Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #Inktober 2017 Challenge

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like

#Inktober 2017 Challenge

Boost your creativity!
    Practice good daily drawing habits!
    Remember what it's like to just draw for yourself!

These are some of the benefits people have said they've received from participating in the worldwide Inktober challenge over the last several years.

Every October, artists all over the world take on the Inktober drawing challenge by doing one ink drawing a day the entire month.

Here are what I'll call "AFA rules" for this, a slight variation on Mr. Jake Parker's "official rules,"
    (1) make drawings in ink, as many or as few a day as you like
    (2) post them
    (3) repeat throughout October

Here's a link to the official website:
    http://mrjakeparker.com/inktober

Jake asks that you also tag your drawings with #inktober & #inktober2017. That's your choice. I don't understand tags or know if they make it from this website to big wide electronic world.

Here's a list of some of the great resources on the http://mrjakeparker.com/inktober website:

*A 2-minute video about Inktober
    *A prompt list you can use if that helps you decide what to draw
    *A list of suggested black pens, well ink, white ink, etc, and you can use ANY ink you want or have around
    *A link to Jake Parker's 2-hour $25 SVS class that I bet is awesome

I'll post the prompt list in the next post...
    Last edited by KPinAK; 09-27-2017 at 01:30 PM.
    Having fun in October on the Inktober Challenge! Stop in the thread & visit!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the Inktober prompt list. Feel free to use it...or NOT use it! Your choice!

Here's a link to it in my gallery: http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/gall...x.php?n=511303

And, again, the link to official Inktober website...
    http://mrjakeparker.com/inktober

Hope to see you in the thread! Feel free to participate whether or not you ink anything! Even if just draw a doodle with a ballpoint pen, post it here anytime! While we're at it, let's include alcohol ink! So if you draw, paint, dribble, etc with loose alcohol ink, alcohol ink markers, etc, post it here!
    Last edited by KPinAK; 09-27-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in. I love to doodle in ink.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me too! I'm planning to draw some with ink pens & paint some with India ink. Or combos of the two. Cant wait to see what you come up with, catsndogs!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! I think I am going to cut 31 atcs and put the 31 prompts as the titles on the back. Lets see how I do then.
    Last edited by Linda4atc; 09-30-2017 at 01:11 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I will gladly take up this challenge. I'm focusing on ink and watercolor beginning October 1 so the timing is perfect.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love just doing pen and ink. I'll join casually and drop in to see what everyone's doing.
    "The everlasting God is your place of safety,
    and his arms will hold you up forever... ."
    ~ Deuteronomy 33:27 ~

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started prepping my sketchbook a couple days ago with the themes, one per page. Since I'm actually planning this time instead of jumping in blindly, I'm hoping to also use this exercise as a prep for NaNoWriMo... but will see how it goes. As for the tagging, that's really only if you're posting your work to Twitter/Facebook/Instagram and so on. For example, I posted a pic of my sketchbook prep on Instagram with the Inktober tag and now I can click on the tag on my post to see all the other Instagram photos that have been posted with that same tag.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Checking in. I will most likely use ATC blanks, probably will follow the prompts too. Not sure how far I'll get

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool!!

Strivaria, tell us more about nanowrimo & how your Inktober pieces will help you with that!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blank ATCs for me too. I'm guessing Zentangling would be OK, it is ink after all. I like the idea of putting prompts on the back of each one, then I can catch up. My visitor departs Tuesday, so come Wednesday I'm having an artfest (well after changing the beds, doing the washing etc etc).
    Currently hosting - HD/HP Decorated letters - D, E, F - http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?34765
    Colour Wheel, Complementary Colours.
    [url]http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?34826

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no requirement to always use the prompts, correct? For example if I use it one day then then next I decide not to use it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished day 1. My gallery is full so I am posting on my instagram/facebook pages if anyone wants to see.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverieJJ View Post
    There's no requirement to always use the prompts, correct? For example if I use it one day then then next I decide not to use it.
    I don't think you have to use them at all, so yes you can pick and choose. I kind of like the challenge. For today I am tempted to skip it because my animals are not so good. But maybe that is why I need to use the Swift prompt, LOL

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda4atc View Post
    I don't think you have to use them at all, so yes you can pick and choose. I kind of like the challenge. For today I am tempted to skip it because my animals are not so good. But maybe that is why I need to use the Swift prompt, LOL
    Yes! I found it difficult to figure out something to draw for 'Swift', that was why I just had to ask lol

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I dug out an old book on drawing the big cats and found an image. I drew it with pencil then with a Micron pen. I felt it needed color so I used watercolors on it.
    Swift atc pending trade
    Last edited by Linda4atc; 10-01-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, everyone!

Prompts are totally optional. The main idea is to get the pens and/or ink out & use 'em at least a little bit most days.

And If you want to use prompts. Interpret them however you want on any day you want. To me, a swift is a device I put a skein of yarn on to unwind it as I wind a warp to weave fabric on my loom. I plan to draw a detail of one today, and most people will have no idea why I drew this weird wooden thing that looks like the workings under an umbrella:-)

Somewhere in one of these Challenge threads I posted some links to websites discussing how powerful even just a little daily practice helps develop any skill. I'll try to dig those back out. Anyone have any anecdotal evidence of that in their your own experience? Or links to interesting info along those lines?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so, color is allowed too? Like I can do ink with watercolor? Pen and wash?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    That zebra looks pretty scared up there. Good job with the action scene Linda.

When I saw the prompt "swift" I thought of the bird, like a chimney swift for example. But then I drew the Pepsi bottle sitting in front of me instead.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think he has color in the official Inktober, but our little AFA version is free to do what ever our muse dictates. Ohh and I kept thinking Taylor Swift but wanted to do something else, LOL