Book Lover Unite! Personalized Bookshelf Mid October PAT-due January 5, 2018

I would love to join this but I am having trouble working out how to show book spines with details on them in just collage/mixed media.
I have a cross-stitch pattern for books on a shelf but I would never be able to fit names and authors on the books. Not too many books are shown spine on so I can't even collage pictures I have found.

I have just been made a liar (ain't Google amazing?!?) As long as the book is not too obscure all I have to do is Google 'Book spine (name of book)' and I get images to choose from.

Sign me up to Group 3 - collage/mixed media.

My list:
any of the Pern/dragon books by Anne McCaffrey
The Crystal singer trilogy by Anne McCaffrey
any of the Camel Club books by David Baldacci
Dune by Frank Herbert (NONE by his son)
Scarecrow by Matthew Reilly
any of the series of 'Miss Peregrine's peculiar children' by Ransom Riggs
any of the Dwarves series by Markus Heitz
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
any book by Agatha Christie
any of the Rain Wild Chronicles by Robin Hobb

better stop here or there will be no room left for anyone else :D

ChronicReader - have you read the extensions of her series written by her son? He has kept very true to the original style and ideas.
I have to admit that I have 2 shelves (2 books deep) of Anne McCaffrey novels. I also enjoy her others series - the Powers That Be (or Petaybee), Acorna, the Brain ships, Doona (I always wanted to be part cat), etc.

Great list, kkporcupine! Before I had even heard of the classic "Great Expectations ", I saw a miniature diorama behind glass which just fascinated me. It was the scene of Miss Haversham seated at a long table beautifully set including a wedding cake. This bride did not look happy, and she appeared elderly. I was just so intrigued I had to find and read the book! (I forgot to include it on my list, but it certainly was memorable!)

I haven't read his books, I will have to look into them.

Kkporcupibe, I love so many of the books on your list.....

This swap has me wanting to reread a bunch of books I haven't read in a while... If only I had the time.

I added my booklist for Group 2 to my first original post, page 2 of this thread! Thank you...hope I'm not too late for posting it!!! :)

Please add me to Group 3! Love this idea, although I don't know how my execution will be--lol! I have to put at least 5 books on each card, yes?
I hope people post pics!
On my bookshelf would be:
Little, Big by John Crowley
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Long Dark Teatime of the Soul by Douglas Adams
any and all of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series--link to titles https://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/discworld-reading-order/
Alice in Wonderland
Lord of the Rings Trilology
The Hours by Michael Cunningham
Witches of Eastwick by John Updike
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
That should keep your busy! :D

Last edited:
HELP !

I have either got the wrong end of the stick, or bitten off more than I can chew.

I drew a stack of books, but it is almost impossible to fit names and authors on the spine in such a tiny format. I looked up each book to check colour etc, but there are many different versions. Am I overthinking this?

I think the next one will be just a straight row, perspective was a nightmare :embarrassed:

Would you recognise these as yours dithespy?

You are right, Ann, it's the perspective that makes the titles difficult to do in this small space. In fact, it's a challenging perspective in every way, I think it looks great, I'm pretty impressed.

Kimmie, was "They Loved to Laugh" about a family in on the Baltic Sea? Latvia? It's very fuzzy, but I swear I read that title years ago...

Sign me up for Group 3 please:

The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B - J. P. Donleavy
The Joy Luck Club - Amy Tan
Rabbit-Proof Fence - Doris Pilkington
Slumdog Millionaire - Vikas Swarup
Gulag Archipelago - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie
Origins - Neil deGrassse Tyson
Future Babble - Dan Gardner

Last edited:
And we are full! Welcome BluSkyeHare and JoyceG! I am busily doing some pro-d for work, so I have to check in and run :S

I will read the rest of your posts later!! :) Happy Friday!

I am moving this to the Active Thread!

Kimmie, was "They Loved to Laugh" about a family in on the Baltic Sea? Latvia? It's very fuzzy, but I swear I read that title years ago...

It's setting is a Quaker Settlement during colonial times where an affluent, orphaned young lady, Kat, comes to live with a large Quaker family with many rowdy sons. It's just such a sweet, charming read! Back in the day during school after lunch, our teacher lowered the lights and read aloud to the class this book a few chapters per day....and I NEVER forgot it. I found a reprint of it on ebay last year because I had to have it! lol

My book list is in post #25 of this thread for Group 2; so, smallgirl, if you need to link my list to the sign up page, that's where you'll find it! :) Thanks!!

Now I want to read that, Kimmie! I wonder if I confused the title with something I was reading at the same time....

Ann, I'm doing a couple of mine the same way you did and it was really hard with the weird perspective. But yours look great! My first card I collaged with tiny little books in a bookcase. Not sure I can get the titles on there, but I'm going to give it a shot. Looking at the examples in the original post, I think we could do a simpler version. I'm doing some just the spines and trying to look up some fancy decorations for them. :) Yes, there are lots of versions of most books, so there's no "wrong" way to decorate them.

I have either got the wrong end of the stick, or bitten off more than I can chew.

I drew a stack of books, but it is almost impossible to fit names and authors on the spine in such a tiny format. I looked up each book to check colour etc, but there are many different versions. Am I overthinking this?

I think the next one will be just a straight row, perspective was a nightmare :embarrassed:

Would you recognise these as yours dithespy?

Back
Top Bottom