The Life Of The Monarch Butterfly, Due December 1, 2017

Hi everyone--
Could someone remind me how to post my cards here before I send them? I have not done it in a long while and have no idea where to begin!
Thanks in advance!
greekygirl

The information on how to post your cards to the thread is in the "FAQs", along with most other information you might ever need.
The "FAQs" can be reached by going to the tool bar at the top of your computer, click on "FAQs" and follow the information.

To make it easy for you, here is a breakdown by image location, or where you are pulling your card pictures from.

HOW TO POST YOUR ART TO THE THREAD:
According to Jewels:
Easiest way is with attachments. You hit the 'Go Advanced' button under the typing box. Scroll down and hit 'Manage Attachments' button. New window pops up. Hit 'Browse' and find your picture file. Hit 'Upload'. You can put up to 5 pictures on one Post. When you're done, you close the browsing window and hit the 'Submit Reply' button to post them to the thread.

Second way is to copy/paste. They need to be in your gallery for this one. I open 2 tabs... one to the thread and one to the gallery. Right click on the picture and scroll down the list. Click on 'Copy Image Location'. Move to Thread posting box. Hit the picture postcard icon along the top. Paste over the http/// stuff. Hit 'OK' button. You can paste as many picts in as you want this way. Just make sure to put space in between them.
Jpeg files work the best for uploading. A size of 8-12 kb will be of sufficient size.

According to the FAQs
From your atcsforall.com gallery:
It’s easiest to have two windows open, or two tabs open.
I can create another "tab" and get to my gallery in one and be in my post reply box in the other.

Internet Explorer
1 Go to the main page of your gallery & right click on the picture you wish to post - this brings up a menu which has “properties” at the bottom.
2) Right click on “properties”, and it will show you "Address (URL)"Highlight the address/url and copy (Ctrl C).
Then follow steps 3 - 5 below
Note: Your picture will come up as large. Most folks use small or medium in the thread.

Mozella Firefox and Mac Safari (most versions)
1) Go to the main page of your gallery & right click on the picture you wish to post - this brings up a menu that includes “Copy Image Location” (which is about 2/3 down the list for me)
2) Click on the “Copy Image Location”
Then follow steps 3 - 5

3) Go to your post in the thread and click on the "insert image" button (looks like a postcard)
4) Paste the address (right click, click paste or Ctrl P) into the window that pops up and hit OK - that puts the code into your post for your picture to show up; (you paste the address from the properties box over the http thingy that shows when you open the "insert image" box)
5) Remember that images from the gallery are small, medium or large. Most folks use small or medium in the thread. Find the word small, medium or large (or letters s m l) in the address and change it to size you want.

http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gallery/images/400/small/1_Maygar_Posta-traded.jpg [/IMG

(leaving the last bracket off the above so you can see how the address will look)

To upload images from your computer:

Google
1. Click the POST REPLY button at the bottom of the messages screen. You will get a pop up message box. Above the message box, click the paperclip next to the smiley face. (The paperclip appears if your browser is Google, or Google Chrome, but does NOT appear if your Browser is Internet Explorer.) Next upload your pictures as usual. This will upload your picture as a thumbnail.

Internet Explorer
2. If you go into the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the messages screen, then you need to click on the GO ADVANCED button and you will get the paperclip above the message box. (Again, the paperclip appears if your browser is Google, or Google Chrome, but does NOT appear if your Browser is Internet Explorer.)

Lovely cards and I did not know that about zinnias. I don't suppose they grow in the dark? My backyard is so dark --- lots of trees and stuff from all of the surrounding houses and 3 trees in my yard. Keeps the house cooler during summer, but fall and winter are pretty darned cold. I do love some zinnias, though.

Zinnias do grow in shade, but they do better in sunlight.
I had to monitor the sun shadow for a couple of years to find out where to plant my zinnias for the best "bang for my buck".

First it was the problem with the house shadow, then the garage shadow, then the other trees shadow, but I found a small spot that was NOT shaded, and the zinnias went crazy, as did the Hummingbirds, the Hummingbird moths, the Painted Ladies, the honey bees, and the MONARCHS.

AWESOME cards received from xela7072 and Just Ducky.
Thanks to each of you for including a hostie card.

Here are my cards for the swap! I didn't realize until after I had already painted it, but the "Monarch" with wings spread is not quite accurate. My reference photo labeled it as a Monarch but it seems it's a Viceroy instead? The pattern is slightly different than a Monarch. Also. Painting the symmetry of the spread wing Viceroy and Tiger Swallowtail (a butterfly that competes with the MOnarch for feeding grounds) kicked my hiney! Good practice in that realm and one I need more in!

LOVE your cards.
Thanks for posting such FAB examples!!!!
GREAT job painting them.

CONGRATULATIONS on noticing the difference in butterflies.
Yes, that does look more like a viceroy than a Monarch.
Good catch!!! :notworthy:

Lurking......I've been planting milkweed in more spots in my yard every year. I am also seeing more monarch's in my yard each year.

In Mexico on Day of Dead...Monarchs are considered returning souls due to their migration pattern... they return to Mexico around Day of the Dead. This is why you see Monarchs sometimes depicted in Day of Dead pictures.

Lurking......I've been planting milkweed in more spots in my yard every year. I am also seeing more monarch's in my yard each year.

In Mexico on Day of Dead...Monarchs are considered returning souls due to their migration pattern... they return to Mexico around Day of the Dead. This is why you see Monarchs sometimes depicted in Day of Dead pictures.

CONGRATULATIONS AND KUDOS, KARCH.
I only wish more people planted more milkweed, in more places, every year.

There are two versions of the date of the Monarch return to Mexico.
One firmly states November 1st, comparing the Monarch arrival, with the Legend of the return of the Swallows of Capistrano. The other version lists a date range that varies from year to year, coinciding with the Day of the Dead.

Since all the Monarchs do not arrive all exactly, all together, all at the same time, all at the same tree, in the Oyamel Fir forests of Mexico, a flexible date is probably more accurate.

Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) 2017 in United States of America will begin on
Tuesday, October 31
and ends on
Thursday, November 2nd.

hi all--
just a tip for those of you who want to plant milkweed, keep to a local variety if you can. know that it can be invasive, too. in five years, i have quite a large patch from just one plant. i would say that i have about 70 plants now! i also believe they don't have the greatest germination rate from seed, so may be better to find a plant. i planted common milkweed that i found growing wild. like most perennials, they like being planted in the autumn.
this year, for the first time, i lost a few to tachinid fly parasitism. i lost about 4-5 out of 67, but it was a reminder to get the eggs before flies can find them. it was also the first year i had milkweed a lot of milkweed bugs. i don't think they will harm the monarchs, though.
i can guarantee you that you will love seeing the females coming and laying eggs. and if you are lucky enough to get butterflies, it will be a great experience you will never forget!
kerry

Welcome hope97 and Fandanie.
I signed you up.
I also sent you my address so you know where to send your completed ATCs.

Last edited:
Welcome lenoralb.
I signed you up.
I also sent you my address so you know where to mail your cards.

hope97
As previously mentioned, I signed you up, and I also sent you my address again so you know where to send your cards.

Last edited:
VickiZ, please move me to the lurking couch for now. I have family fire evacuees staying with me, life's been turned upside down, and I don't know how long until things are back to normal. This, of course, also disrupts my ATC spaces. I'm missing stuff and I'm kind of frustrated since I know that I put it somewhere and simply can't locate it. Ah, new task for today. Find missing stuff.

Back
Top Bottom