Band Names Made Visible - Open Media due Feb 1st.

pancake machine

The Dude abides
Staff member
Super Mod
Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Swap Due Date: February 1st, 2018
Withdrawal deadline: none, but please communicate!
Number of Cards: 3 for 3
Number of Participants: unlimited

Band Names Made Visible - open media - due Feb 1st.

The idea for this swap is to visualize the names of bands. In other words, what does the actual name of the band look like on a card. For my examples, I've provided a card for the band Nine Inch Nails and another card for The Flaming Lips.

View attachment 190027 View attachment 190028

Swap Requirements ~
1. Each card must represent the name of the band. You can add other elements, such as lyrics, album covers or whatnot, but the name of the band must be rendered in a picture format. So in my example of Nine Inch Nails, I did add the name of their first album, but more importantly I made a number of nails that were made to be "nine inches". Please ask if you are unsure.

Any band name limits? I don't think so, although some could be really hard. I'm not sure how you would visually represent The Who or Portugal the Man, but if you can figure a way to represent an abstract name, go for it.

What about singers? yeah... I've gone back and forth on singers. I would encourage you to choose band names, but if there is a singer that can be represented visually I'd be okay with that. So someone like Prince or Madonna or even a John Cougar would be okay, but Ed Sheeran, or John Coltraine, or Dave Matthews would not fit. Singers can be tricky I think, so if you're unsure ask on the thread or send me a message.

Can we use homophones? - Sure. I can see doing a bunch of beetles, and I'm sure there are others out there I'm not considering right now.

2. All cards should be standard 3.5” x 2.5”
3. This swap is 3 for 3. An extra card for the host is welcome, but completely optional.

Extra Fun

So this is about bands - in most cases you'll probably like the band you are making a card of. So if you want, add a link to one of their songs in YouTube. Please give a heads up if the song or video is particularly dark.

The Flaming Lips - Do you Realize? - Love this song. It is happy, sad, and very pretty.

Other stuff

Mailing Information ~
* Include username, real name, your state/country and the swap name on the back of all cards - and put username and swap name on all envelopes sent.
* US Participants – Please include EITHER a clearly written SASE or a mailing label and stamp.
* International Participants - Please send a clearly-addressed envelope or mailing label and I will cover postage.

*If you let me know by sending me a note with your cards, I'll try and swap like media for like media. In other words if you submitted collage and request it, I'll only send you collage cards (or if you only wanted hand drawn, etc.) However, there are no guarantees in this swap, as it will be dependent on what types of cards I get.

*Late cards past a day or so will be returned.

*When you receive your returns, please leave I-Trader for your swap host and rep points for the artists of the cards you receive. Also, in your rep points, naming which card you received is nice, since people like to know where their artworks end up.

Players

1. Kynara
2. Dithespy
3. Allegrae
4. BluskyHare
5. Wolfmoon
6. Sillylily41
7. withdrawn
8. Zandradee
9. withdrawn
10. Beaksalot
11. CharmingB

Last edited:
Welcome Sillylily41!

Lurk on Chronicreader. I'm fine with any bands, as long as the name can be visualized. There was a Chinese techno band from the 90s I really liked called Grasshopper. Not sure if they went by the English or if that was a translation. Either way they would work.

Sure thing ChronicReader. I'm updating the swap profile as I get questions. I had anticipated the singer question, but hadn't thought about homophones. I'd say the classic example would be The Beatles, and a homophone would be fine for them, or other bands where it works.

So my other card is for Nine Inch Nails. Dark, industrial, and influential band. From their first album, Head like a Hole

Best. Album. Ever... lol (ok, one of the best) I think I've listened to Pretty Hate Machine more than almost any other album I have, close seconds would be Violent Femmes self titled album, Sgt. Pepper's and the White Album hehe but I grew up listening to the Beatles, so that's not a fair comparison...

Downward Spiral was ok, but I think the only other NIN album I really like is With Teeth.

I'm very much with you on NIN. I love their first album, but after that it has been more individual songs, although with teeth is pretty good. And now I don't really do albums.

Hard telling what my most played album would be, maybe Master of Puppets by Metallica.

Back
Top Bottom