Tarot-inspired Swap, open media, due January 12, 2018

I do not have a Rider deck, although one of the main decks. I like the images but don't like all the yellow (not my fav color). I only have the Aquarian, although I do like the Visconti deck.
There is a novel by John Crowley titled Little, Big, in which a deck of tarot features prominently. But that deck has some strange, different cards, such as "the Fisherman" and "the Vista" and "the Cousin". Has anyone read this book?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little,_Big

I do not have a Rider deck, although one of the main decks. I like the images but don't like all the yellow (not my fav color). I only have the Aquarian, although I do like the Visconti deck.
There is a novel by John Crowley titled Little, Big, in which a deck of tarot features prominently. But that deck has some strange, different cards, such as "the Fisherman" and "the Vista" and "the Cousin". Has anyone read this book?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little,_Big

I have not read Little, Big but it sounds interesting! I will definitely have to look it up! I actually just finished Murder on Waverly Place, which is part of the Gaslight Mystery series. The tarot cards don't make an appearance, but the murder does take place during a seance. Interest in the occult really surged in the late 1800s (when the book takes place), and it was an interesting read. :)

The Rider-Waite-Smith deck has long been one of the most popular tarot decks on the market. How many of you have this one? I have a copy! :)View attachment 190130

I don't know how many Rider Waite decks I've worn out lol! Mary Greer, the tarot scholar lives in my area (Nevada County CA), but long before we moved here I heard her a few times lecture in the bay area. She wrote a book about the women of the Golden Dawn. For those of you who didn't know, the Golden Dawn was the European spiritual society that sponsored the competition for the first "new" tarot deck. The deck Waite directed and Pamela Coleman Smith painted won and that was the first of the new decks. Pamela's name was included on the first decks but was later bumped when the name was changed to Rider Waite. So it went for so many female artists (sigh). Mary Greer discovered that, although the men took all the credit (Arthur Waite included) it was actually the women who channeled the information for them. Mary has written some great "how to" books on the tarot as well.

Last edited:
That is indeed interesting! I grew up knowing the deck as the Rider-Waite, but noticed when researching it that many referred to it as the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, which I thought was more appropriate! I am a bit embarassed to admit that despite my interest in the tarot, and owning several decks, I cannot do a reading without using a book for assistance. I am absolutely fascinated by those who can interpret a spread without the assistance of a book or cheat-sheet of some kind.

lindalee, how did you learn and become proficient?

I've just been researching this and see that Minor arcana cards are based on normal playing cards. Could we alter a playing card showing just the number and suit?

That's an excellent question, ann_stebbing! The tarot are indeed tied to historic playing cards. I don't collect Altered Playing Cards; however, I would still trade an APC because I just consider the exposed card elements (number/suit) as being part of the card's composition, rather than specifically representing a playing card (if that makes sense). Having said that, I know many folks on the site don't trade APCs because they don't "collect" APCs.

To get back to your question... Considering the tarot's connection to playing cards, and since this is a tarot-inspired swap, I would say go for it! Maybe just include other elements that are also tarot-inspired, rather than using the number/suit as the only tarot connection.

If any of the swap players specifically do NOT want to receive a card that would also technically qualify as an APC, then please message me and I will certainly respect that request.

Thanks for that. I absolutely was going for the Tarot theme. If I use one it will only by the number and suit I would leave showing. There are some fabulous examples of Tarot Art to choose from. Even though it's not something I would dabble in, I have seen one or two lovely packs I might buy simply for art inspiration. I do sort of collect playing cards (not seriously). It's one of the things I often pick up on my travels as some of them contain lots of lovely pictures of the region/country.

ann_stebbing, I collect playing cards, too--ever since I was a kid. I don't know why I don't collect tarot cards...maybe because they are more expensive? :laugh:

Welcome, GingerBreadMan13, both to A4A and to the Tarot Swap! So happy you could join us! :)

Oops. I was rushing round as hubby was going out, so I thought I'd get him to post my cards. You guessed it. I forgot to take photos. Sorry. But they are on their way.

Oops. I was rushing round as hubby was going out, so I thought I'd get him to post my cards. You guessed it. I forgot to take photos. Sorry. But they are on their way.

No worries at all, ann_stebbing! I'll be on the lookout for them. Should be about a week or a little more! :)

Back
Top Bottom