Jane Austen Swap, open media, due May 31st, 2018

Just passing by but had to answer this question! (Maybe I'll join later?)
I think my favorite would have to be the Colin Firth version. It's long enough that they could develop the characters a little more. The Keira Knightly version was too short and I thought the acting was not as good. They had to leave out too much. And I just think Colin Firth is dreamy, lol.

Which movie version of Pride and Predjudice is your favorite? :)

View attachment 193960

I'm in agreement with plumhill. The first time I saw the Keira Knightly one, I hated it (have watched it again recently and do like it okay now). I've seen the Jennifer Ehle/Colin Firth one so many times. Nothing compares to it. My other favorite film is Persuasion with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds. Love, love, love it!

I think I'm going to have to revisit the BBC Pride and Prejudice. We watched it in Brit Lit in high school, but it's been many years since then. I did love the Keira Knightly rendition and have watched it countless times. But I would also have to agree with prex79, that if we're talking about other Jane novels, I absolutely LOVE Persuasion with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds. They are perfect!!

prex, it's not a Jane novel, but have you seen the BBC's North & South serial based on Elizabeth Gaskell's novel? I just discovered it a few years ago and was totally obsessed. Who wouldn't drool over Richard Armitage?

Going down a rabbit trail here. I don't mean to derail the Jane Austen discussion, but when you mentioned Richard Armitage it reminded me of a movie I watched called The Impressionists. I couldn't place the face of the lead character, and then suddenly I remembered. Oh yeah! Thorin Oakenshield! (I'm an Armitage fan; just don't always remember his name!) The Impressionists was on YouTube and is interesting for us artistic types. Now...back to Jane Austen. ;)

prex, it's not a Jane novel, but have you seen the BBC's North & South serial based on Elizabeth Gaskell's novel? I just discovered it a few years ago and was totally obsessed. Who wouldn't drool over Richard Armitage?[/QUOTE]

I think I'm going to have to revisit the BBC Pride and Prejudice. We watched it in Brit Lit in high school, but it's been many years since then. I did love the Keira Knightly rendition and have watched it countless times. But I would also have to agree with prex79, that if we're talking about other Jane novels, I absolutely LOVE Persuasion with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds. They are perfect!!

prex, it's not a Jane novel, but have you seen the BBC's North & South serial based on Elizabeth Gaskell's novel? I just discovered it a few years ago and was totally obsessed. Who wouldn't drool over Richard Armitage?

Yes, I have. In fact I recently rewatched it, within the past month or so.

Welcome to the lurkers' couch, pouringdiva and bastcrystal! Hope you can join us! :)

Going down a rabbit trail here. I don't mean to derail the Jane Austen discussion, but when you mentioned Richard Armitage it reminded me of a movie I watched called The Impressionists. I couldn't place the face of the lead character, and then suddenly I remembered. Oh yeah! Thorin Oakenshield! (I'm an Armitage fan; just don't always remember his name!) The Impressionists was on YouTube and is interesting for us artistic types. Now...back to Jane Austen. ;)

Oh yes! I liked him as Thorin Oakenshield also! Will have to look up The Impressionists! On a different note, I just picked up the BBC's Pride and Prejudice from our library today. :)

If I someday get to England, I would love to visit Jane Austen's house, which is a museum that bills itself as "the most treasured Austen site in the world." :) Have any of you been lucky enough to visit?

View attachment 194140

Lurking for now. To be honest, I haven't read Jane Austen...but I like the time period and think it could be fun to make cards for this. Just wondering if it's fair, since I'm not really an Austen fan?

Here’s the cards I made yesterday. If they meet the guidelines, please sign me up! If they are ok, I need to make two more, one for me to keep & another one to send in for a hostess card.

I too have only watched “Persuasion” the movie not read the book. I found the audiobook on YouTube & am listening to it while I make these cards. Yes, the movies leave out a lot!

Nanvan, if you are a romantic, You will love Jane Austen. Perhaps start with one of the movie adaptations?

So I have a confession. I went to a book store and bought a copy of persuasion and am loving it.

Good for you, pouringdiva! :) I absolutely love Persuasian. I feel like it gets overlooked a lot, but it is one of my favorites. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom