Media
Swap Due Date: December 1, 2017
Signup/Withdraw Date: December 1, 2017
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Medium: Any and all media and techniques are welcome

The Life Of The Monarch Butterfly, Due December 1, 2017

RETURNS MAILED 12/07

The Monarch Butterfly has been called the King of Butterflies, hence the name "Monarch".
Monarchs migrate, (like birds), going North as far as Canada in the summer, and South to Mexico to over-winter in a special area among the trees when it gets cold.

Last year there were 97% fewer migrating Monarch butterflies than at their recorded height and 50% less than there were the year before. This was a back to back decline in their overwintering numbers. Part of the problem is less open areas, and fewer milkweed plants growing in parks, roadsides, abandoned fields, and wild areas, particularly along the Monarch Migration route, as they travel from Mexico to Canada, and back again. The Monarch needs places to rest, feed, and lay eggs at all stops along their migratory route. The increase in people, homes, shopping centers, and asphalt covered parking areas, means less green space to support wild plants, such as milkweed.

MILKWEED PLANT
Have you ever thought about Milkweed plants, sometimes called “Butterfly Weed”, "Butterfly Milkweed" or "Butterfly Flower." The Milkweed plant is the ONLY PLANT upon which the Monarch Butterfly can lay its eggs and raise its young. The Milkweed plant is the ONLY PLANT that the Monarch young can eat. Adult Monarch Butterflies can live off the nectar of any nectar producing flower, but the Monarch caterpillars can ONLY consume, digest, and live on the Milkweed plants.

IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED THAT WE COULD LOSE THE MONARCH MIGRATION IN OUR LIFETIME, so I would like to make more people aware of the beauty of and the need for Monarch butterflies.

This is NOT a "butterfly" swap. This is a MONARCH BUTTERFLY SWAP.
Although this is a swap about the Monarch Butterfly, it is still a very broad swap.
You may wish to make ATCs about Milkweed plants, there are over 140 known species.
.....You could include information on one of the many legends of the Milkweed plant.
You may choose the nectar plants the adult Monarch Butterflies feed on
.....Fall flowers include Zinnias and Nasturtiums in particular
You could focus on the legend and lore of the Monarch Butterfly.
.....There are many superstitions about orange butterflies and Monarch Butterflies.
You could create ATCs of the neighbors and/or rivals of the Monarch Butterfly
......other butterflies such as the Yellow Tiger Swallowtail, who feed on the same nectar plants and who fight Monarchs for territorial rights.

Although I am allowing some flexibility, whatever focus you choose, please send in mostly Monarch (caterpillar or Butterfly) cards, or if sending in cards about flowers or milkweed plants, try to have a Monarch on the card as well. Do not try to turn this into a butterfly swap. This is, after all, a swap about Monarchs, although other focus, as well as other butterflies are allowed.

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.
Remember, whatever focus you choose, send in at least one card with a Monarch (caterpillar or Butterfly) on it if sending in 3 cards, or at least two ATCs with a Monarch Butterfly or caterpillar if sending in 6 cards.
This is, after all, a swap about Monarchs, although other butterflies are allowed.

* ALL mediums and techniques are welcome. Please make sure you add some depth to your cards, whatever style you choose. Your mediums can include, but are not limited to: paper, tissue paper, crayon, acrylic, watercolor, gel pens, colored pencil, rubber stamping, ink, newspaper clippings, magazine clippings, etc. Please do not take an image, cut it out, glue it to a card, and call it done. Color the background. Add some texture. Add more than one image. Make the ATC YOUR CREATION! I do ask that you send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

*Please sign up by posting to this thread.
* ONLY ATCs allowed. No APCs accepted.
* All cards need to be sent each in their own plastic sleeve. This is for their protection!
* All cards need to be standard atc size: 2.5” x 3.5”
* Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of all cards. And please write clearly on everything! We can't give you itrades and/or You Rock! points if we don't know who you are.
* All cards need to be sturdy enough to earn the name “card” (no floppy or flimsy paper). If it is created on a single sheet of paper, and "flimsy", please back your ATC with something stiffer, or more firm, such as a cereal box. Just as important, check for cards that are too thick. Each card must still be capable of fitting into the standard ATC sleeve. If your ATC will not fit into an ATC sleeve, it is too bulky.
* Please confirm there is enough postage on both the envelope you send to me, and the envelope I need to send back to you.
* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, with 49 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards; or one forever and one 21 cent stamp if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy or extra bulky (or 2 forever stamps if that is easier).

* International participants, if you have U.S. funds, or U.S. postage, it is greatly appreciated. However, since many of you do not have access to U.S. stamps, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. If you send me a small envy, the cards get stacked. When I use the 4 inch by 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for basic (minimum) postage.

* Cards are due IN MY HANDS by December 1, 2017. Returns will be mailed promptly. Late cards will be returned, as it is unfair to those participants who always have their cards in early, or on time.

* A hostie card in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed.

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

Last edited:
Current Participants
The Life of the Monarch Butterfly
Due December 1, 2017

1. alrice46 - it - Cards Received 12/01
*2. Apyjoy85 - it - Cards Received 11/25
*3. greekygirl - it - Cards Received 11/18
*4. xela7072 - it - Cards Received 10/13
*5. pouringdiva - it - Cards Received 10/25
*/. Rosa WITHDREW
*/. Lisabomb - NO CARDS NO COMMUNICATION
*6. londonont1 - it - Cards Received 10/07 * CANADA
*7. Boots - Cards Received 10/07
8. CharmingB - it - Cards Received 10/07 * CANADA
*/. Cookieman - NO CARDS NO COMMUNICATION
*9. Firefly - it - Cards Received 11/25
10. Just Ducky - it - Cards Received 10/13
*11. sillylily41 Cards Received
*//. hope97 - NO CARDS NO COMMUNICATION
*12. Fandanie - it - Cards Received 11/25
*13. Vicki Z - Cards Received 10/13
//. lenoralb - NO CARDS NO COMMUNICATION
//. Katesk - NO CARDS NO COMMUNICATION
*14. naturenerd3 - it - Cards Received 11/25

* INTERNATIONAL

Last edited:
i planted milkweed in my yard about six years ago. i have gotten a nice patch going now, and had a lot of females laying eggs all summer. in fact, it was the best summer ever!
i am currently raising monarchs, have just released the 49th today. i have four to let go tomorrow morning and about 8-10 more after that. this generation goes down to mexico to await return in the spring. :0)
i would enjoy doing this swap, but can only do three cards. haven't been here in ages, but maybe this is meant to be!
greekygirl

i planted milkweed in my yard about six years ago. i have gotten a nice patch going now, and had a lot of females laying eggs all summer. in fact, it was the best summer ever!
i am currently raising monarchs, have just released the 49th today. i have four to let go tomorrow morning and about 8-10 more after that. this generation goes down to mexico to await return in the spring. :0)
i would enjoy doing this swap, but can only do three cards. haven't been here in ages, but maybe this is meant to be!
greekygirl

How positively AWESOME!!!!
I raise Monarch, but the numbers vary from year to year.
The ones you have succeeding in raising, in NY, is SPECTACULAR.

When I first planted milkweed, it did NOT come up.
One park ranger I spoke with said only 1 in 100 milkweed seeds germinate, but in my experience, that is NOT accurate information.
Anyhow, once the milkweed gets going, it reproduces itself by underground roots, so the seeds are much less necessary for reproduction, anyway.

Yes, making 3 cards is wonderful!
I have signed you up.

Last edited:
Lurkers welcome, CharmingB.
You have Monarch Butterflies, other butterflies, Monarch caterpillars, other caterpillars, Milkweed plants, other plants.........etc. etc. from which to create your cards.
Take your pick.
Come on back.

Although Monarch Butterflies have been recorded in Southern Canada and Northern Minnesota and the central United States as late as September 20th, they usually start gathering, clustering, and preparing to migrate South in early to mid August.

Last edited:
I'm in! I love them ~ I have even let most of my property around my gardens grow over with milkweed ;) After not seeing anything for four years :( (I am also surrounded with corn & potato fields) I have seen two monarch this fall and someone is eating the milkweed! Finally Yay :)

I find that 8am number pretty cool! I've had some emerge, but once we had to delay dinner to watch one emerge ~ a room full of awestruck adults too! Then I had one emerge right at lunch time so I had an entire kindergarten and 1st grade classes late to the cafeteria! Priorities, you know!

Welcome Lisabomb, both to this site and to this swap.
I have signed you up.
If you have any questions at all, please ask.
We are friendly folk here, and are always glad to help out with questions.

Back
Top Bottom