarch Butterfly in Mexico
    .....Magazine Image of the Mexican Forest that is the Monarch over-wintering site
    .....3-Dimensional Pop Up Monarch Butterfly with wire antennae
    .....Stamped text
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 10-16-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: added pictures

2. Likes alrice46 liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greekygirl View Post
    hi all--
    just a tip for those of you who want to plant milkweed, keep to a local variety if you can. know that it can be invasive, too. in five years, i have quite a large patch from just one plant. i would say that i have about 70 plants now! i also believe they don't have the greatest germination rate from seed, so may be better to find a plant. i planted common milkweed that i found growing wild. like most perennials, they like being planted in the autumn.
    this year, for the first time, i lost a few to tachinid fly parasitism. i lost about 4-5 out of 67, but it was a reminder to get the eggs before flies can find them. it was also the first year i had milkweed a lot of milkweed bugs. i don't think they will harm the monarchs, though.
    i can guarantee you that you will love seeing the females coming and laying eggs. and if you are lucky enough to get butterflies, it will be a great experience you will never forget!
    kerry
    Thank you for your comments, greekygirl.
    You are correct, milkweed can be invasive.
    People mostly talk about growing the plant from seed, but once the plant gets established, it grows back from roots, and will come up everywhere!!!

There are several websites that will send out free milkweed seeds if you send them a SASE, or you can find milkweed plants growing in alleys, vacant lots, road right of ways and deserted areas. I am also happy to send seeds with your Swap returns, but I don't guarantee germination. My park ranger says germination is low, as does greekygirl, but I have had very good luck with my personal germination, so it apparently varies widely.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Katesk.
    I signed you up.

pouringdiva is offline Pink is not a color; It is a attitude!!
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are my ATCs. If these are acceptable I will drop in the mail tomorrow.
    Playing catch up in 52 APCs for 52 weeks of 2017
    Count down to 11/29/17 of activity so I can host my 1st Swap!

6. Likes alrice46 liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely cards, pouringdiva.
    Cool how you used quotes on three of them.

I particularly like the time lapse caterpillar to chrysalis card (third one)
    You picked a FAB quote!!!
    Interesting that you made that card....GREAT MINDS...I just made a very similar card using that same image.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great!! I am glad you like them. I ran across that picture yesterday after I spilled coffee on my last card. I will be dropping in the mail today.

I wouldn't mind getting a very similar card back in my returns hint hint!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Z View Post
    Lovely cards, pouringdiva.
    Cool how you used quotes on three of them.

I particularly like the time lapse caterpillar to chrysalis card (third one)
    You picked a FAB quote!!!
    Interesting that you made that card....GREAT MINDS...I just made a very similar card using that same image.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can I join this one? I have both common milkweed and butterfly milkweed in my yard.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love both of those!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Z View Post
    FALL FLOWERS

Monarchs need nectar to fuel their migration south. Although many flower gardens are bursting with flowers in the spring and in the summer, many plants die back in the Fall, and that is just when Monarchs need the nectar from them the most.

Help fuel the Monarch butterflies’ Fall Migration by planting Fall blooming flowers such as Zinnias. These nectar sources act as “gas” stations and “rest stops” in the Fall as Monarchs travel on their Southern Migration route.

Grow Zinnias!!!!
    One of the hardest working flowers. This plant attracts butterflies, hummingbirds, honeybees, and others. Also repels whiteflies in the garden.
    They are low maintenance, drought resistant.
    During spring and summer, deadhead the flowers to encourage new flower growth.
    In the late fall, save the seeds by letting the flowers dry fully on the stem.

Zinnia Card
    …..Three Layer Background
    …..Zinnia Image
    …..Zinnia Postage Stamp
    …..Fall Leaves Boarder
    …..Sticky Back Text

Monarch on Blazing Star Flower
    .....I have never grown this flower, but the Monarchs seem to like it, and that is reason enough for me to try to find out more about it. o)

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome naturenerd3.
    I signed you up.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    AWESOME cards received from pouringdiva.
    These are even more spectacular in person.
    Thanks so much for including a hostie card.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    The United States Postal Service has issued a sheet of postage stamps that promote the Monarch Butterfly and the honeybee.

If you need stamps, buy a sheet. They are useful as well as gorgeous.
    If you have not seen them, here is a link.
    https://store.usps.com/store/product...ators-S_475204

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Individual, then small groups, then larger groups, of Monarchs, fly south. On their way they meet up with other Monarchs, from other areas, going the same direction.

Eventually there are large enough groups of Monarchs flying together that they form a large, cloud-like pattern that can be seen on weather radar.

In October of 2017, this wave of Monarchs was documented by Denver weather radar as 70 miles (110 kilometers) wide.

This is Heaven
    Gathering Monarch Butterflies
    …..Magazine background
    …..3-D Pop Up Monarch
    …..Sticky back verbiage button

Arrival in Mexico and Mexican Traditions
    The Monarchs arrive in Mexico in early November, usually between November 1st or 2nd. Two events are taking place in Mexico when the Monarchs appear. One is a seasonal event, and the other is a cultural event. People in Mexico connect the arrival of the Monarchs with these events:

Seasonal Event - Monarchs and Corn Harvest.
    People in the region have noticed the arrival of Monarchs since pre-His panic times. In the language of the native Purepecha Indians, the Monarch butterfly is the called the harvester butterfly, because Monarchs appear when it is time to harvest the corn.

Cultural Event - Monarchs and DOTD
    Dia de los Muertos, the Mexican holiday Day of the Dead, also occurs when the Monarchs appear. The DOTD holiday honors the memory of loved ones who have died. According to traditional beliefs, the Monarchs are the souls of ancestors who are returning to Mexico for their annual visit with loved ones.

Monarchs and the Day of the Dead
    …..Magazine Background
    …..Day of the Dead Sticker
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 11-04-2017 at 02:25 PM.

15. Likes alrice46 liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reports are in of Monarch arrival in Mexico!!!!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cards for this swap are due IN MY HANDS in just over 3 weeks.
    As we approach Thanksgiving, mail volume increases, and as we get closer to Christmas, mail volume REALLY increases, plus mail transit time also increases.
    Please don't wait too long to create and mail your treasures to me.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot figure out how to post my cards to my gallery...of course. I will send out the cards, I already have them on a thumb drive and can post later.
    i think i figured out how to post them here, but not sure...
    greekygirl

mb1.jpg
    mb2.jpg
    mb3.jpg
    mb4.jpg
    LOVE: the most important four letter word you will ever say...

19. Likes alrice46 liked this post
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    ha! i surprised myself and figured it out!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!
    Yes, you figured it out, and posted your pictures perfectly.
    And it also looks like you figured out how to post your pictures to your gallery.
    AWESOME.

LOVE, LOVE your cards.
    I assume that is watercolor.
    FAB job.

GORGEOUS butterfly....you really captured the colors.
    LOVE the Monarch laying an egg on the underside of the milkweed leaf.....that is a unique picture.
    AWESOME fifth instar caterpillar with the white spots visible on the prolegs...another SPECTACULAR picture.
    And you have really captured the initial "J" shape the caterpillar makes just before going into the chrysalis.
    Thanks so much for making a hostie card....I don't know how I shall choose. I want them all.

Thanks for posting such wonderful inspiration.
    Last edited by Vicki Z; 11-11-2017 at 03:09 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vicki, just wanted to let you know that I put the cards into the mail on Friday. Friday was not a mail day, but wanted to get them out sooner rather than later. Keep an eye out for them!
    Yes, it is watercolor. I just got a new set that had more than the usual colors. They are cheap but think they came out OK. I also used some cheap paper I had in the house. I am in the middle of renovating my craft area and a lot of things are hiding.
    Glad I finished, hope they arrive soon!
    greekygirl aka: Kerry

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for letting me know you mailed.
    I will watch for your cards and post when they arrive.

Did you notice that one of your cards is posted on the home page to highlight this swap????
    It is the caterpillar going into its "J" shape prior to forming its chrysalis.
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    no, i hadn't noticed the card on the home page. thanks for letting me know! i usually go to my inbox, then look for subscriptions.
    that is my favorite card of my set, i really liked how it came out, though i was cursing having made it when i was painting those stripes! :0)